Trolls and Forum Quality

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
13-03-2014, 05:33 PM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2014 08:30 PM by Anjele.)
RE: Trolls and Forum Quality
Ya know, let's not just crap on the theists. Seriously, not every one that comes here has been/is a troll, so can we just look at troll without connecting any theist/atheist slant? One of the biggest trolls here claims to be an atheist...so there's that.

Some of the trolls are just here to be pains in the ass and show their hand up front. And I am as guilty as anyone else of jumping in and being frustrated and far from civil because it gets so freaking tiresome.

But, on the other hand, I have learned more about the Bible, history, and science from some of our esteemed members here when they have debated with theist (possible trolls). It's amazing to me the knowledge here. So, yeah, sometimes I actually think some good comes from interaction with the trolls.

And it's been said before, without the trolls showing up now and then we would turn on each other.

Where is the happy medium...I don't claim to have the answer.

It seems to be how the forum ebbs and flows. Sooner or later the forum always rights itself again and the core group of people here along with some wonderful newcomers is what keeps me around.

The good, the bad, and the ugly...it's a set...gotta have some of all of it.

Cue Girly...

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
13-03-2014, 05:34 PM
(13-03-2014 05:30 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 05:26 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  The complaint was about arrogance.

Theres a great big elephant in the room here which is that you just cant STAND the fact that some people (viz; theists) wont bow and grovel and say they are here to learn from atheists.

I visit a fair number of AvT fora and, from my experience, the only self-identified Christians who are chew toys ...popular with the dominant atheist majority are the obsequious, fawning, lukewarm lamers who suck up and "confess" they have doubts and are ashamed of other Christians and dont really take the bible as God's Word.

No thanks.

I'll say what I think and couldnt care less about your egotistical popularity contest.

May I ask what you are here for?

To discuss atheism.
13-03-2014, 05:38 PM
(13-03-2014 05:34 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 05:30 PM)Dom Wrote:  May I ask what you are here for?

To discuss atheism.

Why does that interest you?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
13-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Because it's an anathema.

ETA - ...in my opinion.
[+] 1 user Likes Lion IRC's post
13-03-2014, 05:42 PM
(13-03-2014 05:26 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  I visit a fair number of AvT fora and, from my experience, the only self-identified Christians who are chew toys ...popular with the dominant atheist majority are the obsequious, fawning, lukewarm lamers who suck up and "confess" they have doubts and are ashamed of other Christians and dont really take the bible as God's Word.

Facepalm

So a Christian that has doubts, is ashamed of other Christians, and doesn't take the bible as god's word are "lukewarm lamers?" Maybe that's just their actual beliefs? Maybe they are ashamed of most other Christians because they see their behavior as a corruption of THEIR OWN interpretation of the bible, rather than wanting to be sycophantic kiss-ass?

From MY experience, the theists that tend to get along with atheists usually have the following traits:
1. They are honest and don't dodge questions.
2. They admit to, and embrace, what it means to "have faith."
3. They don't spiritually judge non-believers
4. They don't proselytize.

I don't see where "sycophantic, lukewarm-lamer" fits into any of that.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 8 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
13-03-2014, 05:43 PM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2014 05:47 PM by Mathilda.)
(13-03-2014 05:26 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Theres a great big elephant in the room here which is that you just cant STAND the fact that some people (viz; theists) wont bow and grovel and say they are here to learn from atheists.

The fact that you tarred us all with the same brush by saying "you just cant STAND the fact that some people" suggests that your opinion partly stems from what you expect to happen or would like to be the case.

It may be true that some atheists will give you negative reputation points when you reveal that you are a christian with no desire to change. But not everyone. Personally I have more respect for the theists for whom faith is a personal thing and don't try to convince everyone of some flawed evidence in order to convince themselves. I actually respect that position. If life is meaningless than it's up to each of us to find meaning in it and to get by however we can. It's when certain theists start to spread their own world view and get it adopted by other people that they lose my respect. Emotionally manipulating others to adopt your world view without question is an essentially arrogant thing to do. You may argue that atheists do the same but the difference is that most atheists want people to question.

EDIT: Missed out quote
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
13-03-2014, 05:44 PM
(13-03-2014 05:26 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  I'll say what I think and couldnt care less about your egotistical popularity contest.

Then quit whining about what privileges you lose when you have negative rep. What you say and how you behave is what has earned you such.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
13-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Ummm....might I point out KC's rep.

Being a believer isn't an instant neg rep. Being an asshole is.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
13-03-2014, 05:51 PM
(13-03-2014 05:44 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 05:26 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  I'll say what I think and couldnt care less about your egotistical popularity contest.

Then quit whining about what privileges you lose when you have negative rep. What you say and how you behave is what has earned you such.

Your definition of whining seems subjective.

Tartarus Sauce criticises.
Lion IRC "whines".
13-03-2014, 05:52 PM
(13-03-2014 05:26 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 05:11 PM)nach_in Wrote:  I would! but that's obvious, there are more arrogant theists in a theist forum. But that's just a statistical truism

The complaint was about arrogance.

Theres a great big elephant in the room here which is that you just cant STAND the fact that some people (viz; theists) wont bow and grovel and say they are here to learn from atheists.

I visit a fair number of AvT fora and, from my experience, the only self-identified Christians who are chew toys ...popular with the dominant atheist majority are the obsequious, fawning, lukewarm lamers who suck up and "confess" they have doubts and are ashamed of other Christians and dont really take the bible as God's Word.

No thanks.

I'll say what I think and couldnt care less about your egotistical popularity contest.

That wasn't a complaint, that was a rhetorical question, a complaint disguised with condescension. And that's why you are disliked.
You have only one or two ways to express yourself here, words and images. If you use them in such a way that you sound as arrogant as you complain then your reputation will follow suit.

It's not a popularity contest, if you want to be like then act likeable. That doesn't mean you must grovel and accept science as if it were a religion or something. You can just talk about anything without even discussing religion here.
If you don't care and act like an asshole, then don't complaint when people treat you like one. If you side with the trolls you will be treated as one.

Would you prefer us to be the chew toys of thiests on our own forum? clearly that won't happen, so don't act all righteous about how we're not grovelling for your religious wisdom.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 3 users Like nach_in's post