Trump and religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2016, 07:17 AM
Trump and religion
I will be clear from the start that I do not like, trust, or find any redeeming qualities in this man.

What blows me away is the evangelical and religious people voting for him. His actions and words are the opposite of what supposed Christianity stands for, and he's not even religious! Of course he SAYS he is now, but it's a sham - can't they see right through it?

This is why I cannot take most pious people seriously. My feeling is they are full of hate for some group (women, gays, etc.) or interest (liberals, environmentalists) and they disguise this in their cloak of religion. They convince themselves the republican candidate is a true Christian, and they blindly vote for him.

Huh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
26-09-2016, 07:25 AM
RE: Trump and religion
The Mormons are on to him. ‘Two Corinthians 3:17. That’s the whole ballgame, right?’ should've been a dead give away.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
26-09-2016, 07:35 AM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2016 07:39 AM by Tomasia.)
(26-09-2016 07:17 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I will be clear from the start that I do not like, trust, or find any redeeming qualities in this man.

What blows me away is the evangelical and religious people voting for him. His actions and words are the opposite of what supposed Christianity stands for, and he's not even religious! Of course he SAYS he is now, but it's a sham - can't they see right through it?

This is why I cannot take most pious people seriously. My feeling is they are full of hate for some group (women, gays, etc.) or interest (liberals, environmentalists) and they disguise this in their cloak of religion. They convince themselves the republican candidate is a true Christian, and they blindly vote for him.

Huh

I don't know of many Christians who consider Trump a true christian, whether they support his candidacy or not. He has little less than half the evangelical vote last I checked, and probably only fraction of those that support him would consider him a true representative of the Christian faith, whether they support his presidency or not.

Trump did have the gay billionaire, Peter Theil speak at the republican convention, who announced that he was proud to be gay, and to not let the left reduce republicans to identify politics, and was met with wild applause.

Trump candidacy unlike any other has done more to make religion irrelevant to the republican party than any other, he's a religious illiterate, can't name a single verse that he likes, doesn't place much stock in the idea of forgiveness, and is not much of church attender, and republicans are fine with that. His lack of religion is not much of an issue for them, but he seems to be more appealing for a variety of other reasons, than his alternative. He's more of a sign of the death of christianity in the American political sphere, than marking it's relevance.

It was somewhat similar with Romney, his mormon faith, which many would of considered not-christian, was somewhat irrelevant. But that fact that he stood with them on variety of republican policy matters.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
26-09-2016, 09:10 AM
You could be a mass-murdering horse-rapist, but as long as you promise to stick it to the brown man the double-knot right will vote for you, lick your nuts, and call it ice-cream.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 6 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
26-09-2016, 09:25 AM
They don't care about Trump's religion. They care only about his Supreme Court picks. And they're right to do so, because SCOTUS decisions are the most effective way for vicious Christians to shore up their privilege.

However, they're miscalculating badly. If Trump is elected (shudder), there is zero evidence, given his past history, that he is going to feel obligated to keep any of his promises.
[+] 5 users Like julep's post
26-09-2016, 10:38 PM
Trump may or may not be religious. Honestly, I doubt his sincerity about anything. But the deal is that he's gonna do everything he can to protect the religious right to maintain their faith in him. He's going to pander to their causes, their bigotry, and their scientific denialism if it's convenient to him. It's worked so far.
[+] 3 users Like ViolexTV's post
27-09-2016, 12:00 AM
In the end Trump only has one god and it's name is Donald Trump

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 4 users Like OrdoSkeptica's post
27-09-2016, 08:56 AM
I could care less about trumps religious views. It's his antiscience, creationist, VP pick that worries me.
27-09-2016, 09:18 AM
(27-09-2016 08:56 AM)OceanTherapist Wrote:  I could care less about trumps religious views. It's his antiscience, creationist, VP pick that worries me.

Uh... I think you mean you couldn't care less? Blink

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
27-09-2016, 09:32 AM
(27-09-2016 09:18 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(27-09-2016 08:56 AM)OceanTherapist Wrote:  I could care less about trumps religious views. It's his antiscience, creationist, VP pick that worries me.

Uh... I think you mean you couldn't care less? Blink
Original sort of missing a question mark maybe.

"I could care less about this?"

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.