Trump scares the shit outta me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2015, 07:06 PM
RE: Trump scares the shit outta me
(23-08-2015 03:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 01:14 PM)cjlr Wrote:  John Adams and John Quincy Adams? William Henry Harrison and Benjamin Harrison? You say that like it's a new thing...

American politics were their most incestuous in the heyday of the Tidewater aristocracy, 200 years ago.

Let's not forget the Roosevelt cousins. Drinking Beverage

Fifth cousins, though. Which means they had a common ancestor in their great-great-great-great-grandfather (or *-mother). They were so distantly related they didn't even pronounce the name Roosevelt the same way.
(incidentally, Eleanor Roosevelt was Theodore's niece, and thus Franklin's fifth cousin once removed)

That's about as significant as being each other's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommates.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2015, 07:07 PM
(23-08-2015 05:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 04:55 PM)Alla Wrote:  Girlyman, make your home an open house to all who needs your bedrooms.

I've already done that, Alla. Opened my extra bedroom to the gay Nigerian 15 yo kid who got kicked out of his house for being gay some 15 years ago. He's now a Baltimore Raven cheerleader in medical school. After him, I've taken on 6 or so lost souls rejected for a variety of reasons ... mi casa es su casa.

OOOoooh Girly! Charity burn!

[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
23-08-2015, 07:28 PM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2015 07:47 PM by GirlyMan.)
(23-08-2015 04:55 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 04:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The Church of Latter Day Saints gives them homes to live in. You are not a good Mormon, Alla, you are an asshole.

Yes, with money that I contribute and you don't. So, who is asshole now? Tongue
Girlyman, make your home an open house to all who needs your bedrooms.

Have you offered up any room and board, Alla? 'Cause I have. So who is the asshole now?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
23-08-2015, 09:06 PM
(23-08-2015 01:43 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 01:28 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Actually, Trump pretty much said that.

He never said this. Give me a quote.

Trumpalumpacus Wrote:They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists.

[Emphasis added -- Thump]

Notice the lack of the words "some of them are". He broad-brushes all of them.

He's a racist ... and you agree with him.

(23-08-2015 01:43 PM)Alla Wrote:  All that I remember from his speech is that Mexico sends to the USA lots of rapists and killers. Everybody knows that this is true statement.

Link to sources with numerical data, then. Or, alternatively, shut your fucking piehole.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
23-08-2015, 09:19 PM
(23-08-2015 07:06 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 03:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  Let's not forget the Roosevelt cousins. Drinking Beverage

Fifth cousins, though. Which means they had a common ancestor in their great-great-great-great-grandfather (or *-mother). They were so distantly related they didn't even pronounce the name Roosevelt the same way.
(incidentally, Eleanor Roosevelt was Theodore's niece, and thus Franklin's fifth cousin once removed)

That's about as significant as being each other's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommates.

Quite a bit more significant than that. Dodgy

They socialized and competed. They considered themselves family.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-08-2015, 09:42 PM
(23-08-2015 09:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 07:06 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Fifth cousins, though. Which means they had a common ancestor in their great-great-great-great-grandfather (or *-mother). They were so distantly related they didn't even pronounce the name Roosevelt the same way.

Quite a bit more significant than that. Dodgy

Sure; they knew each other. Being acquaintances who share an ancestor six generations ago isn't any more significant a connection than being acquaintances who share an ancestor ten generations ago, or twenty... If they didn't share a surname nobody would think of them as anything other than wealthy politicians who happened to be loose contemporaries.

You've got family around Montreal, right? Even odds are we're fifth or sixth cousins, for all the significance that has!
Shocking

23-08-2015, 09:47 PM
(23-08-2015 09:42 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 09:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  Quite a bit more significant than that. Dodgy

Sure; they knew each other. Being acquaintances who share an ancestor six generations ago isn't any more significant a connection than being acquaintances who share an ancestor ten generations ago, or twenty... If they didn't share a surname nobody would think of them as anything other than wealthy politicians who happened to be loose contemporaries.

You've got family around Montreal, right? Even odds are we're fifth or sixth cousins, for all the significance that has!
Shocking

They weren't acquaintances, they were family.

That you think that their connection is meaningless is unimportant, they didn't.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-08-2015, 09:52 PM
(23-08-2015 02:14 PM)Alla Wrote:  I have compassion for those who give all they have to coyotes and then get killed or die in desert.

Compassion for the dead? Why, how big of you.
23-08-2015, 09:53 PM
(23-08-2015 09:52 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 02:14 PM)Alla Wrote:  I have compassion for those who give all they have to coyotes and then get killed or die in desert.

Compassion for the dead? Why, how big of you.

The easiest feelings to have are the ones you don't need to act on.

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
23-08-2015, 09:58 PM
(23-08-2015 09:53 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 09:52 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Compassion for the dead? Why, how big of you.

The easiest feelings to have are the ones you don't need to act on.

Mazactly.