Trump scares the shit outta me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2015, 12:55 PM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2015 01:06 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Trump scares the shit outta me
(22-08-2015 12:20 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  That's the way I felt at first, but seeing "Donald Trump, GOP frontrunner" in a headline made me a little nervous.

Still, I don't think he'll get the nomination. The elite will give us the two candidates they want us to pick from just like they always do. Dodgy

I think Trump might be playing a long game here because he would rather have a Democrat in the White House. Either he gets the nomination and the Democrat trumps him or he starts a third party run and a Democrat President is a done deal. He's playing the GOP for fools. It's funny as fuck watching some of them having a deer caught in the headlight look, and others who are so far up his ass aping everything he says it looks like they've already endorsed him.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2015, 01:06 PM
(22-08-2015 12:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-08-2015 12:03 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Well that and we have to watch to find out what that hair-like thing on his head really is. Confused

The most disturbing thing about Trump's hair is that it's real. Hobo

It's a real something...just not sure what. His 'do has a Flock of Seagulls vibe to it.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
22-08-2015, 01:40 PM
(22-08-2015 12:52 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(22-08-2015 12:48 PM)cjlr Wrote:  People have been saying much the same thing for 8 years. I am curious to see how hard the tail need wag the dog before the "establishment" tries to do something about the team they've hitched their sled to.

Oh, so am I. I'd be even more curious to know what's going through their heads if he does get the party election, because there is absolutely no way Trump could ever take a presidential run.

On the one hand, yes. On the other, a ticket with Sarah Palin on it received 60 million votes.

(22-08-2015 12:52 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  It's a fair point about the eight years, though. I'm beginning to wonder if the Republican crazy train has gone completely off the rails, and if we're past the point where anyone could possibly save the party.

Not that I'd be particularly upset if this does turn out to be the last year where the Republican party is at all a serious political power. Whatever its original ideas, it has long since become the voting bloc equivalent of an insane asylum, and we're long overdue for a bit of reform.

Indeed. In a disengaged two-party system with turnouts as pathetic as in most US elections, the "natural" constituencies of each party are nowhere near a majority of the electorate. In the last couple decades the latter-day Democratic coalition (to whom "we might be self-interested corporatist shills, sure, but we're also the ones who aren't explicitly calling for repeal of your civil rights!" can look like a pretty good sell) has become larger than the contemporaneous Republican base. The system dictates that you can't really broaden your support without bleeding into your adversary, so the easy way out is to try attract the fringe that's closer to your side of things.

In theory there's point where the necessary histrionics to keep the radicals happy starts to alienate the centrists (both terms relative). I don't know where that point will end up being.

Anyway, up here, with an effective three party system in winner-take-all single districts, it only takes those smaller "natural" constituencies to win an outright majority. Even after alienating the traditional Red Tory lot, our Conservatives won an absolute majority of the Commons with 40% of the vote on 60% turnout (that's one in four eligible voters, if you're counting - and with the other 60% of cast votes split between parties which are all farther to the left; one could hardly being dreaming of gerrymandering one's way into as ludicrously unrepresentative a government as what we stumbled into by happenstance).

... this is my signature!
22-08-2015, 02:03 PM
He's a smart business man, but I'm not a fan of Trump, either...for a variety of reasons. He strikes me as sexist and racist. Just what the US needs! /sarcasm

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
22-08-2015, 03:53 PM
I think as he's forced to give more specifics in terms of how he's going to get Mexico to pay for the wall, etc., his ratings may go down with the people who vote in the GOP primaries. Also it's far from clear that he is ever going to make it to the point where he has to disclose his financials.

Trump as an actual GOP candidate would be lovely, exactly because he's been a CEO/job creator and it will be possible to look at the dismal effect of his management style on places like Atlantic City. I would most prefer him as a third party candidate a la Perot, because I don't think he's going to draw away much of the Democratic vote, and Republicans scare me. (Because: their economic theories and the Democrats' economic theories both seem not to work, but the Republicans' social policies are awful, and most Republicans seem much more enamored of social policy than economic policy. Plus social policy is much likelier to pass because both Dems and Republicans have been bought by the same corporations; the corporations don't care about social policy, as long as their tax loopholes stay open and their regulators stay paid for.)
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
22-08-2015, 04:02 PM
(22-08-2015 12:55 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-08-2015 12:20 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  That's the way I felt at first, but seeing "Donald Trump, GOP frontrunner" in a headline made me a little nervous.

Still, I don't think he'll get the nomination. The elite will give us the two candidates they want us to pick from just like they always do. Dodgy

I think Trump might be playing a long game here because he would rather have a Democrat in the White House. Either he gets the nomination and the Democrat trumps him or he starts a third party run and a Democrat President is a done deal. He's playing the GOP for fools. It's funny as fuck watching some of them having a deer caught in the headlight look, and others who are so far up his ass aping everything he says it looks like they've already endorsed him.

You make an interesting argument. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
22-08-2015, 05:24 PM
Trump is a clown. People like clowns in elections, they always poll well prior to the election but when push comes to shove people don't want to spend their vote on someone they find entertaining but absolutely do not want in power.

He wont win.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
22-08-2015, 05:39 PM
(22-08-2015 05:24 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Trump is a clown. People like clowns in elections, they always poll well prior to the election but when push comes to shove people don't want to spend their vote on someone they find entertaining but absolutely do not want in power.

He wont win.

Rob Ford. 'nuff said.

#sigh
22-08-2015, 06:13 PM
Oh right, I forgot you North Americans are weird as shit.

In light of this new evidence I retract my statement and make a new one.

[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
22-08-2015, 06:49 PM
Hillary or Trump. If those two are your only options...I'm sorry.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post