Trolls

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2018, 12:29 PM
RE: Trolls
(21-02-2018 12:11 PM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  
(21-02-2018 11:59 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Absolutely, I love to troll the trolls or use them as chew toys it helps sharpen my mind and is kinda like a training arena for real life, and as a person not well versed in debate I find it an invaluable source of learning.
I'm confused. Are you talking about trolls, or are you talking about people who disagree with you? I can totally understand how debating people who disagree with you can be an invaluable resource. But a troll simply disrupts discussions.

People don't necessarily see the same person the same way. Some people are quick to label someone with a contrarian opinion as troll.

And, trolls that have specific topics and stick to them, like some religious concept or Breitbart news, are sometimes useful for some members to hear and debate. They may have come to disrupt, but they end up being a source of amusement or information for some members.

TTA isn't for everyone, but most people find a good home here with topics and people they like to spend time with.

Should a troll manage to disrupt the forum, they are gone.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2018, 12:33 PM
(21-02-2018 12:27 PM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  
(21-02-2018 12:15 PM)BikerDude Wrote:  Yes that is what makes me suspect.
His consistency.
Although I guess if you were to check out your average Breitbart zipperhead there wouldn't be many surprises.
But there is something about the consistency that feels like someone putting on the Dark Helmet. For shits and giggles.
But they probably would have a clear leaning that way when they posted as there "real" identity.
It's only when their views go far enough to guarantee total ire.
The reputation thing makes this more likely.
And no he's not me.
I am a liberal. A gun toting liberal but a liberal none the less.
At least in the context of what that meant in the 60's and 70's.

I get a little confused by terminology. I thought a sock puppet was someone who starts multiple accounts to make it seem that others agree with them, or alternatively, a banned poster who starts another account to regain posting privileges.

The term that I have seen used for someone who is being disingenuous, and is posting insincere content for their own amusement is 'edgelord'. So I think that maybe you are saying LDH is a edgelord.

I think that it is possible that he is an edgelord. but the simpler explanation is that he is simply a Breitbart junky. As I noted earlier, statistically, it is surprising that more Breitbart junkies aren't posting here. Why is it unlikely that the one Breitbart junky that we have posting here is really a Breitbart junky?

In six months you think you have the regulars on the forum figured out as well as the drivebys.

Yeah, I don't think so. Drinking Beverage

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. -JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
21-02-2018, 12:35 PM
(21-02-2018 12:29 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(21-02-2018 12:11 PM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  I'm confused. Are you talking about trolls, or are you talking about people who disagree with you? I can totally understand how debating people who disagree with you can be an invaluable resource. But a troll simply disrupts discussions.

People don't necessarily see the same person the same way. Some people are quick to label someone with a contrarian opinion as troll.

And, trolls that have specific topics and stick to them, like some religious concept or Breitbart news, are sometimes useful for some members to hear and debate. They may have come to disrupt, but they end up being a source of amusement or information for some members.

TTA isn't for everyone, but most people find a good home here with topics and people they like to spend time with.

Should a troll manage to disrupt the forum, they are gone.

I am hoping that adey answers the question that I asked him, since it is his answer that I am interested in. No offence intended.

My belief that people are basically good is sometimes crushed by the reality that people are basically bad
21-02-2018, 12:43 PM
(21-02-2018 12:33 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(21-02-2018 12:27 PM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  I get a little confused by terminology. I thought a sock puppet was someone who starts multiple accounts to make it seem that others agree with them, or alternatively, a banned poster who starts another account to regain posting privileges.

The term that I have seen used for someone who is being disingenuous, and is posting insincere content for their own amusement is 'edgelord'. So I think that maybe you are saying LDH is a edgelord.

I think that it is possible that he is an edgelord. but the simpler explanation is that he is simply a Breitbart junky. As I noted earlier, statistically, it is surprising that more Breitbart junkies aren't posting here. Why is it unlikely that the one Breitbart junky that we have posting here is really a Breitbart junky?

In six months you think you have the regulars on the forum figured out as well as the drivebys.

I didn't mean to offend you. I am just talking here. I am not pretending to have figured out anything.

