Truck stop Chapels

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2016, 04:39 PM
Truck stop Chapels
I'm a relatively new truck driver. I've learned that a lot of the larger truck stops have chapels. For the most part they are low key. Today, one of their clergymen knocked on my truck door and invited me to join their 09:30 service. I politely declined and explained that I was a non-believer. He insisted on giving me this coin:
[Image: 0911161823a_zpszswvagck.jpg]
He said that I could still attend if I wanted to. I did not. This was the very first time that I ever told a preacher/pastor that I was a non-believer. That felt weird. I was indoctrinated at an early age and at 50, I've only been free of the religious chains for a short time. I couldn't help but feel a tinge of guilt(?) afterwards. On the one hand I want to think that truckers coming together at a truck stop and socializing is a good thing but hell, we do that anyway. Standing together and praying to some deity in the hopes that he will keep you safe on the road is utter bullshit. That's my rant. Lol, I feel better already.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Captain Congo's post
11-09-2016, 04:42 PM
RE: Truck stop Chapels
(11-09-2016 04:39 PM)Captain Congo Wrote:  I'm a relatively new truck driver. I've learned that a lot of the larger truck stops have chapels. For the most part they are low key. Today, one of their clergymen knocked on my truck door and invited me to join their 09:30 service. I politely declined and explained that I was a non-believer. He insisted on giving me this coin:
[Image: 0911161823a_zpszswvagck.jpg]
He said that I could still attend if I wanted to. I did not. This was the very first time that I ever told a preacher/pastor that I was a non-believer. That felt weird. I was indoctrinated at an early age and at 50, I've only been free of the religious chains for a short time. I couldn't help but feel a tinge of guilt(?) afterwards. On the one hand I want to think that truckers coming together at a truck stop and socializing is a good thing but hell, we do that anyway. Standing together and praying to some deity in the hopes that he will keep you safe on the road is utter bullshit. That's my rant. Lol, I feel better already.

Start collecting them. See how many coins/cards you can get from around the country. Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
11-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Did he wake you up? I'd be mad as a bear if I got awakened, for any reason. I fought against the tyranny of sleep for decades, but now that I'm retired, it is really nice not to have to get up, except when I want to.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
11-09-2016, 04:46 PM
I would've gone. That's probably where the amphetamines are distributed.

#sigh
[+] 7 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-09-2016, 04:53 PM
(11-09-2016 04:44 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Did he wake you up? I'd be mad as a bear if I got awakened, for any reason. I fought against the tyranny of sleep for decades, but now that I'm retired, it is really nice not to have to get up, except when I want to.

No, I was awake. He saw me and approached my truck.
11-09-2016, 04:55 PM
(11-09-2016 04:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I would've gone. That's probably where the amphetamines are distributed.

He was probably a pimp too.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
11-09-2016, 04:56 PM
(11-09-2016 04:44 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Did he wake you up? I'd be mad as a bear if I got awakened, for any reason. I fought against the tyranny of sleep for decades, but now that I'm retired, it is really nice not to have to get up, except when I want to.

I'd hope he saw the OP sitting up in his truck. If I were nodded off in the seat or worse yet, back in the sleeper, I would offer to back my trailer into his chapel and let IT do the attending. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
11-09-2016, 05:00 PM
And this represents yet another major difference between the mindsets of an atheist and a theist. An atheist truckie would never even contemplate approaching another truckie and asking them if they'd like to attend a meeting in order to disabuse them of their belief in a supernatural entity.

Some god-botherers just can't seem to resist proselyting anywhere and everywhere.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 4 users Like SYZ's post
11-09-2016, 08:51 PM
I have seen those chapels, I took one trip across the US driving a moving truck. I took along a like-minded friend, and we had a huge giggle as we drove into Tennessee. There was a church with a big billboard,
THE FULL ARMOR OF GOD Bible Baptist Church. I saw that and pronounced it like that, in full monster truck announcer voice.
[+] 4 users Like skyking's post
11-09-2016, 08:56 PM
Quote:He insisted on giving me this coin:

Looks counterfeit. Report him to the Secret Service!

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post