Trolls and Forum Quality

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
13-03-2014, 02:49 PM
RE: Trolls and Forum Quality
(13-03-2014 02:31 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Everyone is asking for a system yet we almost have one in place already, all we need to do is start banning the people. What the hell do we have a reputation score for if not to identify trolls.
Mostly to identify non-admin theists. Angel

I'm not a troll, and I know from prior experience that drich and Lion IRC are not trolls. One or more people above have noted that many people here are too quick to cry troll. That's absolutely correct.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes alpha male's post
13-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Tuff call, but I dont see the rep thing being a good indicator, since sometimes mob mentality takes over.

Some trolls are obvious and some people have a better 6th sense early on, but then again that could be misjudged also ( I was just recently guilty of that myself).

No clear cut answer to the question at hand tho, other than to let the mods do their job as they see fit.

This is a free internet forum, with rules spelled out, not a democracy where the majority rule.

Everyone should get a fair shake, and if it gets out of hand, then lets have our fun and then the mods can choose to shut it down or not.

Play within the parameters of the rules and all is fair game...... IMHO

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
13-03-2014, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2014 03:02 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)
(13-03-2014 02:49 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 02:31 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Everyone is asking for a system yet we almost have one in place already, all we need to do is start banning the people. What the hell do we have a reputation score for if not to identify trolls.
Mostly to identify non-admin theists. Angel

I'm not a troll, and I know from prior experience that drich and Lion IRC are not trolls. One or more people above have noted that many people here are too quick to cry troll. That's absolutely correct.

That may be true, but there is absolutely no doubt that Miss Meng was a troll. She was banned for sock-puppetry over on AF and her main sock had a completely different personality and posting style. Miss Meng is a fabricated personality, she is solely here to disrupt and annoy and this is self-evident in her arrogant and condescending posting style which is present in ALL her posts. She spends very little time actually giving details on her views and spends much more time mocking the viewpoints of others, which is rather inconsistent with her claimed goal of "clearing up confusion" regarding Christianity. She also had horrible grammar for her first few posts, then somehow learned the language over night and corrected them all just a few days later.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
13-03-2014, 03:08 PM
(13-03-2014 02:59 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  That may be true, but there is absolutely no doubt that Miss Meng was a troll. She was banned for sock-puppetry over on AF and her main sock had a completely different personality and posting style. Miss Meng is a fabricated personality, she is solely here to disrupt and annoy and this is self-evident in her arrogant and condescending posting style which is present in ALL her posts. She spends very little time actually giving details on her views and spends much more time mocking the viewpoints of others, which is rather inconsistent with her claimed goal of "clearing up confusion" regarding Christianity. She also had horrible grammar for her first few posts, then somehow learned the language over night and corrected them all just a few days later.
I agree on MM. The solution (as OP noted) is to ignore her. She baited me earlier today and I didn't respond. It's easy. Heck, if you don't have the discipline to refrain, then use the Ignore function.
13-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Forum has an ignore function. If anyone thinks I'm a troll, use it and stop trying to censor what appears on the screens of other people who CAN think and decide for THEMSELVES.

"freethought community" LOL
13-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Oh look!
There goes my neg rep count up again.
13-03-2014, 03:16 PM
(13-03-2014 03:11 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Forum has an ignore function. If anyone thinks I'm a troll, use it and stop trying to censor what appears on the screens of other people who CAN think and decide for THEMSELVES.

This is a free thought community. Regurgitating beliefs and religious dogma repeatedly does not qualify as free thought or discussion.

Pointing it out for what it is, does. If you don't like it, take it to a Christian forum, where they ban dissenters.

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 3 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
13-03-2014, 03:22 PM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2014 03:27 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)
(13-03-2014 03:11 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Forum has an ignore function. If anyone thinks I'm a troll, use it and stop trying to censor what appears on the screens of other people who CAN think and decide for THEMSELVES.

Having an ignore feature only solves the problem of intentionally disruptive trolls on the individual level. The community as a whole is still affected because not everybody is smart enough (or willing to for whatever reason) to use it, making the people who are smart enough still suffer in the process. Others will spend excessive amounts of time bumping up the troll threads diverting activity away from the better quality ones. Plus, the very tension created by such trolls is enough to completely tear down communities. We had a HUGE blow up with FZU; our moderation team and code of conduct were completely changed afterwards due to his activities and the community's reaction. People that were smart enough to ignore him still would have had to deal with the damage he was doing to the community as a whole.

This is why intentionally disruptive trolls still need to be banned even if the forum has an ignore feature. It's a community safeguard mechanism put in place due to the inability of some members that simply couldn't ignore them and the resulting damage that can do to the community. It's nice to believe that we as a community can ENTIRELY act in a consistent manner and just take the smart route with everything, but if every single person was consistently reliable and acted in an intelligent and dignified manner in all situations, there wouldn't even be a need for rules.

[Image: giphy.gif]
13-03-2014, 03:30 PM
(13-03-2014 03:16 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  

...Pointing it out for what it is, does. If you don't like it, take it to a Christian forum, where they ban dissenters.

See that?
A perfect example of my point.

I don't need an invitation from you. I can visit a forum and decide for myself whether I like it or not.
13-03-2014, 03:36 PM
(13-03-2014 03:30 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 03:16 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  ...Pointing it out for what it is, does. If you don't like it, take it to a Christian forum, where they ban dissenters.

See that?
A perfect example of my point.

I don't need an invitation from you. I can visit a forum and decide for myself whether I like it or not.

And nobody needs you to tell us what to do or what to discuss either. Practice what you preach. You're not wrong, you're just an asshole

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 8 users Like nach_in's post