Trump Impeachment on Day One?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2016, 06:26 AM
Trump Impeachment on Day One?
Trump University lawsuits settled:

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman has announced that Donald J. Trump has agreed to pay $25 million to settle three lawsuits which charged that he had misrepresented the nature and value of real estate courses offered by Trump University. The settlement includes payment of $21 million to settle two California class-action suits and $4 million to New York State to be used to (a) reimburse former students who were not parties to the class-action suits and (b) if funds remain, to pay up to $1 million for costs and/or penalties for Trump University's failure to obtain a license from the New York's Education Department. Trump admitted no liability, but Schneiderman’s press release minced no words:

——In 2013, my office sued Donald Trump for swindling thousands of innocent Americans out of ​millions of dollars through a scheme known as Trump University. Donald Trump fought us every step of the way, filing baseless charges and fruitless appeals and refusing to settle for even modest amounts of compensation for the victims of his phony university. Today, that all changes. Today's $25 million settlement agreement is a stunning reversal by Donald Trump and a major victory for the over 6,000 victims of his fraudulent university.

The more complete story is HERE.

My probably oversimplified/irrelevant questions are these: Is criminal fraud, deception, and obtaining money by illegal means—if committed by a (presumptive) POTUS—sufficient grounds for impeachment on the first day of his presidency? I admit to not understanding fully the US impeachment process (in Australia, the Queen's representative, the Governor-General is the only person or entity that can effectively "fire" the Prime Minister= US president). Or a majority "no-confidence" vote by his party can oust him as their leader, and thus by default as Prime Minister of the country.

Considering the US House of Representatives is 100% filled by Republicans, could they hypothetically pass by absolute majority a motion of no-confidence in Trump, and effectively oust him as POTUS?

—Or are my questions without any merit? Or wishful thinking LOL.

Huh

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
23-11-2016, 06:32 AM
RE: Trump Impeachment on Day One?
Impeachment = arraignment, not being found guilty and being removed from office. The House moves for impeachment and if it passes the Senate holds a trial.

So, yes, he could be impeached on the first day, but not removed from office until the trial is completed and he's found guilty.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
23-11-2016, 08:10 AM
Also, neither the House nor the Senate is "100% Republican". They both have Republican majorities, though. It's an interesting question whether this would make them more or less likely to take action against Trump.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
23-11-2016, 08:45 AM
Here's hoping Drinking Beverage

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
23-11-2016, 08:50 AM
Be careful what you wish for.

If impeached, look who is next in line.

No

[+] 13 users Like DLJ's post
23-11-2016, 08:53 AM
(23-11-2016 08:10 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Also, neither the House nor the Senate is "100% Republican". They both have Republican majorities, though. It's an interesting question whether this would make them more or less likely to take action against Trump.

And they are too partisan in their current configuration for impeachment to be even a remote possibility. Trump was right about shooting someone on Times Square and getting away with it.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
23-11-2016, 09:05 AM
(23-11-2016 08:45 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Here's hoping Drinking Beverage
You want Mike "AC/DC for the LGBT" Pence to become president? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
23-11-2016, 09:14 AM
(23-11-2016 08:53 AM)tomilay Wrote:  
(23-11-2016 08:10 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Also, neither the House nor the Senate is "100% Republican". They both have Republican majorities, though. It's an interesting question whether this would make them more or less likely to take action against Trump.

And they are too partisan in their current configuration for impeachment to be even a remote possibility. Trump was right about shooting someone on Times Square and getting away with it.

Remember that Trump pissed off a lot of Republicans during his campaign. Some of them -- especially the Christian fundie types -- would probably love to see him gone and Pence taking over. For the same reason, Democrats in Congress might be very reluctant to take any action that might result in Trump being replaced by Pence. As much as I hate Trump, if he goes we get Pence, and that would be worse.

Back when Bill Clinton was being impeached, a Republican friend of mine was rubbing his hands together in glee -- "He's done." I couldn't understand why he was so happy about that. "Are you sure you want moderate Bill Clinton to be replaced by liberal Al Gore?" Same thing here.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
23-11-2016, 09:16 AM
(23-11-2016 09:05 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(23-11-2016 08:45 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Here's hoping Drinking Beverage
You want Mike "AC/DC for the LGBT" Pence to become president? Consider

Good point. NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
23-11-2016, 09:18 AM
(23-11-2016 08:50 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Be careful what you wish for.

If impeached, look who is next in line.

No

^^ So much this.
Right now Trump is a loose cannon and we don't exactly know what he will or will not do.
Pence on the other hand is an evangelical nightmare.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post