Trolls and Forum Quality

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
13-03-2014, 03:37 PM
RE: Trolls and Forum Quality
(13-03-2014 03:30 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 03:16 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  ...Pointing it out for what it is, does. If you don't like it, take it to a Christian forum, where they ban dissenters.

See that?
A perfect example of my point.

I don't need an invitation from you. I can visit a forum and decide for myself whether I like it or not.

What a billigerent reply..... so you stay here because you like your ass handed to you... Yes ?

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like War Horse's post
13-03-2014, 03:38 PM
(13-03-2014 11:56 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I think if ANYthing at this forum seriously upsets you - you're taking an internet forum too seriously. Cause -- honestly - it's a forum. It's not your life.

Honestly, I don't think I am taking this forum too seriously. If I hadn't taken it seriously to begin with, I doubt I would have become an Atheist. Say whatever you want about how internet forums just aren't important, or aren't like real life, but this one has the potential to change the trajectory of lives for the better.

I am extremely grateful for this community, and the technology that brings it to me, since I live in a religious community. Sometimes this forum is all I have, because everyone around me in every day life is crazy. When the crazy people push so hard to ruin my time here, I have had enough. I just won't tolerate it any more.

I feel that what we discuss here is directly practical to our lives outside the internet, and has meaning for the future. The issues we debate may shape the future in our lifetimes when it comes to religion and politics. I think this really matters.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
[+] 9 users Like Dark Phoenix's post
13-03-2014, 03:40 PM
(13-03-2014 03:30 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 03:16 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  ...Pointing it out for what it is, does. If you don't like it, take it to a Christian forum, where they ban dissenters.

See that?
A perfect example of my point.

I don't need an invitation from you. I can visit a forum and decide for myself whether I like it or not.

Kay, well, we can do the same for your posts. If you don't like people discussing what you post, start a blog.

And selectively editing a post to reply is part of the trollish behavior getting you downvoted.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
13-03-2014, 03:43 PM
(13-03-2014 12:13 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Lets not make the mistake of labeling anyone who disagrees as a troll... that's that road to dogma, the sort of thing we as atheists are supposed to be opposed to.

Some threads and posts are obviously trolling, but when someone posts who appears to be a theist with genuine questions/doubts or just curiosity, we should at least give them the benefit of the doubt.

I couldn't agree more with this.

I feel that a legitimate troll is easily identifiable.

1. They don't answer questions.
2. They start new threads without reading or answering the responses on their previous ones.
3. They post in a sermon format, as though we were all in a church and they were the preacher.
4. They don't engage in deep discussion or debates.

My criteria may be imperfect, but I think it is good enough. Miss Meng is a clear troll. Alpha Male is not. Miss Meng is a spammer. Alpha Male is currently debating me fairly and respectfully in the boxing ring.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Phoenix's post
13-03-2014, 03:46 PM
(13-03-2014 03:40 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  And selectively editing a post to reply is part of the trollish behavior getting you downvoted.

Nah, it's not that. Is just that we're Satan worshipers and the *best* way to worship Satan is to give theists (true theists like Liony, not sell-outs like KC and Kestrel) NEG REP! It hurts them so hard. It's like a badge of Christ's blood shed for them. That's why it's red. Red for the blood of Christ shed for our poor hapless eejits defending the faith Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
13-03-2014, 03:53 PM
(13-03-2014 02:49 PM)alpha male Wrote:  I'm not a troll, and I know from prior experience that drich and Lion IRC are not trolls. One or more people above have noted that many people here are too quick to cry troll. That's absolutely correct.

Just because someone isn't deliberately trolling doesn't mean they're not an ignorant disingenuous asshole.

Drinking Beverage

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
13-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Flamers whining about trolls.
[+] 1 user Likes Lion IRC's post
13-03-2014, 04:06 PM
(13-03-2014 04:05 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Flamers whining about trolls.

we flamers? Facepalm

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
13-03-2014, 04:08 PM
(13-03-2014 03:11 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Forum has an ignore function. If anyone thinks I'm a troll, use it and stop trying to censor what appears on the screens of other people who CAN think and decide for THEMSELVES.

"freethought community" LOL

People are not banned for opinions, but for behavior. If it were for opinions, you'd be long gone. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
13-03-2014, 04:10 PM
There's no doubt that all these troll posts that are trying to save our heathen souls (especially like Missy Meng's dump of annoying threads) are really annoying and make it harder to enjoy this area of the forum. This is kind of a tough issue to solve.The easiest thing is to ignore them though I wonder if like a subform for these "you will know god" threads would do well. I think someone mentioned it earlier. Like the boxing ring I guess. Then again the problem with that is that it wouldn't guarantee that they'd post there instead. Having posts being monitored by the community might work? Banning people that are obvious trolls would work? I don't know :/

[Image: notagain.gif]