Wow! She was cute.

I'd give her one!

Evil_monster

yes, irony intended

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2013, 04:42 AM
RE: Tropes vs. Women - The video series and the responses
Typical modern feminist; opportunistic con-artists. Thunderf00t obliterated this one.
23-03-2013, 04:19 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2013 04:23 AM by Caveman.)
Thank you all for your replies.

It gets worse though.
I just checked the channel used to upload the video. ( http://www.youtube.com/user/feministfrequency )
She's been making videos like this for years now. There are so many that she had to divide them in seasons!
Also, she disables the comments on most of her videos so her views can't be challenged and the videos don't lose credibility.

Why did she go on Kickstarter? Just for the publicity? It's obvious that the productionvalue of the old videos is the same as that of the new videos. None of the money was spent on it. Did she buy a house or something?

Projects like these is why Kickstarter and crowdfunding are losing popularity again.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
23-03-2013, 05:28 AM
Why did she go on kickstarter? To get a hundred grand, obviously. Smartass

I should go on kickstarter, then pay someone else to write the book of gwynnite... Consider

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
23-03-2013, 10:49 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2013 10:53 AM by ClydeLee.)
I don't see the big hubbuba... The kickstarter thing is strange, I never knew what that was and I don't see the point of doing that other than to just fund. But there is a growing industry of the money off youtube projects in all forms, it's just another market folks are interested in.

I haven't watched any other of her videos so maybe it's a pattern of her, but the counter argument videos saying she's trying to say these ideas subjugate women doesn't seem a like a point emphasized to me.

TF is right it's about what sells, and it's what sold for the past century and in mythology. It all fits in both points. I don't get the need of criticism... TF's "ironic" counter point is dead accurate true, it's not being ignored. The point of a persuasive research paper, all that is in video form, is to focus on one viewpoint when that's the task. It isn't a perfect analysis but it's also incomplete, so it's kinda making noise out of nothing.

And TF's over shown point of the remake of the fighter game ball busting kinda goes to enhance how that has been noted and adjusted in the market. Empowering has been analyzed and is sold better for today's market. She did say one of her videos was to point out how things have adjusted, and most of the focus was on the pre-2000s market in this 1st video.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
24-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Amusing to me how readily the woman is attacked and thunderf00t defended by a bunch of (as near as I can tell) men.

I have to honestly say I did not watch all of any of the videos (I found them boring) including the smarmy bitch who argued against the original woman's points. How could anyone stand to listen to that 3rd graders voice with apparently a 3rd graders mentality for more than a few moments.

I am sure that thunderf00t correctly found fault around the edges of Sarkeesian's arguments. He is good at that.

Her basic argument however is correct and to deny it shows a lack of intellectual honesty. I think her most positive argument is simply the picture behind her frequently on her videos. Check out how most of the women are portrayed, well figured with big tits and quite attractive. Aimed of course at the main purchasers of video games, teenage males. Even when they are violent killers of many the women in video games are generally in skin tight outfits, they are certainly all attractive in the standard sense. I suspect one would have to search mightily to find a non white woman in a video game but that is a different story.

I find it interesting how often people dismiss points of view out of hand when those points of view make them uncomfortable.
24-03-2013, 10:38 AM
(24-03-2013 10:17 AM)JAH Wrote:  I find it interesting how often people dismiss points of view out of hand when those points of view make them uncomfortable.

I find it interesting how often people jump on an imaginary moral high horse only to land flat on their ass. Big Grin

Another one who doesn't understand marketing. I ain't gonna credit her with shit 'cause it will only encourage her. Even if she's right, she's wrong, and she did it to herself being inconsistent and illogical in her own videos. In the same video. Like how she ragged on my girl Bayonetta. Just like men (generalization alert!) use big guns, women use big tits as a weapon. And if the enemy angel is distracted for a minute by Bayonetta's long, luscious legs ( Drooling ) in order to sneak in an uppercut... that's a win.

Besides, marketing. Shit's for adolescent men (physically and mentally), and yeah, I want my heroine in skin-tight leather regardless of practicality. I want reality, I'll go outside. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
24-03-2013, 04:39 PM
(24-03-2013 10:17 AM)JAH Wrote:  Her basic argument however is correct and to deny it shows a lack of intellectual honesty. I think her most positive argument is simply the picture behind her frequently on her videos. Check out how most of the women are portrayed, well figured with big tits and quite attractive. Aimed of course at the main purchasers of video games, teenage males. Even when they are violent killers of many the women in video games are generally in skin tight outfits, they are certainly all attractive in the standard sense. I suspect one would have to search mightily to find a non white woman in a video game but that is a different story.

I find it interesting how often people dismiss points of view out of hand when those points of view make them uncomfortable.
Her arguments are very one-sided and are clearly ignoring obvious facts. She makes wild assumptions and singles out videogames as if the medium is somehow unique.
She also ignores that the lion-share of the market for videogames is male.

I could probably do an MST3K video refuting her arguments as she makes them.
Emancipation of groups like women is very important, but this is not the way.

But besides the content of her arguments is the question of why she needed, and what she did, with the $150.000 that she got in donations to make this stuff.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
24-03-2013, 05:09 PM
(24-03-2013 04:39 PM)Caveman Wrote:  
(24-03-2013 10:17 AM)JAH Wrote:  Her basic argument however is correct and to deny it shows a lack of intellectual honesty. I think her most positive argument is simply the picture behind her frequently on her videos. Check out how most of the women are portrayed, well figured with big tits and quite attractive. Aimed of course at the main purchasers of video games, teenage males. Even when they are violent killers of many the women in video games are generally in skin tight outfits, they are certainly all attractive in the standard sense. I suspect one would have to search mightily to find a non white woman in a video game but that is a different story.

Her arguments are very one-sided and are clearly ignoring obvious facts. She makes wild assumptions and singles out videogames as if the medium is somehow unique.
She also ignores that the lion-share of the market for videogames is male.

I could probably do an MST3K video refuting her arguments as she makes them.
Emancipation of groups like women is very important, but this is not the way.

But besides the content of her arguments is the question of why she needed, and what she did, with the $150.000 that she got in donations to make this stuff.
I get the flaws but in no way is she doing some of the things people are jumping on. She doesn't single out video games in any way at all. She specifically brought up how the pattern was taken directly from the film industry. It's obvious, if you think the pattern means nothing, that it leaped off of that.

The money donations is stupid.. but some of the arguments sound like someone critiquing a research paper after reading 3/10 pages. Her point was some of her future videos main topics are to view ways the industry has adjusted, even in a market industry geared toward males. But that's what people are doing more frequently these days, there's people making money to create youtube videos of them just playing games these days.

I still don't get the emancipation or standing strong arguments. Maybe I'm missing that intentionally but I just view it as a critical study vs anything more, that's things that are to be inferred.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
24-03-2013, 09:21 PM
How about a Video-Game Trope based on this image? Think teenage Boys will buy it?

[Image: codepink_fat_lady.jpg]