Trolls and Forum Quality

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
13-03-2014, 04:11 PM
RE: Trolls and Forum Quality
(13-03-2014 03:38 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 11:56 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I think if ANYthing at this forum seriously upsets you - you're taking an internet forum too seriously. Cause -- honestly - it's a forum. It's not your life.

Honestly, I don't think I am taking this forum too seriously. If I hadn't taken it seriously to begin with, I doubt I would have become an Atheist. Say whatever you want about how internet forums just aren't important, or aren't like real life, but this one has the potential to change the trajectory of lives for the better.

I am extremely grateful for this community, and the technology that brings it to me, since I live in a religious community. Sometimes this forum is all I have, because everyone around me in every day life is crazy. When the crazy people push so hard to ruin my time here, I have had enough. I just won't tolerate it any more.

I feel that what we discuss here is directly practical to our lives outside the internet, and has meaning for the future. The issues we debate may shape the future in our lifetimes when it comes to religion and politics. I think this really matters.

Absolutely agree. We can't deliver a message or provide help to people if the place is a dump.

A little spring cleaning is in order.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
13-03-2014, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2014 04:23 PM by rampant.a.i..)
(13-03-2014 04:05 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Flamers whining about trolls.

Your ability to consistently redefine yourself as part of the repressed minority is truly astounding.

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Find all posts by this user
13-03-2014, 04:18 PM
(13-03-2014 03:38 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 11:56 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I think if ANYthing at this forum seriously upsets you - you're taking an internet forum too seriously. Cause -- honestly - it's a forum. It's not your life.

Honestly, I don't think I am taking this forum too seriously. If I hadn't taken it seriously to begin with, I doubt I would have become an Atheist. Say whatever you want about how internet forums just aren't important, or aren't like real life, but this one has the potential to change the trajectory of lives for the better.

I am extremely grateful for this community, and the technology that brings it to me, since I live in a religious community. Sometimes this forum is all I have, because everyone around me in every day life is crazy. When the crazy people push so hard to ruin my time here, I have had enough. I just won't tolerate it any more.

I feel that what we discuss here is directly practical to our lives outside the internet, and has meaning for the future. The issues we debate may shape the future in our lifetimes when it comes to religion and politics. I think this really matters.

^^^^^^^^ I cannot give this post enough likes.

Also, please quit playing with the Lion, everybody. About a third of this thread is sniping back and forth about one individual and it's distracting. Both views of his negative rep have been aired, nothing new is being contributed, so unless you've got something better than a zinger or the maturity-level of a schoolyard "NO YOU!", please let it drop.

EDIT CLARIFICATION: I wouldn't say it's about trolling specifically, but it is illustrative of the larger issue.
13-03-2014, 04:36 PM
(13-03-2014 02:49 PM)alpha male Wrote:  I'm not a troll, and I know from prior experience that drich and Lion IRC are not trolls.

All three of you are infuriatingly arrogant though, which is a characteristic of all trolls.

Of course that doesn't mean to say that you are all trolls solely because of this because I think there are other characteristics*, but it's certainly worth the negative reputation points.

There are theists and deists on here with positive reputation points who are not arrogant.

I wonder if there is a connection here?

* Other characteristics of trolls include inconsistent answers, ignoring questions or explanations so that they can repeat themselves and provocative language.
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
13-03-2014, 04:39 PM
Well, I must admit to being definitely one of the queens of provocative language so far. :x
I'm a little over-sexed.
[+] 2 users Like Charis's post
13-03-2014, 04:40 PM
(13-03-2014 04:39 PM)Charis Wrote:  Well, I must admit to being definitely one of the queens of provocative language so far. :x
I'm a little over-sexed.

That's the good kind of provocative, though.

Their type of provocative is intended to "provoke" agitation, not arousal.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
13-03-2014, 04:58 PM
(13-03-2014 04:36 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  All three of you are infuriatingly arrogant though, which is a characteristic of all trolls.

Of course that doesn't mean to say that you are all trolls solely because of this because I think there are other characteristics*, but it's certainly worth the negative reputation points.

There are theists and deists on here with positive reputation points who are not arrogant.

From my experience, no, that's not the connection. I was moving up in the green until I mentioned I was a YEC, at which point I went from reasonable to intellectually dishonest (another term which is way over-used here) troll almost overnight. It was about ideology, not behavior.
13-03-2014, 04:59 PM
(13-03-2014 04:18 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 04:05 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Flamers whining about trolls.

Your ability to consistently redefine yourself as part of the repressed minority is truly astounding.

Nobody ever repressed me.
Wanna try?
13-03-2014, 05:02 PM
(13-03-2014 04:58 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 04:36 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  All three of you are infuriatingly arrogant though, which is a characteristic of all trolls.

From my experience, no, that's not the connection. I was moving up in the green until I mentioned I was a YEC, at which point I went from reasonable to intellectually dishonest (another term which is way over-used here) troll almost overnight. It was about ideology, not behavior.

What is a YEC?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
13-03-2014, 05:05 PM
(13-03-2014 05:02 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  What is a YEC?
"YEC" is an acronym that stands for "Young Earth Creationist."

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post