21-03-2016, 06:29 PM
RE: True love! Or not!

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2016, 06:29 PM
(21-03-2016 06:12 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  
(21-03-2016 05:26 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  Haha I just meant I look forward to every answer. This group can get very colorful!
I used to feel sad for all the atheists and non Christians because they just didn't know love. But since I've left religion I can't say that the "feelings" of love have changed one bit.

Your response reminds me of a friend who was obsessed with Twilight and I hated it, she said I didn't like it because I don't understand what romance is. I told her romance is not being pursued by a monster who is stronger than you and desperately wants to drink your blood and kill you but doesn't because he loves you, that's called an abusive relationship.

I think we all just define it in our own ways though, love is different for everyone but once you have it even if it's unique it doesn't mean it's wrong. I think it's important to understand love always has standards and it should. No one should love anyone who is abusive, mean, evil, etc. If Jesus can love a serial killer but can't open his heart to an atheist doctor researching a cure for cancer than I question his judgement. It makes me feel his love pretty worthless in that case, if you love everyone, you love no one.

love shouldn't be I died for you now worship me.. or go to hell your choice.
you shouldn't fear the one you love.
[+] 5 users Like Jewelarcher's post
21-03-2016, 06:31 PM
(21-03-2016 05:45 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(21-03-2016 05:34 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I'm realized that. I'm just kinda dickish.

Well, I pity believers. Living with threat of hell hanging above them like sword of Damocles isn't cool.

its so funny though. they say that they "escaped" hell. but in return they have to please god enough to not be thrown into the outer darkness and shadows of heaven. the one thing my preacher used to say that got me was "heaven isn't a happy place" because if you fail to do whats required of you.. well you lose all of your rewards, burnt up in front of you. or you get the "turn from me I never knew you" speech from jesus (I am well on my way to that part) or you can fail to preach to someone and when they are tossed into the eternal fire pit YOU are blamed for their non belief, their blood is on your hands. and well there is also the mention of weeping and gnashing of teeth in heaven too.. WHO WANTS THAT?!?!?

And in the Nude Testicles part of the Babble there is a story about the people in Heaven looking across the brink and gloating at the people they see being tormented with the lake of fire! That is real Love!
21-03-2016, 06:34 PM
(21-03-2016 06:29 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

whats this for?
21-03-2016, 06:35 PM
(21-03-2016 06:31 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(21-03-2016 05:45 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  its so funny though. they say that they "escaped" hell. but in return they have to please god enough to not be thrown into the outer darkness and shadows of heaven. the one thing my preacher used to say that got me was "heaven isn't a happy place" because if you fail to do whats required of you.. well you lose all of your rewards, burnt up in front of you. or you get the "turn from me I never knew you" speech from jesus (I am well on my way to that part) or you can fail to preach to someone and when they are tossed into the eternal fire pit YOU are blamed for their non belief, their blood is on your hands. and well there is also the mention of weeping and gnashing of teeth in heaven too.. WHO WANTS THAT?!?!?

And in the Nude Testicles part of the Babble there is a story about the people in Heaven looking across the brink and gloating at the people they see being tormented with the lake of fire! That is real Love!

sounds like the story of the tax collector and the Pharisees..
"thank you lord that I am not like them"

except the tables have turned.
21-03-2016, 08:19 PM
(21-03-2016 06:35 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(21-03-2016 06:31 PM)DerFish Wrote:  And in the Nude Testicles part of the Babble there is a story about the people in Heaven looking across the brink and gloating at the people they see being tormented with the lake of fire! That is real Love!

sounds like the story of the tax collector and the Pharisees..

And Jewerarcher, it's interesting that atheist have a lower divorce rate than Christians. It's even lower than Mormons.

http://atheism.about.com/od/atheistfamil...ivorce.htm

I think it's because atheists think things through logically and cut to the crap in a relationship. Instead of being pushed into a relationship by religious conventions and expectations, atheists look at the love relationship as an equal partnership.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
21-03-2016, 08:42 PM
(21-03-2016 08:19 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(21-03-2016 06:35 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  sounds like the story of the tax collector and the Pharisees..

And Jewerarcher, it's interesting that atheist have a lower divorce rate than Christians. It's even lower than Mormons.

http://atheism.about.com/od/atheistfamil...ivorce.htm

I think it's because atheists think things through logically and cut to the crap in a relationship. Instead of being pushed into a relationship by religious conventions and expectations, atheists look at the love relationship as an equal partnership.

i could totally see that!
21-03-2016, 08:59 PM
I'm not very sentimental, so the idea of "true love" makes me a little uncomfortable. I wouldn't say every day of my 20 years of married life has been ecstatic.

There's something about all of the shared experiences, our failures and successes and projects, the jokes that are only funny because we were both there, the respect we've developed from standing back to back and taking on the world together, the way we can still flirt with each other… Is it storybook true love? Dunno. True love as depicted in storybooks would feel smothering to me, I think.

I do know that religion had nothing to do with it, except that one of the ways we bond is to bitch about religion and religious people.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
21-03-2016, 09:04 PM
I don't see what's wrong with divorce.... you grow up, you grow apart. What's wrong with acknowledging your differences and moving on? When a partnership, especially one that was entered into at a very young age, no longer services the couple, then why shouldn't the couple feel proud and confident to call it quits and find new partners who are more suited?
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
21-03-2016, 09:30 PM
(21-03-2016 09:04 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I don't see what's wrong with divorce.... you grow up, you grow apart. What's wrong with acknowledging your differences and moving on? When a partnership, especially one that was entered into at a very young age, no longer services the couple, then why shouldn't the couple feel proud and confident to call it quits and find new partners who are more suited?

good point. i didnt even think about that.
[+] 1 user Likes Jewelarcher's post