My belief that people are basically good is sometimes crushed by the reality that people are basically bad
21-02-2018, 12:47 PM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2018 12:54 PM by adey67.)
(21-02-2018 12:11 PM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  
(21-02-2018 11:59 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Absolutely, I love to troll the trolls or use them as chew toys it helps sharpen my mind and is kinda like a training arena for real life, and as a person not well versed in debate I find it an invaluable source of learning.
I'm confused. Are you talking about trolls, or are you talking about people who disagree with you? I can totally understand how debating people who disagree with you can be an invaluable resource. But a troll simply disrupts discussions.

Yondav how the heck did you interpret anything other than trolls in my post ? Tbh I disagree that trolls simply disrupt discussion many are far more sophisticated than that, I suspect that we have a different idea of what is trolling and what is not. I disagree that a troll simply disrupts discourse. Many are here to proselytize and attempt to cause division between members etc etc, of course they fail for the most part. I have no problem with people who have different opinions to me and welcome good discourse through different barriers eg I love Aliza and Shai etc.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
21-02-2018, 01:06 PM
(21-02-2018 12:43 PM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  
(21-02-2018 12:33 PM)Anjele Wrote:  In six months you think you have the regulars on the forum figured out as well as the drivebys.

I didn't mean to offend you. I am just talking here. I am not pretending to have figured out anything.

Bullshit.

You want to come off as though you know more about how this forum works than people who have been here for years and the forum team.

Fresh eyes often do bring new ways to look at things. I don't think that's the group where you fall.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. -JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
21-02-2018, 01:32 PM
(21-02-2018 01:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(21-02-2018 12:43 PM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  I didn't mean to offend you. I am just talking here. I am not pretending to have figured out anything.

Bullshit.

You want to come off as though you know more about how this forum works than people who have been here for years and the forum team.

Fresh eyes often do bring new ways to look at things. I don't think that's the group where you fall.

OK. I am seeing stars from you clubbing me over the head. I am really sorry that you see me that way.

21-02-2018, 01:35 PM
(21-02-2018 12:47 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(21-02-2018 12:11 PM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  I'm confused. Are you talking about trolls, or are you talking about people who disagree with you? I can totally understand how debating people who disagree with you can be an invaluable resource. But a troll simply disrupts discussions.

Yondav how the heck did you interpret anything other than trolls in my post ? Tbh I disagree that trolls simply disrupt discussion many are far more sophisticated than that, I suspect that we have a different idea of what is trolling and what is not. I disagree that a troll simply disrupts discourse. Many are here to proselytize and attempt to cause division between members etc etc, of course they fail for the most part. I have no problem with people who have different opinions to me and welcome good discourse through different barriers eg I love Aliza and Shai etc.

I think that we define troll differently. If I benefit from honing my debate skills with someone, then I have an impossible time defining that someone as a troll.

21-02-2018, 01:56 PM
(21-02-2018 01:35 PM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  
(21-02-2018 12:47 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Yondav how the heck did you interpret anything other than trolls in my post ? Tbh I disagree that trolls simply disrupt discussion many are far more sophisticated than that, I suspect that we have a different idea of what is trolling and what is not. I disagree that a troll simply disrupts discourse. Many are here to proselytize and attempt to cause division between members etc etc, of course they fail for the most part. I have no problem with people who have different opinions to me and welcome good discourse through different barriers eg I love Aliza and Shai etc.

I think that we define troll differently. If I benefit from honing my debate skills with someone, then I have an impossible time defining that someone as a troll.

My axiom is that if it looks like an asshole and acts like an asshole, refuses to acknowledge points ignores difficult questions/ points, is condescending and dismissive, quotes the bible to prove the bible, says stuff that is an insult to intelligence they are a troll, people with different opinions who argue cogently and respectfully I've no problem with, hell I'll give them positive rep too. Wink
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
21-02-2018, 02:02 PM
(21-02-2018 01:56 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(21-02-2018 01:35 PM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  I think that we define troll differently. If I benefit from honing my debate skills with someone, then I have an impossible time defining that someone as a troll.

My axiom is that if it looks like an asshole and acts like an asshole, refuses to acknowledge points ignores difficult questions/ points, is condescending and dismissive, quotes the bible to prove the bible, says stuff that is an insult to intelligence they are a troll, people with different opinions who argue cogently and respectfully I've no problem with, hell I'll give them positive rep too. Wink

For me, the biggest factor is whether or not they are sincere in their position. Also, whether or not they are on topic.