Trump's speech on Hillary Clinton's record

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2016, 08:01 PM
RE: Trump's speech on Hillary Clinton's record
(27-06-2016 05:51 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  My opinion of his claimed expertise is no doubt colored by his views on the Iraq war, which in my mind and many others was a political miscalculation of the first order.
Yeah, as a big fan of Hitchens, it's something that always bothered me about him as well. It's a significant flaw in an otherwise remarkable record of defending the right thing in the face of fierce and more often than not religious opposition.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
27-06-2016, 08:06 PM
(27-06-2016 08:01 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 05:51 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  My opinion of his claimed expertise is no doubt colored by his views on the Iraq war, which in my mind and many others was a political miscalculation of the first order.
Yeah, as a big fan of Hitchens, it's something that always bothered me about him as well. It's a significant flaw in an otherwise remarkable record of defending the right thing in the face of fierce and more often than not religious opposition.

Hitchens supported the wrong war for the right reasons. He was one of the few people that actually meant it when he argued from a humanitarian perspective. He got taken in by some people who used him as a mouthpiece and as someone who was always a contrarian he argued back as hard as he could against any criticism.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 5 users Like Revenant77x's post
28-06-2016, 01:20 AM
(27-06-2016 08:01 PM)Vosur Wrote:  

I'm certainly a big fan of his myself; he's my favorite of the Four Horsemen. i've only read two of his books -- God is Not Great, and Why Orwell Matters -- but both were impressive not only in the thinking that went into them, but also the skill he has as a writer.

Don't get me wrong, even when I disagreed with this or that point of his, I still paid attention to him, because his opinions were thought-out and substantive. But even a schlub like me knew before our 2003 nvasion that it was a colossal blunder. I marched against it in February of that year. Political acumen is not something conferred with a degree. It's a matter of reading people and situations.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post