Truck Control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2016, 11:38 PM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2016 11:45 PM by Heywood Jahblome.)
Truck Control
Today in Nice France, 75-80 people were killed by a single truck. However you will not see a Truck Control movement because it is obvious to everyone that society is better off with trucks than without them even though occasionally people will use them for evil purposes.

The gun control debate really should be a debate about whether or not guns do more harm for society than good. If easy access to guns does lead to more good for society than evil, then we should have easy access to guns. If easy access to guns leads to more evil in society than good, then access to guns should be curtailed. A single incident where a gun is used for evil, say Sandyhook, isn't a good argument for gun control any more than what happened in Nice today is a good argument for Truck Control. The totality of all the evidence must be weighed.

I don't consider myself to be a gun owner. I do own some guns that I inherited but they are under my bed collecting dust. I have never shot them...they are only important to me because someone I loved owned them. I don't believe my life changes much if guns get banned. On gun control, I am pretty indifferent.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post
14-07-2016, 11:45 PM
RE: Truck Control
Starting a gun debate now eh?

As if Brian isn't busy enough listening to ABBA.

Heywood thinking. "Hmmmm, what can I do next to create disunity and trouble...? Gun debate cloaked as a truck debate!"

How about pianos falling out of windows or the effects of gravity on air conditioners?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 5 users Like Banjo's post
15-07-2016, 12:04 AM
A gun wasn't even used, it wasn't even in the States and somehow someone made it about gun control in the States?

wtf..

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
15-07-2016, 01:18 AM (This post was last modified: 15-07-2016 01:22 AM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(15-07-2016 12:04 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  A gun wasn't even used, it wasn't even in the States and somehow someone made it about gun control in the States?

wtf..

Truck control and Gun control are the same kind of issue and should be considered the same way. Does the tool do more harm than good for society? If the answer is yes, then easy access to that tool should be banned. If the opposite is true.....the tool does more good than harm to society, then access to that tool should be made easy. A single incident is all but useless in answering that question.

All to often we see people using single incidents to justify their positions on issues like gun control....which is an error in my opinion.
15-07-2016, 01:31 AM
Anyone who takes this bait is a dumbass.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
15-07-2016, 02:16 AM
(15-07-2016 01:31 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Anyone who takes this bait is a dumbass.

I think you're being a bit paranoid. I'm not baiting anyone. I am merely commenting on how such problems should be viewed. If you think they should be approached differently, please let us know.
15-07-2016, 03:15 AM
(15-07-2016 01:31 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Anyone who takes this bait is a dumbass.

I've got some free time, I'll go there and see where it goes.

Quote:Truck control and Gun control are the same kind of issue and should be considered the same way. Does the tool do more harm than good for society? If the answer is yes, then easy access to that tool should be banned. If the opposite is true.....the tool does more good than harm to society, then access to that tool should be made easy. A single incident is all but useless in answering that question.

All to often we see people using single incidents to justify their positions on issues like gun control....which is an error in my opinion.

Truck and gun control are not the same thing because while yes they are both tools they are not equal because there is many different types. Hunting rifles for hunting. Escalade mounted mini-guns for Russian mafia. Fully automatic AR-15 for mentally disturbed white kids that wanna shoot up their school. etc..

Saying that trucks serve a purpose in society is not the same as saying guns serve a purpose in society because their purpose is different. Their accessibility and potential for harm is also far different. You'd be very hard pressed to run down a bunch of people in a movie theater in a 16-wheeler. Or conceal a truck in your jacket pocket.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
15-07-2016, 03:59 AM
(15-07-2016 03:15 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Saying that trucks serve a purpose in society is not the same as saying guns serve a purpose in society because their purpose is different. Their accessibility and potential for harm is also far different. You'd be very hard pressed to run down a bunch of people in a movie theater in a 16-wheeler. Or conceal a truck in your jacket pocket.

Hi,

A weapon that is ubiquitous, serves a purpose in just about every home, can be concealed under a jacket - a kitchen knife! I've seen enough movies with chefs throwing them within an inch of someone's life to be well scared when my wife's chopping the onions. No

D.
15-07-2016, 04:28 AM
(15-07-2016 03:59 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(15-07-2016 03:15 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Saying that trucks serve a purpose in society is not the same as saying guns serve a purpose in society because their purpose is different. Their accessibility and potential for harm is also far different. You'd be very hard pressed to run down a bunch of people in a movie theater in a 16-wheeler. Or conceal a truck in your jacket pocket.

Hi,

A weapon that is ubiquitous, serves a purpose in just about every home, can be concealed under a jacket - a kitchen knife! I've seen enough movies with chefs throwing them within an inch of someone's life to be well scared when my wife's chopping the onions. No

D.

Nobody wants to ban knives because it is obvious to everyone knives do more good than harm. That might be true of guns too but I am afraid to make that argument. I think a lot of people on this forum would be bothered by some tough questions.
15-07-2016, 04:40 AM
At work.

Popcorn

Tell a friend of mine who has a damaged hand about knives.

Drinking Beverage

Ask an old Window fixer about glass....

May this thread fade.
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post