Truck plows into Christmas Market in Berlin, Germany

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2016, 03:15 PM
RE: Truck plows into Christmas Market in Berlin, Germany
(19-12-2016 03:02 PM)tomilay Wrote:  The US state department had issued warnings about a month ago https://travel.state.gov/content/passpor...urope.html

If i was an islamist and wanted to kill lots of people in Germany, then x-mas market is the perfect time and location. Its wintertime (dark), flocks of unsuspecting people standing tightly hugged around small huts, perfect targets.

Just imagine Frankfurt x-mas market (i was there couple of times, looks like freaking Tokyo city at the weekend, not my kinda thing). 3mio people in ca. 30 days, thats an average of 100.000 people a day!

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2016, 03:33 PM
(19-12-2016 02:55 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  All we know right now is:
  • 9 dead
  • 50 injured
  • driver probably arrested (after running away)
  • co pilot of truck killed during the *accident*
  • truck had a license plate from poland
  • if so, this would be the biggest islamist attack in germany

Its still all confusing, not even sure if its an attack or accident. We need to wait for more and confirmed info

Edit: My personal opinion/guess(!!!!)

Doesnt smell like islamist attack. Two people in the truck, is atypical, driver running away and getting himslef arrested instead of getting himself killed, atypical. Truck stands at the outer rim of the x-mas market. Why didnt he run square across the x-mas marked?

I usually try not to say that there's anything hopeful in the horizon about something that claims this many lives, but I do hope that isn't another Truck of Peace mauling down children. If it is ISIS, the tension will only increase and fortify the position of the far right in France, Germany and even my own Norway. The same kind that hate Muslims or Jews are usually the same that want to inprison homosexuals or non-"whatever religion they claim to practice".

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 5 users Like ELK12695's post
19-12-2016, 03:47 PM
I agree with your asessment of the potential political consequences. This is particularly relevant for Germany, since we have elections next Spetember. A bunch of european countries are already experiencing the rise of right wing [populism] parties or movements (Hungary, Austria, France,Poland, just to name a few).
In Germany, particularly in the east there is such a movement as well, and some attack would be premium fodder for their propaganda machinery, especially if foreigners are involved.

Its confirmed now that he truck is from Danzig/Gdansk and was stolen, that the co-pilot is killed and someone suspected to be the driver has been arrested.
I still dont think its related to organized islamism. Why steal a polish truck? Why two people driving and one gets killed during the accident? Still doesnt make any terrorist sense to me. Rather some isolated, rogue action. Probably the driver will claim to be a sympathizer, but thats different from being a organized attack.

[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
19-12-2016, 03:49 PM
The whole world is going to shit.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-12-2016, 03:58 PM
(19-12-2016 03:49 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The whole world is going to shit.

Well, did i mention yet the shooting in this mosque in Zurich/Swizerland? Blush

[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
19-12-2016, 03:59 PM
(19-12-2016 03:47 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  I agree with your asessment of the potential political consequences. This is particularly relevant for Germany, since we have elections next Spetember. A bunch of european countries are already experiencing the rise of right wing [populism] parties or movements (Hungary, Austria, France,Poland, just to name a few).

Regardless of facts I expect that polish right wing media will seize the occasion, i.e. Germany left immigrants in and look what happened. It will also be handy way of redirecting the attention from gov increasingly authoritarian actions to alleged external threat.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
19-12-2016, 04:07 PM
(19-12-2016 02:19 PM)Vosur Wrote:  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/d...mas-market

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. I never expected this to happen in my country. I have relatives living in Berlin. Sad

I hope that all are well. I'm dreading something similar here in Canada.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
19-12-2016, 04:15 PM
(19-12-2016 04:07 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(19-12-2016 02:19 PM)Vosur Wrote:  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/d...mas-market

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. I never expected this to happen in my country. I have relatives living in Berlin. Sad

I hope that all are well. I'm dreading something similar here in Canada.

I am on alert every time I enter the central station in Oslo. I always presume some derka derk is gonna jump out and do what they're programmed to do. That way, I limit the amount of time I spend in these places to a minimum; I take the longer more desolate routes in and out of the station.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
19-12-2016, 04:37 PM
My daughter and her boyfriend visited that very market one week ago today Sad
She just posted FB pictures of it this morning
She is scheduled to fly back home to Canada from the UK tomorrow; I suspect that security at Heathrow will be ultra-tight.
I hope so.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
19-12-2016, 04:49 PM
Probably not the most appropriate answer but....

[Image: P2YeQjA.jpg]

Drinking Beverage

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.