Trump scares the shit outta me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2015, 12:24 PM
RE: Trump scares the shit outta me
(22-08-2015 12:01 PM)cactus Wrote:  Trump is not a viable candidate. If he wins the primary as a republican, he will be destroyed by Hillary in the general election. The only reason he's doing so relatively well is because of how fragmented the GOP has become.

Exactly. Just ask president Michelle Bachmann or president Rick Santorum. We have not yet seen evidence that as the field narrows, that Trump will pick up supporters among those currently supporting one of 16 other candidates. Trump would have to asuage the concerns of a lot of Republicans before he could become a viable candidate.

The Hillary candidacy, though, keeps looking more and more uncertain over time. It's still hers to lose, but it's getting almost too late for someone more viable to jump in The GOP wants to win, and they pay attention to what the other party has going on. If Sanders were the candidate, I could see the GOP calculate they could go for broke and nominate someone from the fringe of their party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2015, 12:29 PM
I find it very difficult to believe he is a viable candidate. No That he is leading in any poll leaves me gobsmacked. Shocking

But I never saw Romney as one, either. Consider

N.B. My personal incredulity is not an argument. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
22-08-2015, 12:34 PM
(22-08-2015 12:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  N.B. My personal incredulity is not an argument. Drinking Beverage

Yabut, it works so well for the theists and conspiracists...

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
22-08-2015, 12:39 PM
(22-08-2015 12:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  I find it very difficult to believe he is a viable candidate. No That he is leading in any poll leaves me gobsmacked. Shocking

He's not viable.

If the Republican party actually decides to back Trump for the presidential run, they are committing suicide. The only reason that Trump appears to be a frontrunner at the current time is due to the incredible fragmentation of the Republican base, the name-brand recognition factor of having a pseudo-celebrity candidate, and the fact that those responding to the polls are the absolute die-hard Republicans who consider the concept of agreeing with anything the Democrats say worse than murdering their own mothers.

What these hardcore party members think is ultimately irrelevant. Trump's ability to win a presidential election resides solely in his ability to win the minority and civil rights votes, and he cannot do that. He doesn't want to do that. He considers the idea of attempting to do that tantamount to betrayal of his warped vision of America.

Trump is poison to the Republican party, and the more intelligent among their ranks have already begun to realize this. If he gets the party backing, he kills their hopes at a presidential victory, but he has too much money and appeals to too many of their core crazies to just kick him out directly. The only thing they can do is sit back, wait, and hope that he doesn't do too much damage before he burns himself out, because the closer this gets to election time, the more pushback Trump is going to face.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 5 users Like Unbeliever's post
22-08-2015, 12:39 PM
It would be funny if he ran against Hilary.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
22-08-2015, 12:43 PM
As a side note, I find it absolutely hilarious that the Republican party is shoved so far up its own asshole that its current leading candidate is essentially Zachary Comstock.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
22-08-2015, 12:46 PM
(22-08-2015 12:03 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Well that and we have to watch to find out what that hair-like thing on his head really is. Confused

The most disturbing thing about Trump's hair is that it's real. Hobo

#sigh
22-08-2015, 12:48 PM
(22-08-2015 12:39 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Trump is poison to the Republican party, and the more intelligent among their ranks have already begun to realize this. If he gets the party backing, he kills their hopes at a presidential victory, but he has too much money and appeals to too many of their core crazies to just kick him out directly. The only thing they can do is sit back, wait, and hope that he doesn't do too much damage before he burns himself out, because the closer this gets to election time, the more pushback Trump is going to face.

People have been saying much the same thing for 8 years. I am curious to see how hard the tail need wag the dog before the "establishment" tries to do something about the team they've hitched their sled to.

... this is my signature!
22-08-2015, 12:52 PM
(22-08-2015 12:48 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(22-08-2015 12:39 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Trump is poison to the Republican party, and the more intelligent among their ranks have already begun to realize this. If he gets the party backing, he kills their hopes at a presidential victory, but he has too much money and appeals to too many of their core crazies to just kick him out directly. The only thing they can do is sit back, wait, and hope that he doesn't do too much damage before he burns himself out, because the closer this gets to election time, the more pushback Trump is going to face.

People have been saying much the same thing for 8 years. I am curious to see how hard the tail need wag the dog before the "establishment" tries to do something about the team they've hitched their sled to.

Oh, so am I. I'd be even more curious to know what's going through their heads if he does get the party election, because there is absolutely no way Trump could ever take a presidential run.

It's a fair point about the eight years, though. I'm beginning to wonder if the Republican crazy train has gone completely off the rails, and if we're past the point where anyone could possibly save the party.

Not that I'd be particularly upset if this does turn out to be the last year where the Republican party is at all a serious political power. Whatever its original ideas, it has long since become the voting bloc equivalent of an insane asylum, and we're long overdue for a bit of reform.

[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
22-08-2015, 12:53 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dona...93f7f6f2d4

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?