Trump Appellate Nominee Says Her Religion Supersedes the Constitution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2017, 03:47 PM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2017 09:20 PM by DLJ.)
RE: Trump Appellate Nominee Says Her Religion Supersedes the Constitution
(16-09-2017 08:48 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(16-09-2017 03:16 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  "So help me god" is not required for any federal oath. The inductee may simply omit this as he or she wishes. I did so swearing into the USAF -- er, affirming.

I was citing Dr H's reference to 28 U.S.C. § 453 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 28. Judiciary and Judicial Procedure §453. Oaths of justices and judges.

Are you saying that this judicial oath does not have to be followed verbatim, or that it's just a guide? Huh

I stand corrected insofar as judges are concerned, though that part of the statute is likely unenforceable, given that the judge in question could simply appeal on the grounds of Art VI, Sec 3 of the American Constitution forbidding religious tests for public office. It's my understanding as well that affirmation is legally as binding as an oath, and legally acceptable as well. An affirmation, being secular, necessarily excludes those final four words.

The Supreme Court has ruled that state laws requiring that language for oaths were unConstitutional. Such a precedent would likely be applied to the federal judiciary oath as well.

But you're right; the language is in the law, and it has yet to be challenged by anyone with legal standing (i.e., the nominee) to do so.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
17-09-2017, 03:50 PM
(17-09-2017 12:18 AM)Banjo Wrote:  How is asking people do something knocking them?

[...]

Do something.

That's the thing; I have done something -- what I can -- and yet you're happy to lump me in with others who support him anyway.

Hard to believe I have to explain this to you, but we aren't all in agreement with Trump's election, and many, many of us are doing what we can to counteract it. I know it doesn't jibe with your stereotype of knuckle-dragging Americans, but hey, that's not my problem. You go on thinking as you wish, unperturbed by things like details and nuance.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
17-09-2017, 03:50 PM
What do you suggest Mordant? I am very concerned. Hence my speaking this way.

From what I see, the level of discussion has sunk to a low dangerous enough that discussion between ideals has become impossible. One side is the enemy of the other. This situation has often become civil war in the past. As America has already had a civil war, the possibility for another is there. This is a grave concern.

Is America so dysfunctional that there is no way out? Your post, which shows a tired soul, would suggest this.

As for the tweets. I see them as fodder for the ignorant. Tweets distract the mob from what may be happening behind the curtain they provide. If the tweets are meaningless, than what may lurk behind is a terrible concern.

I really hope you guys can do something. Mordant, you seem to have given up hope.

Is it really that far gone?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
17-09-2017, 04:17 PM
(12-09-2017 12:04 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(12-09-2017 11:54 AM)Dom Wrote:  Mike Pence: A ‘born-again, evangelical Catholic’

Mike Pence: A ‘born-again, evangelical Catholic liar.'

Fixed that.

The question is, WTF is someone so insane even doing teaching at Notre Dame ?
Because it's Notre Dame, a Catholic university.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-09-2017, 06:19 PM
(17-09-2017 12:18 AM)Banjo Wrote:  How is asking people do something knocking them?

As Thump already said, we are doing what we can in an unfair and ridiculous political system.

Your post came across with an accusatory tone. That's all.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
17-09-2017, 07:53 PM
(17-09-2017 06:19 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  

As Thump already said, we are doing what we can in an unfair and ridiculous political system.

Your post came across with an accusatory tone. That's all.

I'm not responsible for interpretation.

One thing that appears very very different between our two nations is how we deal with criticism. Americans seem unable to deal with it. Tell an Aussie he screwed up and it's likely he'll agree. An American will probably deny it and blame those stating it.

I think when an ally points out a fault, it is worth taking the time to listen. Save the "USA USA!" BS for someone else. Aussies will just laugh at you.

Ask DLJ. The poor Poms have been putting up with us for years. An Aussie cricketer once asked the Queen for her autograph at a match. Big Grin

We don't respond well to so called authority. Nor patriotism. The vestige of scoundrels.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
17-09-2017, 08:38 PM
(17-09-2017 03:50 PM)Banjo Wrote:  What do you suggest Mordant? I am very concerned. Hence my speaking this way.

From what I see, the level of discussion has sunk to a low dangerous enough that discussion between ideals has become impossible. One side is the enemy of the other. This situation has often become civil war in the past. As America has already had a civil war, the possibility for another is there. This is a grave concern.

Is America so dysfunctional that there is no way out? Your post, which shows a tired soul, would suggest this.

It's not just Republicans against Democrats. There are great divisions even within the major parties, and many Americans are Independents as well. We likely could never split into just two warring sides.

Our system was created in such a way that compromise is necessary, and some people don't want to compromise anymore. Trump was elected to break the gridlock in the favor of 35% of Americans, as if throwing a monkey wrench into the works could have a positive effect. When that is shown to work no better than business as usual (and really a lot worse), perhaps more Americans will better value the system which is already in place. It's slow, and it lurches and creaks along, but it does settle important issues over time.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
17-09-2017, 09:06 PM
We shall see. If left to carry on, it seems it will spin out of control.

This is why I speak up. People seem to be defeated and just complain as if they cannot affect the situation. I feel they should act if they care. With all the complaints it seems they do care. Caring alone is not enough. One must act.

I see this all though history.

Banjo.
17-09-2017, 10:27 PM
(17-09-2017 03:50 PM)Banjo Wrote:  What do you suggest Mordant? I am very concerned. Hence my speaking this way.

