"True" Freethinker

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-09-2010, 03:02 PM
"True" Freethinker
Has anyone stumbled upon this website? http://www.truefreethinker.com?

I know of a few (christian) people who use him as a source or reference his articles when debating.

What do y'all think of it?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes sosa's post
10-09-2010, 03:35 PM
RE: "True" Freethinker
Dictionary.com says this about the word 'freethinker': ''a person who forms opinions on the basis of reason, independent of authority or tradition, esp. a person whose religious opinions differ from established belief. ''. I do'nt think he fits the definition.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
10-09-2010, 03:36 PM

I read his intelligent design entry, and it's all half-quotes. He does seem to be one of the more educated theists out there speaking for Religion, and I think his s(h)ite is worth a look. I would not dismiss him out of hand.

I am currently downloading his video where he debates with an atheist.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Soldieringon's post
10-09-2010, 03:42 PM
I've honestly only read his article "Atheism Spirituality", which was hard for me to read thoroughly to be honest. It seems like a bunch of mumbo-jumbo.

http://www.truefreethinker.com/articles/...irituality
10-09-2010, 03:51 PM

Read the spirituality article, and somehow he still manages to equate awe and wonder with spirituality. He's (IMHO) misinterpreting Carl Sagan.

Quote:Carl Sagan personified this sort of atheism spirituality as he began the very first episode of "Cosmos" with an utterly unscientific statement,

"The Cosmos is all that is or ever was or ever will be".

So...because Sagan used a little poetic license, now he's religious?

bullshit.
Quote:You’re preaching to the choir. What’s the point?

The nonbelieving choir is much bigger than people think, and it desperately needs encouragement to come out. Judging by the thanks that showered my North American book tour, my articulation of hitherto closeted thoughts is heard as a kind of liberation. The atheist choir, moreover, is too ready to observe society’s convention of according special respect to faith, and it goes along with society’s lamentable habit of labelling small children with the religion of their parents. You’d never speak of a “Marxist child” or a “monetarist child”. So why give religion a free pass to indoctrinate helpless children? There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.

From How Dare You Call Me a Fundamentalist, one of the works cited by "true free thinker". I rather liked the quote.
10-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Site contains articles arguing in favor of intelligent design. Filed under "stupid person acting intelligent" and hereby ignored.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
10-09-2010, 04:02 PM

I've never seen it or heard of this guy but am always skeptical when anyone calls themselves a "true" "X". In this case "freethinker". Most often the statement is fallacious. The "no true scottsman" fallacy. I looked at only one article he wrote re: Hawking's new book and in it he says, "While I have not read the book, nor plan to" (LMAO).....so basically he is giving his opinion on a book he's never read. Then he goes onto quote William Lane Craig, who is not a scientist, physicist or cosmologist and is nothing more than an apologist. What I found in general, most people don't understand how complex these subjects are (physics, quantum mechanics) and the mathematics involved are also extremely complex and are way over most people's heads to even begin to grasp. I'd like to see Craig's or "thefreethinkers" scientifically based counter theories and not just their opinions. I'm happy read counter-theories in science for example, the Susskind–Hawking black hole war but apologetics, IMHO, is a waste of time.
10-09-2010, 04:35 PM
(10-09-2010 03:36 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  I read his intelligent design entry, and it's all half-quotes. He does seem to be one of the more educated theists out there speaking for Religion, and I think his s(h)ite is worth a look. I would not dismiss him out of hand.

I am currently downloading his video where he debates with an atheist.

You should give us your thoughts on the debate. I'm actually at work and have video disabled on my comp Sad
10-09-2010, 11:51 PM

I actually read through a couple of his arguments on the site before the video was done and blew him off (even though I was superficially impressed earlier). Even he admitted in his remarks on the debate that the atheist's comments and beliefs were incomprehensible to him, as his were to the atheist.

At that point, I disengaged and started reading about this instead.

Then I imagined using a tractor beam to suspend a bible just out of reach of a creationist.

(ETA: i can still watch it, though, if you'd like)
11-09-2010, 04:09 AM

He's a Jewish-Christian? I suspect both faiths would consider such a chimera an abomination and consign him to the flames in Heck. Just another apologist, with nothing of substance to contribute.