Trolls neg-repping

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2013, 07:57 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2013 08:01 AM by Dom.)
RE: Trolls neg-repping
There are trolls and there are melt down trolls.

Trolls are always going to pop up. Melt down trolls are more rare and they are different in that:

They start posting and analysing the members - by what they consider weak and what they consider strong.

Neg repping and seeing the reaction by individuals is one way. The smarter ones just read replies and go from there. When they think they have a weak one, the look through past posts and find weak spots.

That will be the one attacked, so the weak spots are important. Maybe you struggle with depression, maybe you are gay, old, young, a different race, what have you. This person has to be well liked, too.

Then come PMs and/or thread stalking. The goal is for that person to lose it.

Eventually they find one who will lose it and post a complaint. This is the time when the troll becomes a human being, asking for help, confessng to shortcomings and what have you.

Now opposing parties form in the forum. Some will support the attacked person, some will say the troll is just a poor sick person and not dangerous in any way. Now our troll tries hard to fuel both sides as best he can.

The ultimate goal: The forum melts down, gets embroiled in controversy, people leave, people step down.

Mission accomplished.

There is a huge difference between your nutty personality who just like to stir up a bit of trouble, and trolls who are like hackers - they like to bring the forum down and cause a collapse.

IMO if Buddy christ had not booted our latest internet wonder, the melt down would have been a lot more severe. Our troll would have worked tirelessly to get more people to leave. The ultimate satisfaction is to leave the forum in shambles.

Like I said, this is not your run of the mill troll who just gets their jolies by posting crap people don't like. This one is the troll version of a hacker, and the reward is to make happy people and friends fight each other and destroy the forum.

The motivation is manipulation of people and total power. The troll enjoys this and has a good laugh. Laughat

One has to understand the difference, then these things can be foiled. The damage can rarely be undone, what remains of the forum will start over in a different way.

Oh, and P.S.:

These guys return with a different personality once the forum has recovered.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
09-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Do "meltdown trolls" really exist or is that just a theory? I've never heard of that before.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
09-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the rebound rep, I like that the community bands together to undo the trolls' work.

But that wasn't what I posted for. I seriously meant my OP, not as a request for community rebound rep but as a thought to remove a tool from the hands of trolls.

Flag them as trolls. Maybe even limit the number of assinine threads they can create on a daily basis. Certainly limit their ability to damage anyone by eliminating neg-repping (but let them do it for the badge of honor as I mentioned). Maybe shut down their PM ability (except perhaps to reply).

Let them post, let them discuss, let them troll. Just don't let them do damage. Let them think they do. Let them do their little neg-repping and let it show up on our reputation log, just without it actually dinging the rep. Everybody wins.

And now, I'm gonna take my Glamdring off to hunt trolls...

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
09-01-2013, 10:40 AM
You know, when I got my first (and so far only, but that's not gonna be for long) negative rep, the only thing I could think of, was that it was gonna mess with my OCD... But it didn't Yes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
09-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Neg rep users shouldn't be able to rep atall. I can't work out how fzu managed it.
09-01-2013, 11:00 AM
The hard part here would be decided who is a troll and who isnt. People wont agree.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
09-01-2013, 11:05 AM
(09-01-2013 11:00 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  The hard part here would be decided who is a troll and who isnt. People wont agree.

Nor what their intentions are Drinking Beverage

Anyway, I'm so out of this whole fiasco...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
09-01-2013, 11:09 AM
There's obvious trolls, and obvious non-trolls, and a gray area. Some gray ones are trolls, some are not. If a person gets flagged as a troll, they just need to behave for a while to lose the tag. But good point, trolls should be able to PM mods, or anyone who flags the troll (mods only) would be required to PM the troll explaining why, which would allow them to reply. Non-trolls could get the flag lifted if they behave more socially and get out of that gray area.

09-01-2013, 11:25 AM
(09-01-2013 11:09 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  There's obvious trolls, and obvious non-trolls, and a gray area. Some gray ones are trolls, some are not. If a person gets flagged as a troll, they just need to behave for a while to lose the tag. But good point, trolls should be able to PM mods, or anyone who flags the troll (mods only) would be required to PM the troll explaining why, which would allow them to reply. Non-trolls could get the flag lifted if they behave more socially and get out of that gray area.
I think a warning is appropriate for such individuals -- but that's up to the FT to decide.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-01-2013, 11:30 AM
(09-01-2013 10:32 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Do "meltdown trolls" really exist or is that just a theory? I've never heard of that before.

I have seen quite a few of them in some 12 years of being part of message boards in various ways.

It's just what I call them.

The best way to actually recognize one is when the shit has started to hit the fan and then they have to become a "split personality". They have to be both good and bad because they have to fuel the discord. They need to continue to look evil to some, and they need to gather supporters by asking others for help and seeming sick or crushed or what have you that elicits compassion.

Before that point it's almost impossible to see what you are up against, if anything. And most trolls are just trolls - people trolling and looking for some sort of stimulation.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man