"True" Freethinker

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
11-09-2010, 06:12 AM
RE: "True" Freethinker
(10-09-2010 11:51 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  I actually read through a couple of his arguments on the site before the video was done and blew him off (even though I was superficially impressed earlier). Even he admitted in his remarks on the debate that the atheist's comments and beliefs were incomprehensible to him, as his were to the atheist.

At that point, I disengaged and started reading about this instead.

Then I imagined using a tractor beam to suspend a bible just out of reach of a creationist.

(ETA: i can still watch it, though, if you'd like)

No, it's alright...just in case you did watch it I was wondering how the atheist did in the debate.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2010, 06:44 AM

I actually just picked up Jesus Camp on another thread, and THAT woman makes Kirk Cameron and Dr. Dino look like rational people. I'm appalled.
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2011, 01:46 AM
Ok. I've seen enough. I couldn't find the Sagan bit, but as soon as they try to pin religion on Sagan My blood begins to boil; But! When they Spat out the Oxymoron "Atheist Spirituality" ! UGGGGHHHHHHHHHH! I just want to Spit in their faces!

The Beauty of The Scientific Method , is the Anticipation of a Better Explanation.
Find all posts by this user
13-05-2014, 08:24 AM
Rainbow RE: "True" Freethinker
(10-09-2010 03:35 PM)Kikko Wrote:  Dictionary.com says this about the word 'freethinker': ''a person who forms opinions on the basis of reason, independent of authority or tradition, esp. a person whose religious opinions differ from established belief. ''. I do'nt think he fits the definition.
"do'nt" should be don't.

One's opinion does not have any bearing on truth. Unless of course you are a supreme being well above humanity. Smile
13-05-2014, 08:27 AM
(10-09-2010 03:42 PM)sosa Wrote:  I've honestly only read his article "Atheism Spirituality", which was hard for me to read thoroughly to be honest. It seems like a bunch of mumbo-jumbo.

http://www.truefreethinker.com/articles/...irituality

Would you like to quote something in the article that fits the classification of either "mumbo" or "jumbo" and give us reasons why it is one of the two?
13-05-2014, 08:32 AM
(10-09-2010 03:51 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  Read the spirituality article, and somehow he still manages to equate awe and wonder with spirituality. He's (IMHO) misinterpreting Carl Sagan.

Quote:Carl Sagan personified this sort of atheism spirituality as he began the very first episode of "Cosmos" with an utterly unscientific statement,

"The Cosmos is all that is or ever was or ever will be".

So...because Sagan used a little poetic license, now he's religious?

bullshit.
Quote:You’re preaching to the choir. What’s the point?

The nonbelieving choir is much bigger than people think, and it desperately needs encouragement to come out. Judging by the thanks that showered my North American book tour, my articulation of hitherto closeted thoughts is heard as a kind of liberation. The atheist choir, moreover, is too ready to observe society’s convention of according special respect to faith, and it goes along with society’s lamentable habit of labelling small children with the religion of their parents. You’d never speak of a “Marxist child” or a “monetarist child”. So why give religion a free pass to indoctrinate helpless children? There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.

From How Dare You Call Me a Fundamentalist, one of the works cited by "true free thinker". I rather liked the quote.

So then following on. There is no such thing as an atheist child. You may be correct. I suppose it all depends on what kind of belief system one teaches their children. If Christians teach the beliefs of Christianity and atheists teach the beliefs of atheism, then both are taught the religion of their parents.
13-05-2014, 08:36 AM
(10-09-2010 04:02 PM)Sunshine Wrote:  I've never seen it or heard of this guy but am always skeptical when anyone calls themselves a "true" "X". In this case "freethinker". Most often the statement is fallacious. The "no true scottsman" fallacy. I looked at only one article he wrote re: Hawking's new book and in it he says, "While I have not read the book, nor plan to" (LMAO).....so basically he is giving his opinion on a book he's never read. Then he goes onto quote William Lane Craig, who is not a scientist, physicist or cosmologist and is nothing more than an apologist. What I found in general, most people don't understand how complex these subjects are (physics, quantum mechanics) and the mathematics involved are also extremely complex and are way over most people's heads to even begin to grasp. I'd like to see Craig's or "thefreethinkers" scientifically based counter theories and not just their opinions. I'm happy read counter-theories in science for example, the Susskind–Hawking black hole war but apologetics, IMHO, is a waste of time.

So you are basing your opinion on one article but you make assumptions about truefreethinker based on ONLY ONE article? Are you not doing exactly the same as you just said the truefreethinker did?

Just wondering.
13-05-2014, 08:38 AM
(10-09-2010 04:00 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Site contains articles arguing in favor of intelligent design. Filed under "stupid person acting intelligent" and hereby ignored.

How intelligent is it to use ad hominem attacks? Seems to me like you have your mind made up and don't want to be confused by facts.

A freethinker is one who makes up his own mind based on evidence rather than bigotted judgements of others.

Talk about evidence and facts not people and opinions.
13-05-2014, 08:40 AM
(11-09-2010 04:09 AM)2buckchuck Wrote:  He's a Jewish-Christian? I suspect both faiths would consider such a chimera an abomination and consign him to the flames in Heck. Just another apologist, with nothing of substance to contribute.

I see that you are offering your biased opinions and trying to disguise them as facts. Do you not have an open mind to something you may not have known before?
13-05-2014, 08:43 AM
(11-09-2010 04:09 AM)2buckchuck Wrote:  He's a Jewish-Christian? I suspect both faiths would consider such a chimera an abomination and consign him to the flames in Heck. Just another apologist, with nothing of substance to contribute.

Sounds like your comments are "Just the opinion of another neo-atheist." rather than someone that is open to arguments from both sides of issues. Too bad.