Trump's Immigration Ban

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2017, 12:59 PM
RE: Trump's Immigration Ban
(31-01-2017 12:45 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(31-01-2017 11:50 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I've heard this before about Carter, but also, he inherited a HUGE fucking mess that no one was going to fix in just one term -- and because of that mess he was guaranteed to be a one term president. I still believe Carter (and history has softened about him too) was one of the better presidents we've had in very long time.

Going further (it's sorta off topic) Reagan had nothing to do with the Iran hostages being freed either -- which Carter was vilified for. That was all Carter and he was humble about it, he didn't make a fuss when they were released while Reagan was being sworn in -- it was a simple statement (he practically cried). He was just happy the crisis was over and relieved they were coming home.

I think the hostage crisis was what did him in. If they had been released before the election, he might have won a second term, and history would have been different. I think he also had the same problem as Obama -- an inability to get much done because Congress fought him every step of the way. In both cases, I think the blame can be shared. Congress refused to compromise, but so did Carter and Obama.

Iran refused. They also refused to release the hostages until he left office. Reagan did a fine job of making it seem like it was Carter's fault and there was that failed rescue attempt too that didn't really help.

But Iran's rumbling began before Carter was president -- The Shaw was in trouble during the Ford Administration -- maybe part of the Nixon.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2017, 01:01 PM
Make Persia great again.

[Image: cyrus_portrait.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
31-01-2017, 01:15 PM
(31-01-2017 12:47 PM)Impulse Wrote:  This thread needs some cheer:

Hitting Back At Trump's Executive Order, Starbucks CEO Vows To Hire 10,000 Refugees

Amazon Backs Suit Opposing Trump Immigration Executive Order, CEO Jeff Bezos Says

Tech Executives Fiercely Criticize Trump Immigration Order (Google, Twitter, Facebook, Apple)

Nike CEO Blasts Trump Executive Order Targeting Muslims, Refugees

Goldman Sachs CEO: Trump’s Executive Order on Immigration ‘Not a Policy We Support’

Netflix CEO: ‘Trump’s actions are so un-American it pains us all’

Big Grin

How is that cheer?

Of course multinationals and their bankers want to support the relocation of low-pay workers.

It drives down wages and weakens unions.

At least, in the short term.

Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
31-01-2017, 01:40 PM
(31-01-2017 01:15 PM)DLJ Wrote:  How is that cheer?

Of course multinationals and their bankers want to support the relocation of low-pay workers.

Dodgy
That's nothing new. So it's not an issue that Trump has added (still worth addressing though). But Trump's executive order is an additional issue and these companies are taking stands against it. Honestly, I would have expected large corporations to mostly support, or at least remain silent about, Trump's policies because large corporations tend to lean Republican. So I'm happy to see that's not the case with these ones. Maybe it's not for the best of reasons on their part (although many of their stated reasons sound more noble than the ones you suggested), but if it helps bring down this ban and send Trump a message that he won't be allowed to do just anything that he feels like on a whim, then it's cheery indeed. Yes

Ok now, no more raining on the parade. There's enough rain around here. Dodgy
Wink

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
31-01-2017, 01:55 PM
(31-01-2017 01:40 PM)Impulse Wrote:  ...
Wink

Nah! The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine (Anymore).

But talking of which, some good news is that Scott Walker's gerrymandering appeal has been rejected in Wisconsin.

Lesson: Never (s)elect a showman into office.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
31-01-2017, 01:57 PM
(31-01-2017 01:15 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(31-01-2017 12:47 PM)Impulse Wrote:  This thread needs some cheer:

Hitting Back At Trump's Executive Order, Starbucks CEO Vows To Hire 10,000 Refugees

Amazon Backs Suit Opposing Trump Immigration Executive Order, CEO Jeff Bezos Says

Tech Executives Fiercely Criticize Trump Immigration Order (Google, Twitter, Facebook, Apple)

Nike CEO Blasts Trump Executive Order Targeting Muslims, Refugees

Goldman Sachs CEO: Trump’s Executive Order on Immigration ‘Not a Policy We Support’

Netflix CEO: ‘Trump’s actions are so un-American it pains us all’

Big Grin

How is that cheer?

Dodgy

For many of the voted-Obama-twice-but-now-voted-Trump voters that made a difference in this presidential election, free trade and immigration are economic issues for them personally. "It's (still) the economy, stupid". That is why I will predict this this will be another Trump screw up that will not harm him politically--although he cannot afford too many screw ups in execution like this.
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
31-01-2017, 01:57 PM
(30-01-2017 03:21 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(30-01-2017 03:14 PM)JakSiemasz Wrote:  Simply, a bad person cannot make a good president. No

Not really, president isn't supposed to be nice and cuddly. One could be a dick and good president, just like one could be a wonderful human being and shitty president.

Nie. A bad person does not mean nice and cuddly. A bad person possesses character traits and defects that cause/allow the person to act immorally.

Playing chess with pigeons......
31-01-2017, 02:00 PM
(31-01-2017 01:55 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(31-01-2017 01:40 PM)Impulse Wrote:  ...
Wink

Nah! The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine (Anymore).

But talking of which, some good news is that Scott Walker's gerrymandering appeal has been rejected in Wisconsin.

As a Wisconsin resident, I'm pretty happy about that. On the other hand, we can't blame gerrymandering for everything. The voters of Wisconsin have elected Walker himself 3 times (including one recall election), and those were statewide elections where gerrymandering had no effect. WTF were they thinking? He is the local equivalent of Trump.

Nice choice of song (the Walker Brothers? nyuk, nyuk).
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
31-01-2017, 05:15 PM
(31-01-2017 02:00 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(31-01-2017 01:55 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Nah! The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine (Anymore).

As a Wisconsin resident, I'm pretty happy about that. On the other hand, we can't blame gerrymandering for everything. The voters of Wisconsin have elected Walker himself 3 times (including one recall election), and those were statewide elections where gerrymandering had no effect. WTF were they thinking? He is the local equivalent of Trump.

As a WI resident for almost a year and a half now, if my students are to be believed, the reason for him is, "he's keepin' the Democrooks from takin' mah guns". Or so I've heard a variation of several times.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
31-01-2017, 05:29 PM
(31-01-2017 05:15 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(31-01-2017 02:00 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  As a Wisconsin resident, I'm pretty happy about that. On the other hand, we can't blame gerrymandering for everything. The voters of Wisconsin have elected Walker himself 3 times (including one recall election), and those were statewide elections where gerrymandering had no effect. WTF were they thinking? He is the local equivalent of Trump.

As a WI resident for almost a year and a half now, if my students are to be believed, the reason for him is, "he's keepin' the Democrooks from takin' mah guns". Or so I've heard a variation of several times.

As good a reason as any, I guess. I haven't been able to find any better reason for his repeated victories, other than uninspiring opponents -- and maybe Wisconsin really is a red state now.