Trump says: Take their guns away

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2016, 12:11 PM
RE: Trump says: Take their guns away
(19-09-2016 12:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-09-2016 11:33 AM)Dom Wrote:  Yep, and removing guns may prevent a few suicides, but the majority of suicides are well planned and will just use other means.

If only that were the case.
Any rationalization will do when one is desperate to make the numbers look even a tiny bit less horrifying. Facepalm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2016, 01:02 PM
(17-09-2016 11:24 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Obvious to me what he meant.

Liberal politicians call for gun control while surrounding themselves with armed guards and police.

The common person doesn't get armed guards nor do they get police outside of their house 24 hours a day. The common person has live with the chance that they will be assaulted, raped, robbed or murdered. The 2nd amendment lets people defend themselves.

His point: Without her guards she'd be at the mercy of criminals like the rest of us are.

No conspiracy here. Just truth.

The common person doesn't have legions of barely educated, passionately inflamed, economically disadvantaged, gun-toting rednecks shooting at practice targets with their face on them. Hillary does.
Find all posts by this user
19-09-2016, 01:07 PM
(19-09-2016 01:02 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  
(17-09-2016 11:24 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Obvious to me what he meant.

Liberal politicians call for gun control while surrounding themselves with armed guards and police.

The common person doesn't get armed guards nor do they get police outside of their house 24 hours a day. The common person has live with the chance that they will be assaulted, raped, robbed or murdered. The 2nd amendment lets people defend themselves.

His point: Without her guards she'd be at the mercy of criminals like the rest of us are.

No conspiracy here. Just truth.

The common person doesn't have legions of barely educated, passionately inflamed, economically disadvantaged, gun-toting rednecks shooting at practice targets with their face on them. Hillary does.

They also like the "Running N*gg*r" targets.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-09-2016, 02:14 PM
(19-09-2016 12:11 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(19-09-2016 12:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  If only that were the case.
Any rationalization will do when one is desperate to make the numbers look even a tiny bit less horrifying. Facepalm

I am not on about the numbers, I am just interested in the suicide aspect. If I had time I'd try to find a comparison of numbers of suicides in the US versus countries with strict gun control. Although that would be misleading too, since many, many factors play into suicide, such as availability of medical care, per capita occurrence of degenerative terminal illness, financial conditions and, and, and...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
19-09-2016, 02:50 PM
(19-09-2016 02:14 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(19-09-2016 12:11 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Any rationalization will do when one is desperate to make the numbers look even a tiny bit less horrifying. Facepalm

I am not on about the numbers, I am just interested in the suicide aspect. If I had time I'd try to find a comparison of numbers of suicides in the US versus countries with strict gun control. Although that would be misleading too, since many, many factors play into suicide, such as availability of medical care, per capita occurrence of degenerative terminal illness, financial conditions and, and, and...

The study I posted earlier compared firearm availability (as measured by gun ownership rate) vs. suicide rate State by State and found a high correlation while accounting for the various other factors you identified. State by State is probably a better unit for comparison than the US vs. other countries. The authors were careful to point out that "Whether the availability of firearms might increase the rate of attempted suicide is not examined." Introducing gun control would likely just be a confound in a State by State comparison given that guns are legal in all 50 States and all of them are effective for suicide.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
19-09-2016, 03:09 PM
(19-09-2016 02:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-09-2016 02:14 PM)Dom Wrote:  I am not on about the numbers, I am just interested in the suicide aspect. If I had time I'd try to find a comparison of numbers of suicides in the US versus countries with strict gun control. Although that would be misleading too, since many, many factors play into suicide, such as availability of medical care, per capita occurrence of degenerative terminal illness, financial conditions and, and, and...

The study I posted earlier compared firearm availability (as measured by gun ownership rate) vs. suicide rate State by State and found a high correlation while accounting for the various other factors you identified. State by State is probably a better unit for comparison than the US vs. other countries. The authors were careful to point out that "Whether the availability of firearms might increase the rate of attempted suicide is not examined." Introducing gun control would likely just be a confound in a State by State comparison given that guns are legal in all 50 States and all of them are effective for suicide.

I would rather see other countries. Places with a totally different attitude towards guns. The US suicide rates are totally flawed too, because all the suicides committed with opiates are classified as accidental overdoses.

Several people I have known in Germany committed suicide, by a variety of means. None of them guns. So I am just curious there.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
19-09-2016, 03:24 PM
There's a reason people commit suicide with a gun....

Because snorting 20 gallons of lattes doesn't always turn the trick -- even if that is the stereotypical liberal moron's weapon of choice.......

signed

The legions of barely educated, passionately inflamed, economically disadvantaged, gun-toting rednecks shooting at practice targets with Hillary's face on them.
19-09-2016, 03:33 PM
(19-09-2016 03:24 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  There's a reason people commit suicide with a gun....

Because snorting 20 gallons of lattes doesn't always turn the trick -- even if that is the stereotypical liberal moron's weapon of choice.......

signed

The legions of barely educated, passionately inflamed, economically disadvantaged, gun-toting rednecks shooting at practice targets with Hillary's face on them.

Guns are way too messy. Unless you are striving to finally create a bond with the vultures that followed us here from another thread. Tongue

19-09-2016, 03:34 PM
(19-09-2016 03:24 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  There's a reason people commit suicide with a gun....

Because they're not aware that nitrogen will do the trick? Much less traumatic and cleaner.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-09-2016, 03:35 PM
(19-09-2016 03:09 PM)Dom Wrote:  I would rather see other countries. Places with a totally different attitude towards guns.

I've posted some before. Lemme find them again.

(19-09-2016 03:09 PM)Dom Wrote:  The US suicide rates are totally flawed too, because all the suicides committed with opiates are classified as accidental overdoses.

I did not know that.