Tropes vs. Women - The video series and the responses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Tropes vs. Women - The video series and the responses
Ok, so I typed a whole story about Tropes vs. Women and Thunderf00t's reaction, links below.
But I lost it in a forumbug.
Lemme know what you guys think.

The thing that got the whole internet in an uproar:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/5664...ideo-games

The finished product:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6p5AZp7r_Q

The response of atheism's enfant terrible (you love him or you hate him) Professor Thunderf00t (one of many such responses from critics all over the internet)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJeX6F-Q63I

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2013, 03:49 PM
RE: Tropes vs. Women - The video series and the responses
I'm just trying to imagine all of the time and energy of lonely, bored, angry men that could be harnessed. We could solve a lot of societies problems. But if you allow it to run free rein, it'll just be destructive. As evidence of the links and comments provided in them.

I'm not too worried. Society has been moving away from racism, sexism, religiosity, etc. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't be on guard for either of its return.
15-03-2013, 06:48 PM
"The whole Internet," huh? I only heard of this chick today, as I'm subscribed to tf00t... meh. Just another media whore pandering to a market share.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
15-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Hehehe.

Thunderf00t... he funny.

15-03-2013, 07:45 PM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2013 07:53 PM by fstratzero.)
(15-03-2013 06:48 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  "The whole Internet," huh? I only heard of this chick today, as I'm subscribed to tf00t... meh. Just another media whore pandering to a market share.
Wait a minute. Consider

We could start selling Thunderf00t and Anita Sarkeesian T-shirts and memorabilia? Thus becoming millionaires as they fight amongst themselves. Divide and provide a new economic strategy?

All joking aside I am all for gender equality, but refuse the MRA, Feminist titles. What they both need to do is switch sexes for a few years and the re-evaluate their positions.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
16-03-2013, 01:34 AM
I see that Anita Sarkeesian is already playing the "Victim Card". On the flip side, someone has released an online video game where the player is encouraged to beat up a picture of Anita (http://swfchan.org/1193/BeatUpAnitaSarke...swf.html). Here's a screenshot from the game:

[Image: Image-2.png]

I wonder what she calls this "Trope"? I don't remember her covering this one. Big Grin

Anyways, she's managed to piss of a lot of people!
16-03-2013, 05:54 AM
I was also wondering why no one is touching on the dead opposite.
A woman from the ruling class is abducted and some lowly worker is sent, essentially without a chance, to get her or die trying. His life is deemed unworthy, everytime you die in the game and respawn, it's just another lowly worker sent to his death.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
[+] 3 users Like Caveman's post
16-03-2013, 10:42 AM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2013 08:09 AM by Elesjei.)
I agree with the idea of feminism but not the kind Anita represents. She is dishonest, hypocritical, selfish, and everything she touches is infested with confirmation bias.

She receives over $150k in donations, and you know what she does with the money? Buys shit for herself completely unrelated to what the donations were for. She doesn't need that much money to make her opinion pieces - she could do it for free. Many YouTubers manage to make wonderful videos without buying new houses. She should maybe not go on a stereotype-reinforcing shopping spree of makeup and high heels, and instead donate it to woman's shelters, anti-abuse charities.... breast cancer research...

Thunderf00t had great points in his video. Everything is interpreted so as to fit her thesis, and she is constantly moving the posts so that women can never not be victimized by games. According to her, they're either female stereotypes, or females pretending to be men. There is no other possibility because she closes them off with her lousy definitions.

There are many great feminists, but Anita is not one of them.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Elesjei's post
17-03-2013, 04:04 PM
(16-03-2013 10:42 AM)Elesjei Wrote:  She receives over $150k in donations, and you know what she does with the money? Buys shit for herself completely unrelated to what the donations were for. She doesn't need that much money to make her opinion pieces - she could do it for free. Many YouTubers manage to make wonderful videos without buying new houses.
Yes, I was also wondering about the funding. Kickstarter funders are entitled to updates on the spending of their money and the end-product. I wonder if she gave financial statements. But she seems to have an expensive camera and green-screen. Maybe some video-editing software (or even a small studio) and she can make near limitless money off of this... project...

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
17-03-2013, 05:01 PM

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp