Trump administration opens up police departments to get military gear

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2017, 07:02 AM
RE: Trump administration opens up police departments to get military gear
(29-08-2017 06:59 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(29-08-2017 06:01 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The Trump administration has rescinded the Obama ban on civilian police departments from getting surplus military gear including tracked and armored vehicles and grenade launchers.

I dunno.

I can see them having the good military grade body armor, but do they really need a tank???

I suppose it's the thought of posse comitatus that gets me - in that the government is not allowed to use the army on our on population. At some point, when you stick enough military hardware on a cop, he starts to look like a soldier.......

I have said it before - he wants a police state.

But if they look like soldiers, you're in a military state.

To be in s police state, they should look like police.

Smartass

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
29-08-2017, 08:52 AM
(29-08-2017 06:28 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Try using real words instead of catchphrases and tired platitudes eh?

If somebody has read what you post, word for word ad nauseum all over the Internet they will likely ignore any valid points you may have to make.

" people, wake up" translates to " you can quit listening now"

Intent - constructive criticism, not a slam.

How ironic.
29-08-2017, 12:28 PM
(29-08-2017 06:01 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The Trump administration has rescinded the Obama ban on civilian police departments from getting surplus military gear including tracked and armored vehicles and grenade launchers.

I dunno.

I can see them having the good military grade body armor, but do they really need a tank???

I suppose it's the thought of posse comitatus that gets me - in that the government is not allowed to use the army on our on population. At some point, when you stick enough military hardware on a cop, he starts to look like a soldier.......

They're already looking like soldiers in some areas. I'm all for keeping police safe, but they need to do more to reach out to the communities they're supposed to be protecting.

The police's job is to protect the communities they serve in. Not to get away with murder. Not to harass citizens.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

29-08-2017, 12:37 PM
According to data posted on this forum a person has a 1/110,000,000 chance of being killed by police on any given day in the US. That's for all reasons.

As for looking like soldiers, how often do cops need tactical gear? It's not comfortable and it's clumsy when riding in cars. And how many officers in a force actually have that gear?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-08-2017, 01:00 PM
(29-08-2017 12:28 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

I dunno.

They're already looking like soldiers in some areas. I'm all for keeping police safe, but they need to do more to reach out to the communities they're supposed to be protecting.

The police's job is to protect the communities they serve in. Not to get away with murder. Not to harass citizens.

Funny how the GOP hypocrites were screaming about an over militarized police force when Obama was president.

I happen to agree back then and now. I also agree we need police too. But this is the con the far right falls for from the weapons industry and the NRA. They love the mistrust and fear between cops and society, blacks and whites, that way gun makers get to sell to both cops and society. Marketing fear is profitable.

Same con Daffy used to pit Foghorn against the beagle. Create a needless problem then shout, "You better look out for the other guy!" then offer up a solution that perpetuates more problems.

For once I am with Rand Paul who is against more military style weapons for police. But maybe he should have thought of that decades ago and stop supporting the profit protecting lobby NRA.

I think we need more investment in community policing, officers who actually live where they work. I think we need more deescalation training. More funding for non lethal containment. But equally livable wages for all urban, suburban and rural workers. More economic stability means less instability.

And no, please anyone responding do not say stupid shit like I want to ban every single firearm.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
29-08-2017, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2017 01:54 PM by BikerDude.)
(29-08-2017 01:00 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(29-08-2017 12:28 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  They're already looking like soldiers in some areas. I'm all for keeping police safe, but they need to do more to reach out to the communities they're supposed to be protecting.

Funny how the GOP hypocrites were screaming about an over militarized police force when Obama was president.

I happen to agree back then and now. I also agree we need police too. But this is the con the far right falls for from the weapons industry and the NRA. They love the mistrust and fear between cops and society, blacks and whites, that way gun makers get to sell to both cops and society. Marketing fear is profitable.

Same con Daffy used to pit Foghorn against the beagle. Create a needless problem then shout, "You better look out for the other guy!" then offer up a solution that perpetuates more problems.

For once I am with Rand Paul who is against more military style weapons for police. But maybe he should have thought of that decades ago and stop supporting the profit protecting lobby NRA.

I think we need more investment in community policing, officers who actually live where they work. I think we need more deescalation training. More funding for non lethal containment. But equally livable wages for all urban, suburban and rural workers. More economic stability means less instability.

And no, please anyone responding do not say stupid shit like I want to ban every single firearm.

Wow.
When we hear "The Trump administration has rescinded the Obama ban on civilian police departments from getting surplus military gear including tracked and armored vehicles and grenade launchers" this is the response?
Maybe we should schedule some sensitivity training for the cops ha?
I'm thinking you may be missing the point.
Maybe if we make them ashamed of themselves they will see the light.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
29-08-2017, 02:04 PM
(29-08-2017 01:37 PM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(29-08-2017 01:00 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Funny how the GOP hypocrites were screaming about an over militarized police force when Obama was president.

Wow.
When we hear "The Trump administration has rescinded the Obama ban on civilian police departments from getting surplus military gear including tracked and armored vehicles and grenade launchers" this is the response?
Maybe we should schedule some sensitivity training for the cops ha?
I'm thinking you may be missing the point.
Maybe if we make them ashamed of themselves they will see the light.
Or the good ones will quit and we'll be left with the ones impervious to criticism. That would be great, wouldn't it? Then the 'net would really have something to whinge about.