Trudging down into the Bible Belt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2015, 04:38 PM
RE: Trudging down into the Bible Belt
You're probably not the only one who has changed Smile

I drank a little beforehand to help with the anxiety. Turns out it wasn't so bad. You'll have just enough exposure to them to think - well, it's gonna take me ten more years before I want to see these people again Laugh out load I actually made some career contacts at mine. One of my friends is a CRNA - and I got to shadow her a month later and she's helped guide me through the process of getting into school.

We had a girl overdose in the bathroom, so there was excitement, too! One of my classmates had a traumatic brain injury, and told my (ex) husband he'd have to answer to him if he hurt me. Ooooookkkkkk.

There was a fistfight at my ex's reunion.

Have fun! Just sit back and enjoy the show Big Grin

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
23-06-2015, 04:45 PM
Trudging down into the Bible Belt
(23-06-2015 04:38 PM)Nurse Wrote:  You're probably not the only one who has changed Smile

I drank a little beforehand to help with the anxiety. Turns out it wasn't so bad. You'll have just enough exposure to them to think - well, it's gonna take me ten more years before I want to see these people again Laugh out load I actually made some career contacts at mine. One of my friends is a CRNA - and I got to shadow her a month later and she's helped guide me through the process of getting into school.

We had a girl overdose in the bathroom, so there was excitement, too! One of my classmates had a traumatic brain injury, and told my (ex) husband he'd have to answer to him if he hurt me. Ooooookkkkkk.

There was a fistfight at my ex's reunion.

Have fun! Just sit back and enjoy the show Big Grin

Holy fuck, that sounds like fun.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
23-06-2015, 04:59 PM
I'd consider going to my high school reunion (also in the Bible Belt, but not the depressing rural part). Even back in high school, I always made a distinction between "school friends" and "church friends." From keeping up with them on Facebook, it turns out that almost all of the people I used to hang out with at school were atheists, and the ones who weren't atheists were socially progressive Christians who never talked about religion at all, most of whom later realized that they were actually atheists all along, just like I did. Go figure Laugh out load
I guess I wasn't the only one who had a hard time distinguishing between "genuine belief" and "feigned 'belief' for the sake of pleasing other people."

That's a bitchin tat, btw.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
23-06-2015, 05:04 PM
My 40 year reunion at the Catholic school I graduated from is Saturday...after much back and forth in my head I decided not to go.

That really wasn't the world for me when I was there and it certainly isn't now.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
25-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Oh come on. How bad can it be? I have one liberal friend out of all my high school FB friends from rural Virginia. You may also.
25-06-2015, 11:47 AM
(25-06-2015 11:38 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  Oh come on. How bad can it be? I have one liberal friend out of all my high school FB friends from rural Virginia. You may also.

I've seen some friends from FB that are clearly more liberal-leaning, but I am bemoaning the fact that a rather large portion of them (high school friends) have continued their traipse down the right-leaning path.

That makes it all the more difficult to connect (or re-connect) with those people.

-Rick
25-06-2015, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2015 11:55 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
I hated high school, and have yet to attend any reunion.

As the Dan put it:

29-06-2015, 08:11 AM
A good example of the reason why I don't look forward to trudging down to redneckville. This is how people "argue" their points. Facepalm
[attachment=2813]

-Rick
29-06-2015, 09:31 AM
Two things about high school reunions.

"You can't go home again".....Thomas Wolfe

and

"There is no there there." Gertrude Stein

Deep hu?