Trump's first week

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2017, 03:26 AM
RE: Trump's first week
(28-01-2017 10:44 PM)DLJ Wrote:  The State of Oceania. As predicted. Girl_nails

I've been looking at Alt-Google Maps to find out where I will be living after completion of the Master Plan©

I found this fact...

[Image: 1984_orwell_superstate_map__my_interpret...85vi67.png]

... which makes me an Eastasian.

And also this Alternative Fact© which places me in the Disputed Territory:

So now I know less than I did before.

Weeping

So, in my case, it'll literally be everything new is old again, a return to the very same totalitarian childhood. Where are the throes of yesteryear? Or is it schmoes? Who would've thunk it Rolleyes

I swear, I've always been convinced that if no one else, the US for sure would go the Huxleyan way, dystopically speaking, not the Orwellian. Wrong, again Dodgy

(I still don't think things will get as bad as some think, but the US *and*, even more importantly, the planet will be fucked. All that is left to see is how badly and how we'll emerge after all this turmoil is over. In my more hopeful days I do think (or try to) that this is the death rattle of the (current variety) of semi-literate, nationalistic, tribal bigot and their lashing out against a change in the world which cannot be stopped and which their tiny tribalistic "brains" cannot accept. In my less hopeful days... well, let's not go there Rolleyes )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
29-01-2017, 04:29 AM
(29-01-2017 03:26 AM)Vera Wrote:  ...
I swear, I've always been convinced that if no one else, the US for sure would go the Huxleyan way, dystopically speaking, not the Orwellian. Wrong, again Dodgy

(I still don't think things will get as bad as some think, but the US *and*, even more importantly, the planet will be fucked. All that is left to see is how badly and how we'll emerge after all this turmoil is over. In my more hopeful days I do think (or try to) that this is the death rattle of the (current variety) of semi-literate, nationalistic, tribal bigot and their lashing out against a change in the world which cannot be stopped and which their tiny tribalistic "brains" cannot accept. In my less hopeful days... well, let's not go there Rolleyes )

You weren't wrong. One enabled the other.

First the proletariat got desensitised to the propaganda machine through the bombardment of information (radio and TV ads occasionally interrupted by product-placement programming) ... this put them to sleep: Huxley.

Second, deregulation under Clinton permitted the formation of media giants who began to control the framing of the narrative and the privatisation of journalism (high salaries for silence; access is prioritised over truth).

Third, indiscriminate surveillance of all citizens (NSA) and voilĂ ! A police state.

All you need now to complete the Orwellian picture is ...
... incentives to report your friends, neighbours and family members
... a real or imagined Room 101.
e.g. Hell.

Big Brother is not a camera in each home ... it's a state of mind.

But the good news is that the planet will still be here after humanity has destroyed itself.

I'm hoping that the bonobos make it through and 100,000 years from now will have evolved into fucking awesome fucking fuckers.

Imagine trade deals being ratified with an orgy.

Yes

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
29-01-2017, 05:13 AM
(29-01-2017 04:29 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I'm hoping that the bonobos make it through and 100,000 years from now will have evolved into fucking awesome fucking fuckers.

Imagine trade deals being ratified with an orgy.

Yes

I was going to correct you about evolution timeline for the bonobos, since at normal evolutionary speeds 100,000 years is almost nothing; they'd need about 3 million years to naturally evolve from where they are to about where we are, assuming "large brain" selection was going on.

But then I realized the amount of radiation we'll leave behind, as a "gift to the world", when we go out. If they survive, they might well evolve much more rapidly-- maybe in a million years, a bonobo anthropologist will be trying to piece together why there's a layer of Strontium-90 across the million-year-old rock layer all across the earth. Think of the fiction/literature, when they find our few remaining artifacts (only the stone ones; things like concrete and metal and plastic will have long since broken up, rusted, and/or biodegraded) that haven't eroded away. Will future-bonobo religious fanatics deny that human skulls today are bigger than bonobo skulls of today, claiming it is a conspiracy and lie of The Dark Baboon? Will the first guy to find a human skull be humped at the stake?

