Trolls

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2018, 11:15 AM
RE: Trolls
(21-02-2018 11:06 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I suppose I'm getting a little tin-foil hatish here, but I wonder if any activity on this forum from disruptive individuals are employed by troll farms.

This is a real problem, and unfortunately there are groups that are paying hundreds, if not thousands of people, to skew opinion in social media.

Someone like TheBorg, and how he behaved, actually makes more sense if he was getting payed to do it, though Poe, Troll or whatever, it's hard to tell the difference between a paid tool or a genuine believer. Weeping

I don't think we rise to the level of really seriously being called social media.
And I think that sort of activity is generally cast with a wide net.
Like the stupid political memes that get going on face book.
They just post them to a network of people who repost them.
I don't think they engage on a lot of one on one type stuff.
I guess I could be wrong but I don't see a sweat shop of people posting to forums like this as a very wise use of resources. Not a lot of 'bang for he buck'

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
21-02-2018, 11:17 AM
(21-02-2018 11:06 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I suppose I'm getting a little tin-foil hatish here, but I wonder if any activity on this forum from disruptive individuals are employed by troll farms.

This is a real problem, and unfortunately there are groups that are paying hundreds, if not thousands of people, to skew opinion in social media.

Someone like TheBorg, and how he behaved, actually makes more sense if he was getting payed to do it, though Poe, Troll or whatever, it's hard to tell the difference between a paid tool or a genuine believer. Weeping

I think that TTA is too small of a venue to attract professional trollers. Lord Dark Helmet is frequently the subject of speculation, but I think that he is just a guy who prefers the Breitbart worldview. Breitbart has many fans, and statistically it is likely that at least one Breitbart fanatic would be posting on TTA. TTA just isn't worth the time for a professional troll.

My belief that people are basically good is sometimes crushed by the reality that people are basically bad
21-02-2018, 11:18 AM
(21-02-2018 10:16 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Muffs is not a good example of staff unfairness.

I really appreciate the moderation here, especially after seeing such shitty moderation at other sites.

I agree, the moderation here is top notch. I haven't disagreed with a decision yet.

There's no one here that I think needs banning currently, either. Some are perhaps pushing towards it, but they seemingly have enough sense not to go mental. I'd say they're posting stupid shit rather than being actively disruptive.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
21-02-2018, 11:34 AM
(21-02-2018 11:17 AM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  

I think that TTA is too small of a venue to attract professional trollers. Lord Dark Helmet is frequently the subject of speculation, but I think that he is just a guy who prefers the Breitbart worldview. Breitbart has many fans, and statistically it is likely that at least one Breitbart fanatic would be posting on TTA. TTA just isn't worth the time for a professional troll.

I have suspected that LDH is a sock puppet.
Just a feeling.

21-02-2018, 11:42 AM
(21-02-2018 11:34 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(21-02-2018 11:17 AM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  I think that TTA is too small of a venue to attract professional trollers. Lord Dark Helmet is frequently the subject of speculation, but I think that he is just a guy who prefers the Breitbart worldview. Breitbart has many fans, and statistically it is likely that at least one Breitbart fanatic would be posting on TTA. TTA just isn't worth the time for a professional troll.

I have suspected that LDH is a sock puppet.
Just a feeling.

He seems entirely too ridiculous to be a "real person" to me. But then many real people also seem that way to me, so who knows. He certainly gets pleasure from taking a contrary position on everything.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-02-2018, 11:51 AM
(21-02-2018 11:42 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  
(21-02-2018 11:34 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  I have suspected that LDH is a sock puppet.
Just a feeling.

He seems entirely too ridiculous to be a "real person" to me. But then many real people also seem that way to me, so who knows. He certainly gets pleasure from taking a contrary position on everything.

How many people are there, who hold a Breitbart worldview? There are a lot. I am a little bit surprised that there aren't more like LDH posting here.

My belief that people are basically good is sometimes crushed by the reality that people are basically bad
21-02-2018, 11:59 AM
(21-02-2018 08:42 AM)Dom Wrote:  We remove trolls that aim to disrupt "the tempo" of the forum, as Seth calls it.

