True stories that didn't happen
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2014, 08:33 AM
True stories that didn't happen
Hey folks, so I've been listening to some lectures I bought. They're from The Learning Company and it's called The Historical Jesus. They're actually really interesting. They state up front this isn't a debate about theism vs non-theism, but just a historical lecture of the history of the bible, Jesus, competing ideas, etc. They don't pull any punches though.

Anywhoo, something interesting that came up was that stories of historical Jesus are real, but they didn't happen. For example, breaking bread and feeding the masses. The speaker said in this time, people traveled great distances to see Jesus. Likely they would not have traveled unprepared, which means rations. As people flock together, and Jesus preaches sharing and giving, 1 person splits bread for 2. 2 people split their bread for 4....4 to 8, 8 to 16, 16 to 32 and so on and so on. Before you know it, Jesus has 'fed' this humongous group of people by breaking bread and fish. It's 'true' but it 'didn't happen'.

I thought that was pretty cool. There are plenty of other examples of historians and scholars who apply some realism to miracles. They then took it into an explanation of misinterpretation, competition against Apollonius of Tyana, etc.

Just thought I'd share. If anyone is interested, I'd recommend them. They're a good listen for the car and it certainly strengthens a lot of atheist arguments. You can google 'the learning company the historical jesus' and you'll see it.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2014, 10:45 AM
RE: True stories that didn't happen
My piece of bread would have been pretty damn small though hey?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply