Trump agreed to debate Bernie!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2016, 01:43 AM
RE: Trump agreed to debate Bernie!
(28-05-2016 01:37 AM)Vosur Wrote:  That's entirely irrelevant to what I said because I never claimed that you shouldn't hold him to a higher standard. I simply pointed out the irony of people criticizing someone for using childish insults while using childish insults themselves.

irony
noun
A state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often wryly amusing as a result
Source: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defini...lish/irony

I agree, your statement that criticizing a person supposedly held to higher standards, while using the non-Presidential lower standards ourselves, is ironic when expressed as if it is a problem.

There is no reason we should not ridicule the man for the ridiculous things about him: his hair, his bluster, and anything else that strikes us as silly about the man, overall. We are not personalities suited to holding a high office, and we have never pretended otherwise. It is ironic that you think we should hold ourselves to a Presidential standard before we can criticize him for failure to hold himself to that standard.

I would not expect any American with a knowledge of this country's political history to express such a ridiculous sentiment, and find it wryly amusing that you find it to be an issue.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
28-05-2016, 01:53 AM
(28-05-2016 01:43 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 01:37 AM)Vosur Wrote:  That's entirely irrelevant to what I said because I never claimed that you shouldn't hold him to a higher standard. I simply pointed out the irony of people criticizing someone for using childish insults while using childish insults themselves.

irony
noun
A state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often wryly amusing as a result
Source: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defini...lish/irony

I agree, your statement that criticizing a person supposedly held to higher standards, while using the non-Presidential lower standards ourselves, is ironic when expressed as if it is a problem.

There is no reason we should not ridicule the man for the ridiculous things about him: his hair, his bluster, and anything else that strikes us as silly about the man, overall. We are not personalities suited to holding a high office, and we have never pretended otherwise. It is ironic that you think we should hold ourselves to a Presidential standard before we can criticize him for failure to hold himself to that standard.

I would not expect any American with a knowledge of this country's political history to express such a ridiculous sentiment, and find it wryly amusing that you find it to be an issue.
First, you're putting words in my mouth again. I never claimed that you have to hold yourself to the same standard as the person you're criticizing. After all, I didn't call their actions hypocritical, but ironic. Do you understand the difference between the two?

Second, it's very telling to me that you refer to the standard of not using childish insults as a "Presidential standard" rather than an "adult standard." It says more about you than you could ever imagine.

Third, I'm not an American.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
28-05-2016, 08:35 AM
(27-05-2016 11:24 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I don't understand the rationale behind this move. Why did he agree to a debate in the first place if he wasn't actually planning on showing up? The only thing that accomplishes is to make him look like a coward.

Those who have paid attention knew this about him already. Like any bully, he doesn't want a fight, he wants a victim.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
28-05-2016, 08:42 AM
(28-05-2016 01:24 AM)Vosur Wrote:  You don't win the Republican nomination against 17 other candidates who spent several hundred million dollars in attack ads against him by being irrational. You don't get billions of dollars in free advertising from the media by being irrational.

You can, and do, get exactly those results by being irrational as well as rational.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
28-05-2016, 09:50 AM
(28-05-2016 01:24 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 01:01 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The fuck any of that have to do with my question? Oh, I'm also a lifelong registered Republican.
That may be so, but asking me what makes me think Trump is rational makes you sound like a liberal teenager who's trying to be edgy all the same. He's obviously rational. You don't become a billionaire in the real estate business by being irrational. You don't win the Republican nomination against 17 other candidates who spent several hundred million dollars in attack ads against him by being irrational. You don't get billions of dollars in free advertising from the media by being irrational. He clearly knows what he's doing. The whole John Miller controversy, for instance, turned out to be a calculated move to get more media attention. How do we know that? Because the only person other than Trump who owned a copy of that tape went on live TV to say that she lost it decades ago.

None of this is to say that he would make a good president, but this delusional mantra that all of his accomplishments are due to dumb luck rather than skill has got to stop. While I'm at it, I have to point out something else. I find it hilarious that the people who are criticizing Trump for his childish insults here are the same people who are attacking him with kindergarten insults like "Drumpf" or "Haha, look at his tiny hands." The irony of their actions is entirely lost on them.

Delusional mantra... Consider

What has Trump given us to work with? What policy proposals has he put forth that are even worth paying attention to other than being horrified by?

His entire shtick is blowhard and rhetoric, and you may be right about him being smarter than we give him credit for because so far it has worked like a charm for his campaign. But that says much more about the right wing in America than it does about the "libtards" ability to find anything more substantial to attack him for. There's just not anything there but tiny hands, orange hair and words, great words, the best words.

He's the male equivalent to Sarah Palin. She's rich as fuck now too. Famous to boot. She must be a genius just like him.

