"True Atheists are Hypocrites"

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
25-11-2010, 09:54 AM

RE: "True Atheists are Hypocrites"
(25-11-2010 12:03 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, TruthAddict.

Quote:Ghost, can you please define for me what you consider to be "existence"?

I'm not entirely sure I know how to answer this.

Here's how I will. The universe exists. It exists independently of the awareness of it that any organism in the universe has (terrible sentence). It is what it is. I would call that actuality. You and I and slugs and rocks and photons and gravity all exist in actuality.... does that help?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

That sounds a lot to me like objective reality, correct me if I'm wrong. I think the mistake you may be making is the following:

Anything that exists objectively (which you have define to be existence) can be measured and documented empirically. We know the universe exists because we can measure and document it. Similarly, we would know that the supernatural exists because we could measure and document it. Simple observation would allow us to deduce whether or not something exists.

Once we have determined that something exists, we can use science to determine whether or not it has a natural explanation. We can scientifically explain the workings of most of the universe (obviously there are some things we still do not know but that is the point of science).

If science ever confronts something that has been observed to exist but has no scientific explanation, then we have proof that the supernatural exists.

In short, science cannot tell us how the supernatural works, but the simple question of existence can be answered with empirical observation. If anything exists (separate from the awareness of any organism), then it exists objectively. We have methodologies that work that can determine whether or not something exists objectively, whether it be natural or supernatural.

It think the distinction between natural and supernatural resides solely in whether or not the phenomena abides by quantifiable laws of physics.
Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2010, 10:18 AM
What the fuck was that?

Don't ambush me. If you have something to say, say it. Don't put words in my mouth and then act like I've disproved my own point. That's disgraceful.

All of your points were addressed several pages ago.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2010, 05:33 PM
And this is where I differ with you in opinion Matt.

If we encounter a phenomenon that within fair lab conditions and much research absolutely fail to explain or begin to understand then science can technically be used to determine if something has a possibility of being Supernatural. I say possibility of course because as our knowledge grows we may learn to explain more and more about the world.

There has yet to be a single thing that the scientific world has marked to my knowledge as beyond their scope of understanding and testing. That is why I do not think the supernatural exists.

I think it is only right to hold on judgment until we encounter something which the scientific method cannot even begin to dissect or explain.
27-11-2010, 01:18 PM

Religion; a festering sore on the ass of humanity.
Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Hey, Renegademax.

Thanks for that thoughtful contribution to this conversation.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
27-11-2010, 05:15 PM
(27-11-2010 01:18 PM)renegademax Wrote:  Religion; a festering sore on the ass of humanity.

Um....interesting way to introduce yourself there Max.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
27-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Seriously....was such a hateful comment needed?