True love! Or not!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2016, 11:26 AM
RE: True love! Or not!
(23-03-2016 07:53 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(21-03-2016 05:18 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  so I saw this post earlier about explaining love or whatever. It reminded me of a sermon from church that I used to believe with my whole heart. Basically the church teaches that without God and accepting Jesus you can not experience true love. Without the ultimate sacrifice you just have no clue what love is.
So tell me guys.. Are you loveless? Have you truly not experienced true love?! What the hell even defines true love?
All answers accepted because I'm sure someone will get smart/ sarcastic/ weird (those are the most fun)

There are different kinds of love. The New Testament was written in Greek and that language has different words for the different kinds of love. One word is agape, which means a determination to do what is best for the one loved. That is probably the kind meant in the sermon you refer to. That is how God loves us and is how Christians are commanded to love each other.

Another word is phileo. It means caring for someone because you like them. This is probably what most people have in mind when they think of love. This is used in the name Philadelphia, which means the city of brotherly love.

A third word, eros, refers to sexual love. I don't believe this word is used in the New Testament.

The fact that we speak English sometimes makes it difficult for us to understand what the Bible says about love because we have only one word for it while the Bible uses two.

thats interesting! thank you for sharing!
during the sermon though.. we mentioned one of the members of the church who is saved and married to an athiest. they told her she can love him but he could never love her.

but they also blame his alcoholism on being a non believer. because christians dont drink alcohol.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2016, 04:20 PM
(21-03-2016 05:18 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  so I saw this post earlier about explaining love or whatever. It reminded me of a sermon from church that I used to believe with my whole heart. Basically the church teaches that without God and accepting Jesus you can not experience true love. Without the ultimate sacrifice you just have no clue what love is.
So tell me guys.. Are you loveless? Have you truly not experienced true love?! What the hell even defines true love?
All answers accepted because I'm sure someone will get smart/ sarcastic/ weird (those are the most fun)

I don't know what "true love" is.
But I believe that anybody can experience love.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
23-03-2016, 11:07 PM
I've experienced love once, years ago, and a whole lot of lust more recently Tongue

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
23-03-2016, 11:30 PM
(23-03-2016 11:07 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
I've experienced love once, years ago, and a whole lot of lust more recently Tongue

Oh em gee lol Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Jewelarcher's post