You give far too much credit to financial success in this country, do I have to bring up the Kardashians? Shit, there's an idea. I bet if Donald ran with Kim for VP they'd take it by a landslide.

I need a drink...

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
28-05-2016, 10:17 AM
(28-05-2016 09:50 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 01:24 AM)Vosur Wrote:  That may be so, but asking me what makes me think Trump is rational makes you sound like a liberal teenager who's trying to be edgy all the same. He's obviously rational. You don't become a billionaire in the real estate business by being irrational. You don't win the Republican nomination against 17 other candidates who spent several hundred million dollars in attack ads against him by being irrational. You don't get billions of dollars in free advertising from the media by being irrational. He clearly knows what he's doing. The whole John Miller controversy, for instance, turned out to be a calculated move to get more media attention. How do we know that? Because the only person other than Trump who owned a copy of that tape went on live TV to say that she lost it decades ago.

None of this is to say that he would make a good president, but this delusional mantra that all of his accomplishments are due to dumb luck rather than skill has got to stop. While I'm at it, I have to point out something else. I find it hilarious that the people who are criticizing Trump for his childish insults here are the same people who are attacking him with kindergarten insults like "Drumpf" or "Haha, look at his tiny hands." The irony of their actions is entirely lost on them.

Delusional mantra... Consider

What has Trump given us to work with? What policy proposals has he put forth that are even worth paying attention to other than being horrified by?

His entire shtick is blowhard and rhetoric, and you may be right about him being smarter than we give him credit for because so far it has worked like a charm for his campaign. But that says much more about the right wing in America than it does about the "libtards" ability to find anything more substantial to attack him for. There's just not anything there but tiny hands, orange hair and words, great words, the best words.
Give me a break. Thumpalumpacus is the one person who bothered to criticize his policies instead of attacking him on his looks. Do you actually know what his policies are? You should read them, maybe you'll find that you actually agree with some of them.

(28-05-2016 09:50 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  He's the male equivalent to Sarah Palin. She's rich as fuck now too. Famous to boot. She must be a genius just like him.

You give far too much credit to financial success in this country, do I have to bring up the Kardashians? Shit, there's an idea. I bet if Donald ran with Kim for VP they'd take it by a landslide.

I need a drink...
Are you listening to yourself? You think becoming rich in the real estate business is comparable to becoming rich in the reality TV business?

28-05-2016, 10:18 AM
(28-05-2016 10:17 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 09:50 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Delusional mantra... Consider

Give me a break. Thumpalumpacus is the one person who bothered to criticize his policies instead of attacking him on his looks. Do you actually know what his policies are? You should read them, maybe you'll find that you actually agree with some of them.

(28-05-2016 09:50 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  He's the male equivalent to Sarah Palin. She's rich as fuck now too. Famous to boot. She must be a genius just like him.

I need a drink...
Are you listening to yourself? You think becoming rich in the real estate business is comparable to becoming rich in the reality TV business?

Trump became rich because his Daddy gave him millions. He lost tons of money in real estate.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
28-05-2016, 10:24 AM
(28-05-2016 10:18 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Trump became rich because his Daddy gave him millions. He lost tons of money in real estate.
You'll have to forgive me if I don't take anything you say on this subject seriously after that one time you claimed that Trump's net worth would be triple what it is today if he had invested his money in the stock market. You ruined your credibility with that.

28-05-2016, 10:31 AM
(28-05-2016 10:24 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 10:18 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Trump became rich because his Daddy gave him millions. He lost tons of money in real estate.
You'll have to forgive me if I don't take anything you say on this subject seriously after that one time you claimed that Trump's net worth would be triple what it is today if he had invested his money in the stock market. You ruined your credibility with that.

Yes I'm the one that has ruined his reputation on Trump.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
28-05-2016, 11:04 AM
(28-05-2016 10:31 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Yes I'm the one that has ruined his reputation on Trump.
You have a point. I admit that I made a mistake as well, but two wrongs don't make a right. I just don't understand why people make up stuff about him when there are so many legitimate issues to attack him on. His claim that global warming is a hoax invented by the Chinese, his claim that vaccines cause autism, his claim that videogames are responsible for causing violence in kids, his claim that the military needs to be bigger and stronger when the US is already spending more money on the military than the next 15 countries combined, his claim that women should be punished for getting an abortion... I could go on all day. Look where character assassination and dishonest reporting from the media has brought us today. He wrapped up his party's nomination even before Hillary did and now she's dropping in the polls against him like a stone. Clearly what people have been doing so far isn't working and a change of strategy is needed. Bernie had a pretty good shot of hammering Trump on his policy weakness in a debate against him, but then Trump just had to go back on his word on that.

[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post