Trudging down into the Bible Belt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2015, 01:39 PM
In a few weeks I'll be heading down to my native state (Tennessee) for a few weeks because my 10 year high school reunion will be happening. At first I was excited about it because it was an opportunity to discover who people had become to make new connections with old friends, acquaintances, and classmates. But the closer it gets, the less excited I get because I'll be discovering who people are that I no longer have anything in common with...at all.

I left my hometown:
Christian
Republican
(Don't know if I'd have said conservative)
Pro-gun
Pro-life
Anti-gay marriage

I return the exact opposite of all of these and I know I'll be running into christians, republicans, moral absolutists, and morons in a more general sense. Including people I probably once called friends and I guess I am already a little sad that these relationships are already doomed from the start. There is no way any conversation on the aforementioned subjects is likely to go well, but I really fucking hate small talk, so it's not like I'll be up for the latest small town gossip.

Bleh, bible thumpers...

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
23-06-2015, 02:05 PM
RE: Trudging down into the Bible Belt
1. Why don't you just not go?

2. I don't think Tennessee is considered part of "the bible belt".
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
23-06-2015, 02:06 PM
Well pick up a gun when you are down there and go shooting. Shooting is always a fun thing to do.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
23-06-2015, 02:10 PM
(23-06-2015 02:05 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  1. Why don't you just not go?

1) Opportunity for my family to see my son and a sort of vacation we can afford.

2) Oh yeah it is.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
23-06-2015, 02:14 PM
(23-06-2015 02:06 PM)KUSA Wrote:  Well pick up a gun when you are down there and go shooting. Shooting is always a fun thing to do.

I'll stick with beer to maintain my sanity instead of weapons. I'm confident enough with my penis size and manliness that I don't need a gun to make myself feel better.

-Rick
23-06-2015, 02:22 PM
(23-06-2015 02:10 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(23-06-2015 02:05 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  1. Why don't you just not go?

1) Opportunity for my family to see my son and a sort of vacation we can afford.

2) Oh yeah it is.

Okay, so go see family and avoid the reunion.

I stand corrected on the bible belt. My bad. I've always been under the impression that the Bible belt consisted of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska.
23-06-2015, 02:26 PM
(23-06-2015 02:22 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  
(23-06-2015 02:10 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  1) Opportunity for my family to see my son and a sort of vacation we can afford.

2) Oh yeah it is.

Okay, so go see family and avoid the reunion.

I stand corrected on the bible belt. My bad. I've always been under the impression that the Bible belt consisted of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska.

There are some people I want to see at the reunion (and I kind of helped organize it...).

The family is also frustrating, but I tend to just keep my trap closed (much more republican leaning for instance and still theists. I have a sister-in-law who believes crystals have powers and to a geologist, that is like nails on a chalkboard No )

-Rick
23-06-2015, 04:10 PM
(23-06-2015 02:05 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I don't think Tennessee is considered part of "the bible belt".

It certainly is, though the extent of the craziness depends on what city you're in. Nashville, Knoxville, Memphis, and Chattanooga, not so much.
Everywhere in between = fundie central

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
23-06-2015, 04:22 PM
You gonna wear your Atheist shirt?

Angel

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
23-06-2015, 04:37 PM
(23-06-2015 04:22 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  You gonna wear your Atheist shirt?

Angel

I don't have an atheist shirt, but I am sporting a brand new tattoo on my wrist of Darwin's hand-drawn version of the tree of life from his personal notes. It'll probably be assumed to be demonic or heathen or pagan or etc

[Image: d546580148fa922eea6c3333915c5354.jpg]

-Rick
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post