True love! Or not!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2016, 05:18 PM
True love! Or not!
so I saw this post earlier about explaining love or whatever. It reminded me of a sermon from church that I used to believe with my whole heart. Basically the church teaches that without God and accepting Jesus you can not experience true love. Without the ultimate sacrifice you just have no clue what love is.
So tell me guys.. Are you loveless? Have you truly not experienced true love?! What the hell even defines true love?
All answers accepted because I'm sure someone will get smart/ sarcastic/ weird (those are the most fun)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Jewelarcher's post
21-03-2016, 05:23 PM
RE: True love! Or not!
(21-03-2016 05:18 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  so I saw this post earlier about explaining love or whatever. It reminded me of a sermon from church that I used to believe with my whole heart. Basically the church teaches that without God and accepting Jesus you can not experience true love. Without the ultimate sacrifice you just have no clue what love is.

Lets just say that church teaches many things. It does not mean that they're true.

(21-03-2016 05:18 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  So tell me guys.. Are you loveless? Have you truly not experienced true love?! What the hell even defines true love?

All love is true. For a time that is.

And no, I'm not loveless. I love myself Wink

(21-03-2016 05:18 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  All answers accepted because I'm sure someone will get smart/ sarcastic/ weird (those are the most fun)

All answers accepted? It's not like you can not accept one.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
21-03-2016, 05:26 PM
(21-03-2016 05:23 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(21-03-2016 05:18 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  so I saw this post earlier about explaining love or whatever. It reminded me of a sermon from church that I used to believe with my whole heart. Basically the church teaches that without God and accepting Jesus you can not experience true love. Without the ultimate sacrifice you just have no clue what love is.

Lets just say that church teaches many things. It does not mean that they're true.

(21-03-2016 05:18 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  So tell me guys.. Are you loveless? Have you truly not experienced true love?! What the hell even defines true love?

All love is true. For a time that is.

And no, I'm not loveless. I love myself Wink

(21-03-2016 05:18 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  All answers accepted because I'm sure someone will get smart/ sarcastic/ weird (those are the most fun)

All answers accepted? It's not like you can not accept one.
Haha I just meant I look forward to every answer. This group can get very colorful!
I used to feel sad for all the atheists and non Christians because they just didn't know love. But since I've left religion I can't say that the "feelings" of love have changed one bit.
21-03-2016, 05:28 PM
(21-03-2016 05:18 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  What the hell even defines true love?

I got your back. No matter what. That is love. .... oh and this.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-03-2016, 05:29 PM
You can experience true love without believing in a magical deity. Parents have true love their children. Spouses have true love for each other. Family members have true love for each other. People even experience true love for their pets.

The church loves to dictate what emotions people do and do not experience. The church is a business, it knows what it's doing. The church knows it always needs to go after raw emotion--as human beings we all (well, most of us anyway) have them. If you bank on emotions and wrap them up in religion and use guilt and magic as explanations, you will always have repeat customers.
21-03-2016, 05:34 PM
(21-03-2016 05:26 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  Haha I just meant I look forward to every answer. This group can get very colorful!

I'm realized that. I'm just kinda dickish.

(21-03-2016 05:26 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  I used to feel sad for all the atheists and non Christians because they just didn't know love. But since I've left religion I can't say that the "feelings" of love have changed one bit.

Well, I pity believers. Living with threat of hell hanging above them like sword of Damocles isn't cool.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
21-03-2016, 05:35 PM
(21-03-2016 05:29 PM)jennybee Wrote:  You can experience true love without believing in a magical deity. Parents have true love their children. Spouses have true love for each other. Family members have true love for each other. People even experience true love for their pets.

The church loves to dictate what emotions people do and do not experience. The church is a business, it knows what it's doing. The church knows it always needs to go after raw emotion--as human beings we all (well, most of us anyway) have them. If you bank on emotions and wrap them up in religion and use guilt and magic as explanations, you will always have repeat customers.

that's the point I used to bring up.. about the love for children.
this church was small.. we were maybe 6-10 at a time.. and I was bug on asking questions.. trying to understand.. but you know they didn't tell me what I needed to know. they would always reference jesus and how his axct was the only act of true love. without knowing the love of a man who laid down his life.. you cant know love.
me now.. im thinking that's straight bs. btw that video.. best thing ever! but I cant love it because I gave up true love with religion.. sorry Tongue
21-03-2016, 05:40 PM
So tell me guys.. Are you loveless? Have you truly not experienced true love?! What the hell even defines true love?
All answers accepted because I'm sure someone will get smart/ sarcastic/ weird (those are the most fun)

I am absolutely in love with my husband, who is my best friend as well as my sweetheart. I think that if you were to try to live with the church restrictions placed upon people- (such as women should be submissive, and men in charge, and all of the other strange ideas the church teaches )- that there would be a wall built up between people based upon what they think they ought to do and be- instead of actually being the person who they really are. People who are in churches seem to spend a lot of time trying to be someone that fits into the ideas of the church instead of being themselves.
It would be impossible for me to be genuine. My husband and I had to get to know each other well, the good parts and the bad parts of each of us, and learn how to work with it together instead of pretending that good and bad qualities do not exist, or trying to change each other... I have seen some couples who pretend to be happy together- but complain about each other or criticize each other when we visit them... we can't stand to see people treat each other badly like that... atheism has added good things to our relationship.
[+] 2 users Like carol's post
21-03-2016, 05:45 PM
(21-03-2016 05:34 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(21-03-2016 05:26 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  Haha I just meant I look forward to every answer. This group can get very colorful!

I'm realized that. I'm just kinda dickish.

(21-03-2016 05:26 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  I used to feel sad for all the atheists and non Christians because they just didn't know love. But since I've left religion I can't say that the "feelings" of love have changed one bit.

Well, I pity believers. Living with threat of hell hanging above them like sword of Damocles isn't cool.

its so funny though. they say that they "escaped" hell. but in return they have to please god enough to not be thrown into the outer darkness and shadows of heaven. the one thing my preacher used to say that got me was "heaven isn't a happy place" because if you fail to do whats required of you.. well you lose all of your rewards, burnt up in front of you. or you get the "turn from me I never knew you" speech from jesus (I am well on my way to that part) or you can fail to preach to someone and when they are tossed into the eternal fire pit YOU are blamed for their non belief, their blood is on your hands. and well there is also the mention of weeping and gnashing of teeth in heaven too.. WHO WANTS THAT?!?!?
21-03-2016, 05:46 PM
(21-03-2016 05:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I got your back. No matter what. That is love.

Yes, perfect answer.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post