Trump Supporter Advocates Internment Camps

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2016, 02:55 PM
RE: Trump Supporter Advocates Internment Camps
(17-11-2016 02:49 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-11-2016 02:43 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I see. I'm somewhere in the middle on this. I don't believe people should be refused service for being gay. But I do draw the line with forcing someone to physically be a part of it. For example, if a gay couple goes into a bakery and orders a cake for their wedding, the bakery should bake the cake. But I disagree with going any further. They shouldn't be forced to deliver it, set up, attend, serve it etc. I can't see the supreme court upholding this particular legislation. Then again it depends on Trump's supreme court picks.

Thanks

To your first point about setting up the wedding cake, well depending on how eleborate the cake is, it's usually don't by the bakery. It's part of the price.

And to the second point. First the law goes into effect and then someone does that, and someone else challenges the law. It doesn't just immediately go to the Supreme Court. In fact that can take a long time.

And in case he (LDH) missed it, any Supreme Court appointees during Trump's term are just about guaranteed to be the types who would uphold something like this. There could be as many as 3 new right-wing extremist wackos on the court by the time this gets there.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
17-11-2016, 02:59 PM
The only thing we can hope is that the senate falls under Democratic party control in two years. Because I'm not confident there are enough decent republican senators willing to vote against the party line.

Sadcryface

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-11-2016, 03:00 PM
(17-11-2016 02:59 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The only thing we can hope is that the senate falls under Democratic party control in two years. Because I'm not confident there are enough decent republican senators willing to vote against the party line.

Sadcryface

And they especially won't have the balls to do the right thing when they're trying to pander to bigoted fucks like LDH

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
17-11-2016, 03:03 PM
(17-11-2016 02:59 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The only thing we can hope is that the senate falls under Democratic party control in two years. Because I'm not confident there are enough decent republican senators willing to vote against the party line.

Sadcryface

They need 60 votes to cut off debate on SCOTUS nominees. ... At least for now.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
17-11-2016, 03:03 PM
(17-11-2016 03:00 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  

Sadcryface

And they especially won't have the balls to do the right thing when they're trying to pander to bigoted fucks like LDH

I don't blame them for that. They truly believe that if you're a registered republican you're instantly down with whatever they wish to do.

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-11-2016, 03:04 PM
(17-11-2016 03:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Sadcryface

Yeah, I know and there's a way around that I gathered. They can change the rules.

17-11-2016, 03:07 PM
(17-11-2016 03:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Sadcryface

What exactly does that mean, though? If the 52 Republicans are unanimously determined to ram through some extremist wacko, can the Dems hold that up indefinitely, or just delay it for a while? Do they need 60 "yes" votes to confirm the appointment, or simply a majority?
17-11-2016, 03:14 PM
(17-11-2016 03:04 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-11-2016 03:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  They need 60 votes to cut off debate on SCOTUS nominees. ... At least for now.

Yeah, I know and there's a way around that I gathered. They can change the rules.

McConnell won't go nuke. But he's old and gonna die.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
17-11-2016, 03:14 PM
(17-11-2016 03:07 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(17-11-2016 03:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  They need 60 votes to cut off debate on SCOTUS nominees. ... At least for now.

What exactly does that mean, though? If the 52 Republicans are unanimously determined to ram through some extremist wacko, can the Dems hold that up indefinitely, or just delay it for a while? Do they need 60 "yes" votes to confirm the appointment, or simply a majority?

There is a clause that could allow them to change the rules. So they would just need a simple majority.

17-11-2016, 03:15 PM
(17-11-2016 03:07 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  

My read is simple majority to confirm after the 60 votes to cut off debate.