I'm hoping we don't go the way of the dodo... but I do think that Trump is going to let his crony buddies gut the remainder of the greatest economy on the planet, as they've been doing for the past 30 years, and we'll fall into nearly 3rd world status, being unable to support our military-backed favorable trade/resource treaty enforcements (that's the danger point for war, if we think nukes are our last remaining option and feel desperate enough), and we'll see the rise of China, India, and Brazil as major economic powers in the coming century... let them figure out how to deal with climate change, with the US no longer standing in their way.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
29-01-2017, 05:15 AM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2017 05:42 AM by Vera.)
(29-01-2017 04:29 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Imagine trade deals being ratified with an orgy.

What makes you think they aren't already? Drinking Beverage

And yeah, I might've known that it won't be that simple and what we'd end up with would be some Frankentopia that no one quite imagined Dodgy

And yeah (again ;-)), the planet will survive for sure (well, for a couple more billion years at least), but like I mentioned in another thread, I'm kinda rooting for the survival (preferably accompanied by some fast societal evolving) of the species that gave us this:

(Okay, I might be somewhat obsessed with this opera these days. What can I say - at least my excessively obsessive brain is capable of latching onto good things, as well Rolleyes But it's stunning and exceptionally well recorded with three of my favourite singers no less!)

Now, octopuses as top dogs on the planet will certainly be something worth seeing Yes

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
29-01-2017, 05:31 AM
(28-01-2017 04:33 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  The UK is planning to have the largest protest ever known in London when President Fart comes to visit. They're planning on trying to shut down all of London.

(28-01-2017 04:58 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  We laugh at "protesters" and their temper tantrums.

Embrace it, deal with it, or leave.

Leave London? Already have. No doubt there will be a protest in Edinburgh that I can go to (again).

Or do you mean America? Sorry, I don't plan on going there anyway while Trump is in power.

Not that I will be protesting about Trump so much as this idea of a 'special relationship' which basically means that British prime ministers whore themselves to whoever is POTUS regardless of the consequences. If the politicians realise just how unpopular it is, they'll stop doing it. They'll only realise that if we protest.
29-01-2017, 05:37 AM
(28-01-2017 08:32 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  The "hair" is the controlling lifeform, wearing a poorly-crafted human suit.

My thoughts as well. It explains Thatcher ...

[Image: hair.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like Mathilda's post
29-01-2017, 05:40 AM
(29-01-2017 05:15 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(29-01-2017 04:29 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Imagine trade deals being ratified with an orgy.

What makes you think they aren't already? Drinking Beverage

That would explain Trump's eagerness to "renegotiate" them all.

Good luck scrubbing that mental image away.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
29-01-2017, 05:42 AM
(29-01-2017 05:40 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  That would explain Trump's eagerness to "renegotiate" them all.

Good luck scrubbing that mental image away.

Luckily, my brain is overloaded with crap right now. I'll save this for sunny days (when and if they come along Rolleyes )

29-01-2017, 06:54 AM
(28-01-2017 04:33 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  The UK is planning to have the largest protest ever known in London when President Fart comes to visit.

There's a new petition calling to Prevent Donald Trump from making a State Visit to the United Kingdom.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/171928

The signatures are going up amazingly fast but I doubt Westminster will agree to it. It does mean another debate in parliament though if we get enough.
29-01-2017, 07:06 AM
(28-01-2017 04:58 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  We laugh at "protesters" and their temper tantrums. It solves nothing. It produces nothing.

Republicans are in full control of everything from governor's seats to state legislatures to the congress and soon the courts with 104 federal court appointments to fill.

All this means is that you don't fully understand the mechanics of your own government. Sad really. There are currently 33 Republican governors and 16 Democrat governors, plus one independent—hardly "full" control LOL.

And Republican v. Democrat numbers in Senate; 52-48, and Republican v. Democrat in House of Reps; 241-194. Again, hardly overwhelming control.

BTW, I took it that there were only 94 court judges; one in each Federal district. Is your 104 figure correct?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.