Trump Appellate Nominee Says Her Religion Supersedes the Constitution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2017, 03:47 AM
RE: Trump Appellate Nominee Says Her Religion Supersedes the Constitution
There would be no justice. All there would be is a person who closes her eyes, silently talks to herself, ignores all the evidence and says "God has told me that you are guilty."

At that point, hopefully we would begin to see police officers and officials ignore her judgements and walk out of the courtroom.

Any order given or signed by her would just be ignored as the rantings of a delusional person.

Perhaps defendants wouldn't even show up to court saying "God told me not to go and from what I understand, that trumps the law right ?"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
13-09-2017, 04:23 AM
(13-09-2017 03:47 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  There would be no justice. All there would be is a person who closes her eyes, silently talks to herself, ignores all the evidence and says "God has told me that you are guilty."

At that point, hopefully we would begin to see police officers and officials ignore her judgements and walk out of the courtroom.

Any order given or signed by her would just be ignored as the rantings of a delusional person.

Perhaps defendants wouldn't even show up to court saying "God told me not to go and from what I understand, that trumps the law right ?"

You forgot the golden rule of christian reasoning when its about who is allowed to do what: Quod licet iovi non licet bovi (special pleading everywhere Big Grin )

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
13-09-2017, 04:43 AM
I have a better question.... is this one gonna resign soon or not?

The more one asserts their own unquestioned preconceived beliefs, the more demanding I will be for empirical evidence for I will accept nothing else in place of it
13-09-2017, 06:30 AM
Pence already stands out that he's a Christian first and puts that before the countries laws. So nothing unfamiliar I'd say

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
13-09-2017, 07:13 AM
Wasn't one of the Republican's big issues during the last campaign activist judges?

I guess what they meant was that they wanted their own activist judges on the bench.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
13-09-2017, 08:02 AM
(12-09-2017 02:09 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(12-09-2017 01:48 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Don't appellate judges have to swear to uphold the constitution and the laws? Hard to do that when you think your opinion outweighs your oath.

The problem is that, to her (if she's a good Catholic), it's not opinion, it's The Truth™. God's truth, if you believe in it, must outweigh anything earthly.

I just find the hypocrisy and duplicity frustrating. They will swear by their god with a hand on their bible to support the constitution while fully intending to ignore anything that doesn't agree with their personal beliefs.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
13-09-2017, 08:23 AM
I'd take most of what is written on the "DailyKos" with as much skepticism as rightwing news sources. They have an agenda just as much as infowars does. I did some searching for the actual transcript of the hearing but haven't found it yet. I've seen some other sources "Politico" with quotes but I am looking for the actual transcript. Why am I looking for the transcript? Politico has the following quote but I want to find the actual transcript.

Quote:Barrett insisted that she'd abide by all precedent and that her writings on the subject actually explain that Catholic judges who find a conflict between their religious views and a specific case need to step aside from that case.

"It's never appropriate for a judge to impose that judge's personal convictions, whether they arise from faith or anywhere else, on the law," Barrett said during the hearing.

If those are true quotes then the DailyKos left out some important information. I am not competent or knowledgeable enough to evaluate whether Amy Barrett should be confirmed and maybe she shouldn't. I simply want to point out that the DailyKos is not a good source for balanced journalism any more than AiG should be used in a discussion of Evolution.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
[+] 3 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
13-09-2017, 09:04 AM
This is more balanced, but the Dem senators seemed not to believe her.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arch...tt/539124/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
13-09-2017, 09:32 AM
If a judge (or other politician) says they're Christian first, and they want to fix our laws to more properly reflect their faith, I can see that. I don't like it. If they can't prove their beliefs are real, I don't like the idea that they'd try to force them on me, but I can understand from their point of view. At least they'd be working within the bounds of the law to enact the change they want.

What I'm seeing in this thread is far worse. If someone goes against the law to enact their theocracy, then the law should step in and stop them.
13-09-2017, 10:13 AM
(13-09-2017 07:13 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Wasn't one of the Republican's big issues during the last campaign activist judges?

I guess what they meant was that they wanted their own activist judges on the bench.
This is coming from people that don't seem to realize or care that the notion of how they want judges to rule comes out of the 80s, and isn't the basis of the tradition they think they are upholding.

I'd rather have then be for active understanding of law hyper Christians than spread the lie that original intent promotes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson