True love! Or not!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2016, 05:49 PM
RE: True love! Or not!
(21-03-2016 05:40 PM)carol Wrote:  
(21-03-2016 05:18 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  so I saw this post earlier about explaining love or whatever. It reminded me of a sermon from church that I used to believe with my whole heart. Basically the church teaches that without God and accepting Jesus you can not experience true love. Without the ultimate sacrifice you just have no clue what love is.
So tell me guys.. Are you loveless? Have you truly not experienced true love?! What the hell even defines true love?
All answers accepted because I'm sure someone will get smart/ sarcastic/ weird (those are the most fun)

I am absolutely in love with my husband, who is my best friend as well as my sweetheart. I think that if you were to try to live with the church restrictions placed upon people- (such as women should be submissive, and men in charge, and all of the other strange ideas the church teaches )- that there would be a wall built up between people based upon what they think they ought to do and be- instead of actually being the person who they really are. People who are in churches seem to spend a lot of time trying to be someone that fits into the ideas of the church instead of being themselves.
It would be impossible for me to be genuine. My husband and I had to get to know each other well, the good parts and the bad parts of each of us, and learn how to work with it together instead of pretending that good and bad qualities do not exist, or trying to change each other... I have seen some couples who pretend to be happy together- but complain about each other or criticize each other when we visit them... we can't stand to see people treat each other badly like that... atheism has added good things to our relationship.

This is new for me, giving up my beliefs and calling myself a non believer. But my boyfriend within a week has already said that im a better person. So I can see how atheism has added to your life. Because I am a much happier person without my beliefs. If anything my love for people has grown because im not concerned with what they believe or if they are living a good life. Now im more concerned with are they even enjoying their life?
Our relationship was actually on the rocks pretty hard when I started this process.. and now its better than ever.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Jewelarcher's post
21-03-2016, 05:53 PM
(21-03-2016 05:49 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(21-03-2016 05:40 PM)carol Wrote:  I am absolutely in love with my husband, who is my best friend as well as my sweetheart. I think that if you were to try to live with the church restrictions placed upon people- (such as women should be submissive, and men in charge, and all of the other strange ideas the church teaches )- that there would be a wall built up between people based upon what they think they ought to do and be- instead of actually being the person who they really are. People who are in churches seem to spend a lot of time trying to be someone that fits into the ideas of the church instead of being themselves.
It would be impossible for me to be genuine. My husband and I had to get to know each other well, the good parts and the bad parts of each of us, and learn how to work with it together instead of pretending that good and bad qualities do not exist, or trying to change each other... I have seen some couples who pretend to be happy together- but complain about each other or criticize each other when we visit them... we can't stand to see people treat each other badly like that... atheism has added good things to our relationship.

This is new for me, giving up my beliefs and calling myself a non believer. But my boyfriend within a week has already said that im a better person. So I can see how atheism has added to your life. Because I am a much happier person without my beliefs. If anything my love for people has grown because im not concerned with what they believe or if they are living a good life. Now im more concerned with are they even enjoying their life?
Our relationship was actually on the rocks pretty hard when I started this process.. and now its better than ever.

Hug It is so much easier to be genuine, isn't it? To feel free to accept people as they are without being afraid of religious restrictions, to be OK with yourself and the people that you love- I agree with you completely.
21-03-2016, 05:54 PM
The church is attempting to TM love. Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-03-2016, 06:03 PM
(21-03-2016 05:18 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  so I saw this post earlier about explaining love or whatever. It reminded me of a sermon from church that I used to believe with my whole heart. Basically the church teaches that without God and accepting Jesus you can not experience true love. Without the ultimate sacrifice you just have no clue what love is.
So tell me guys.. Are you loveless? Have you truly not experienced true love?! What the hell even defines true love?
All answers accepted because I'm sure someone will get smart/ sarcastic/ weird (those are the most fun)

I have found true love, we've been together for almost 9 years, my entire twenties and we're about to get married. He's an agnostic and when we first met we actually didn't talk about religion much but he was raised without religion. His mother and extended family are a bunch of hippie Christians, they believe in Jesus but they're very New Age about it, they only like the good stuff, the love stuff. Their Jesus is totally cool with gay people for example. They also never go to church and they don't mind I don't believe in God and will happily debate with me with no hard feelings.

He has changed my life in a lot of great ways, he's made me more confident and friendly. He's the best person I've ever met, a knight in shining armor type who's always trying to help people. He'll even sit and listen to my rants about Christianity and give me good feedback but he's not as hard core as I am but I grew up differently and I've seen first hand the damage of religion so that's why I'm more passionate about it. He's just very laid back and down to Earth, I can't imagine him not being able to get along with anyone, I'm just glad I found him early before some other girl could get to him.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
21-03-2016, 06:12 PM
(21-03-2016 05:26 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(21-03-2016 05:23 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Lets just say that church teaches many things. It does not mean that they're true.

All love is true. For a time that is.

And no, I'm not loveless. I love myself Wink

All answers accepted? It's not like you can not accept one.
Haha I just meant I look forward to every answer. This group can get very colorful!
I used to feel sad for all the atheists and non Christians because they just didn't know love. But since I've left religion I can't say that the "feelings" of love have changed one bit.

Your response reminds me of a friend who was obsessed with Twilight and I hated it, she said I didn't like it because I don't understand what romance is. I told her romance is not being pursued by a monster who is stronger than you and desperately wants to drink your blood and kill you but doesn't because he loves you, that's called an abusive relationship.

I think we all just define it in our own ways though, love is different for everyone but once you have it even if it's unique it doesn't mean it's wrong. I think it's important to understand love always has standards and it should. No one should love anyone who is abusive, mean, evil, etc. If Jesus can love a serial killer but can't open his heart to an atheist doctor researching a cure for cancer than I question his judgement. It makes me feel his love pretty worthless in that case, if you love everyone, you love no one.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
21-03-2016, 06:15 PM

Yes, how cold any one be expected to love their god unless one were to drink his blood and crunch into a cracker that is in actuality that God's body. What love!! The other example of love that is usually given is God arranging the murder of his son and calling that love.
21-03-2016, 06:17 PM
Love is such a broad term that means so very many things that it's impossible to define. We all know it when we feel it though and I think it's pretty safe to say that we all have.

Instead let us speak of what love isn't.
- Love is not something that can be demanded or commanded.
- Love is not delivered with bowed head kneeling in submission to your Lord and Master.
- Love is not the result of petty threats.

If this "True Love" they speak of is the extatic relief that you feel from the belief that you won't spend eternity in torment then I'll stick with the generic variety thanks just the same.

These 30 seconds of this video says it well: https://youtu.be/r6w2M50_Xdk?t=10m18s

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
21-03-2016, 06:18 PM
I don't even know what true love is. I haven't really defined it for myself, I suppose. Sticky subject. Hobo

21-03-2016, 06:22 PM
(21-03-2016 06:03 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  

I have found true love, we've been together for almost 9 years, my entire twenties and we're about to get married. He's an agnostic and when we first met we actually didn't talk about religion much but he was raised without religion. His mother and extended family are a bunch of hippie Christians, they believe in Jesus but they're very New Age about it, they only like the good stuff, the love stuff. Their Jesus is totally cool with gay people for example. They also never go to church and they don't mind I don't believe in God and will happily debate with me with no hard feelings.

He has changed my life in a lot of great ways, he's made me more confident and friendly. He's the best person I've ever met, a knight in shining armor type who's always trying to help people. He'll even sit and listen to my rants about Christianity and give me good feedback but he's not as hard core as I am but I grew up differently and I've seen first hand the damage of religion so that's why I'm more passionate about it. He's just very laid back and down to Earth, I can't imagine him not being able to get along with anyone, I'm just glad I found him early before some other girl could get to him.

I love these answers! the ones about your loves! the kind that makes you feel love from across the world. those are the best!
[+] 1 user Likes Jewelarcher's post
21-03-2016, 06:25 PM
(21-03-2016 05:53 PM)carol Wrote:  
(21-03-2016 05:49 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  This is new for me, giving up my beliefs and calling myself a non believer. But my boyfriend within a week has already said that im a better person. So I can see how atheism has added to your life. Because I am a much happier person without my beliefs. If anything my love for people has grown because im not concerned with what they believe or if they are living a good life. Now im more concerned with are they even enjoying their life?

Hug It is so much easier to be genuine, isn't it? To feel free to accept people as they are without being afraid of religious restrictions, to be OK with yourself and the people that you love- I agree with you completely.

yes! because no matter how hard you try to be an accepting Christian.. it never worked. im much more accepting of people and I think that's the way I should have been my whole life.
no longer.. I see your problem let me tell you what the bible says
but now its I see you and your troubles, how can I help you?