We leave some that play by the rules and don't cause disruption. If they stay in their own threads, they are not shitting all over our carpets and people can choose to engage or not. If they start messing around in other people's threads, they usually end up gone. Some are never approved for posting in the first place.

The great majority of trolls are gone in short order under this policy, and some remain as "chew toys" for those who want to sharpen their teeth.

It is sometimes a fine line to walk. But it's the trolls who are walking on a rope, never the community. It is admin's job to see to it that the community continues to thrive.

I do think that TTA rocks and continues to thrive. Big Grin

Absolutely, I love to troll the trolls or use them as chew toys it helps sharpen my mind and is kinda like a training arena for real life, and as a person not well versed in debate I find it an invaluable source of learning.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
21-02-2018, 12:11 PM
(21-02-2018 11:59 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(21-02-2018 08:42 AM)Dom Wrote:  We remove trolls that aim to disrupt "the tempo" of the forum, as Seth calls it.

We leave some that play by the rules and don't cause disruption. If they stay in their own threads, they are not shitting all over our carpets and people can choose to engage or not. If they start messing around in other people's threads, they usually end up gone. Some are never approved for posting in the first place.

The great majority of trolls are gone in short order under this policy, and some remain as "chew toys" for those who want to sharpen their teeth.

It is sometimes a fine line to walk. But it's the trolls who are walking on a rope, never the community. It is admin's job to see to it that the community continues to thrive.

I do think that TTA rocks and continues to thrive. Big Grin

Absolutely, I love to troll the trolls or use them as chew toys it helps sharpen my mind and is kinda like a training arena for real life, and as a person not well versed in debate I find it an invaluable source of learning.
I'm confused. Are you talking about trolls, or are you talking about people who disagree with you? I can totally understand how debating people who disagree with you can be an invaluable resource. But a troll simply disrupts discussions.

21-02-2018, 12:15 PM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2018 12:18 PM by BikerDude.)
(21-02-2018 11:42 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  
(21-02-2018 11:34 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  I have suspected that LDH is a sock puppet.
Just a feeling.

Yes that is what makes me suspect.
His consistency.
Although I guess if you were to check out your average Breitbart zipperhead there wouldn't be many surprises.
But there is something about the consistency that feels like someone putting on the Dark Helmet. For shits and giggles.
But they probably would have a clear leaning that way when they posted as there "real" identity.
It's only when their views go far enough to guarantee total ire.
The reputation thing makes this more likely.
And no he's not me.
I am a liberal. A gun toting liberal but a liberal none the less.
At least in the context of what that meant in the 60's and 70's.

21-02-2018, 12:27 PM
(21-02-2018 12:15 PM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(21-02-2018 11:42 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  He seems entirely too ridiculous to be a "real person" to me. But then many real people also seem that way to me, so who knows. He certainly gets pleasure from taking a contrary position on everything.

Yes that is what makes me suspect.
His consistency.
Although I guess if you were to check out your average Breitbart zipperhead there wouldn't be many surprises.
But there is something about the consistency that feels like someone putting on the Dark Helmet. For shits and giggles.
But they probably would have a clear leaning that way when they posted as there "real" identity.
It's only when their views go far enough to guarantee total ire.
The reputation thing makes this more likely.
And no he's not me.
I am a liberal. A gun toting liberal but a liberal none the less.
At least in the context of what that meant in the 60's and 70's.

I get a little confused by terminology. I thought a sock puppet was someone who starts multiple accounts to make it seem that others agree with them, or alternatively, a banned poster who starts another account to regain posting privileges.

The term that I have seen used for someone who is being disingenuous, and is posting insincere content for their own amusement is 'edgelord'. So I think that maybe you are saying LDH is a edgelord.

I think that it is possible that he is an edgelord. but the simpler explanation is that he is simply a Breitbart junky. As I noted earlier, statistically, it is surprising that more Breitbart junkies aren't posting here. Why is it unlikely that the one Breitbart junky that we have posting here is really a Breitbart junky?