As for the tweets. I see them as fodder for the ignorant. Tweets distract the mob from what may be happening behind the curtain they provide. If the tweets are meaningless, than what may lurk behind is a terrible concern.

I really hope you guys can do something. Mordant, you seem to have given up hope.

Is it really that far gone?
I thought long and hard before replying to this.

It's my view that it IS that far gone -- and that dysfunctional.

I don't believe I'm going to die in the same sort of country I was born in.

If it were JUST the political polarization and dysfunction, or JUST the anti-science folks making up things about reality to suit their fancy, maybe. But both together, combined with the most corrupt and incompetent and quite possibly treasonous administration in history ... I don't see a way out with a happy ending. I hope I'm terribly wrong about that.

That isn't to say that I'm not going to do ANYTHING about it anymore. I'm casting about for something actionable. But ... for example, my local congressman is Tom Reid, who is very high up in the Trump administration, whose wife runs a medical billing company with a vested interest in keeping our health care system dysfunctional. But my upstate New York congressional district, apart from a couple of urban areas, is very conservative and there are a half dozen democrats, half of them neophytes and a couple of them typical elitists, who will expend their resources duking it out with each other and then end up with something like four months to pull together a campaign against a very hard to beat and entrenched incumbent. One of the dems is even an actor who makes half his public appearances imitating Mark Twain. What are the odds that volunteering for any one of them will move the needle? About all you can say is that Reid has had some uncomfortable town halls since the election, particularly during the health care debate, which might influence him a bit ... if he had a soul and gave a damn.

So no I'm not optimistic. Sanders was probably the least flawed presidential candidate in at least a couple of generations and Clinton got the nomination anyway. Clinton was a soulless grifter but competent at least, yet lost to a morally (and financially!) bankrupt sociopathic mobster who is doing his damndest to get us into a second Korean war, possibly nuclear, among dozens of other sucking horrors. The democratic party is in disarray and engaging in internecine warfare. They can't figure out what their message is which doesn't bode well for the mid term elections, much less 2020. The slogan they came up with after their defeat, and I kid you not, is "A Better Deal". Good luck with THAT little bit of inspiration.

Sander's single payer health care bill, which even he admits won't pass in this Congress, has garnered 16 co-sponsors, up from zero a couple of years ago, which some take as heartening. But his bill as written avoids the issue of how to pay for it, which means it costs nothing to support the bill in its present form and it's all upside -- it makes you seem progressive, too. Look for all the people (Booker, Harris, etc) who never supported single payer before, to change their tune again when their election campaigns are underway and people want specifics.

The rapid-fire pace of Trump's "deconstruction of the administrative state" has left people exhausted and paralyzed. Some days, just a single news cycle brings a half dozen action items that need protesting or resistance or lawsuits of some kind or other. It's near impossible to keep up with. Fatigue is setting in. Where do you even begin? Trump hasn't even appointed most of the people needed to properly run his administration. He's bored with governance. He wants to stir the pot and be the center of attention, and he doesn't give a whit whether it's positive or not. He wants to make deals for himself and his cronies. He does so many things that Just Are Not Done that you have trouble getting your mind around it, much less Doing Anything about it.

So ... sorry to say it, yes I'm exhausted, demoralized, and deeply pessimistic, even afraid for my country.

If I weren't old and tied down in a half dozen ways, I'd be giving serious thought to getting out of this sinking ship and moving somewhere else in the world where I could shake the dust of this place off my feet in disgust. Unfortunately, much of the rest of the West has been succumbing to the same or similar sorts of madness, and the American economy, when it eventually tanks, will take many others down with it.

I guess I thought that humanist, egalitarian, inclusive sentiments had reached some sort of tipping point in the world and I think the hardest part of all this for me is the realization that the knuckle-draggers who just want to watch the world burn if necessary to keep their world stridently religious, unbridledly corporatist, heterosexual and conformant and above all divided are actually getting their way. In fact to some extent, their wet dreams.

So yeah the impulse to just withdraw from it all is rather intense. Maybe even necessary. I have not been this stressed out in a long time. During my life, I have had to totally reinvent myself multiple times, what with my deconversion, the untimely deaths of my wife and son and brother, and various other clusterfucks, but the one constant that I could count on through it all were the "givens" of my comically flawed but beloved homeland. It always felt like there were multiple layers of padding between myself as a citizen and the worst excesses of government and the vagaries of world markets, but that is now starting to feel like a very tenuous and rapidly disintegrating safety net, even though personally I have, by a hair, probably gotten myself out of the rapidly vanishing middle class into the lowest echelons of the upper class. For the first time in my life I'm wondering about things like whether I should own a generator and maybe add a second inverter to my solar system and stock some canned food in the cellar.

And I don't think it's an overreaction. People who think that this too shall pass are, I think, naive and don't understand what is blatantly and truly different this time around. No one person and no one people has infinite luck and can do infinite stupid things before something has to give.

I do not (yet) think we are heading for cancelled elections or fascist dictatorship or a military coup or some sort of dystopia. It's more likely we just continue our long slide into irrelevance, maybe with a series of uncomfortable financial meltdowns. But the fact that people are even entertaining certain possibilites is un-fucking-believable. Someone felt obliged recently to do a survey to see how many Americans thought it would be a good idea to postpone the next presidential election if it's felt the Russians are influencing things, until we can sort that out. A slim majority actually said YES. This is the kind of ignorance and foolhardiness we now exhibit as a people.

May dog help us all.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
17-09-2017, 11:42 PM
Bloody hell.

Geez guys. I really wish you luck. And as a consequence, the rest of us too.

Thanks mate.

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post