"True" omnipotence invalidates theodicy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2013, 05:32 AM
RE: "True" omnipotence invalidates theodicy
(04-10-2013 03:50 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Most questions, like could an all powerful God create a rock so heavy that even he could not move it, when examined closely turn out to be nonsensical. In the case of the rock, the question basically boils down to, "can God create a movable/unmovable rock" and such a question is nonsense. Nonsense questions are always nonsense questions even if preceded by the words "Can God".

But can a being that it's followers claim can do anything and is limitless, be held by the bounds of logic and reason? The questions may be nonsensical, but is that the fault of the question itself or the premises that gave rise to that question? Nonsensical premises can give rise to nonsensical questions...

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2013, 05:54 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2013 06:11 AM by houseofcantor.)

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-10-2013, 05:55 AM
Why does my post disappear? Consider

04-10-2013, 05:57 AM
(04-10-2013 05:55 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Why does my post disappear? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
04-10-2013, 06:00 AM
(04-10-2013 05:57 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-10-2013 05:55 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Why does my post disappear? Consider

I cleared the cache, and still, the above empty-seeming post has content not visible unless the "reply" button is used. You have this kinda problem?

04-10-2013, 06:07 AM
(04-10-2013 06:00 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(04-10-2013 05:57 AM)Chas Wrote:  

I cleared the cache, and still, the above empty-seeming post has content not visible unless the "reply" button is used. You have this kinda problem?

I have seen things like this on occasion. I assume they are database blips on the server.

Have you tried 'Edit'?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
04-10-2013, 06:12 AM
(04-10-2013 06:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-10-2013 06:00 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I cleared the cache, and still, the above empty-seeming post has content not visible unless the "reply" button is used. You have this kinda problem?

I have seen things like this on occasion. I assume they are database blips on the server.

Have you tried 'Edit'?

Third time. Dodgy

Stupid server. Here's a summary: there's Gwynnies. Heart

04-10-2013, 07:44 AM
(04-10-2013 03:50 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Most questions, like could an all powerful God create a rock so heavy that even he could not move it, when examined closely turn out to be nonsensical. In the case of the rock, the question basically boils down to, "can God create a movable/unmovable rock" and such a question is nonsense. Nonsense questions are always nonsense questions even if preceded by the words "Can God".

This is true; however, often, when these questions are brought up, the believer will posit that God can do anything, including violate logic as we know it. Whether or not that even makes any sense is beside the point, because once they accept that, they invalidate any attempt at theodicy that involves God having limitations. I simply think that a lot of believers really don't know the logical consequences of picturing a god with literally no limits. That's the purpose of the OP in this thread.

You can have one, you can have the other, but you can't have both. Most believers believe in a god who is really powerful, but not all powerful. They just like to call him "all powerful", because it sounds better.
04-10-2013, 08:10 AM
(04-10-2013 07:44 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  

This is true; however, often, when these questions are brought up, the believer will posit that God can do anything, including violate logic as we know it. Whether or not that even makes any sense is beside the point, because once they accept that, they invalidate any attempt at theodicy that involves God having limitations. I simply think that a lot of believers really don't know the logical consequences of picturing a god with literally no limits. That's the purpose of the OP in this thread.

You can have one, you can have the other, but you can't have both. Most believers believe in a god who is really powerful, but not all powerful. They just like to call him "all powerful", because it sounds better.

I did a couple of months in church as part of my researching being a prophet, and two things had to occur:

In my mind
1 Substitute "Gwyneth Paltrow" for "Jesus Christ" every time that name came up.
2 Scream "god is not good."

They cannot accept the second because they cannot accept the second.
Christian theology breaks upon these shores.

04-10-2013, 08:19 AM

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....