Trump visit in Poland

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2017, 09:12 PM
RE: Trump visit in Poland
(10-07-2017 08:23 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Wasn't the point being made that Trump's narcissism blinds him to social norms?

Huh

Erm, I guess in effect, yes. However, he is fully aware and capable of sticking with social norms - but he is special and refuses to. No one can make him conform to those lower than him. (And that is just about everybody, some get lifted onto the throne for a time but they always develop faults... Consider ) Hence the tweets, the weird hand shakes, the shoving people out of the way etc. etc.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2017, 10:17 PM
(10-07-2017 08:23 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Wasn't the point being made that Trump's narcissism blinds him to social norms?

Every country has their own customs on greetings and handshake etiquette. I did a cursory search of Poland's social norms on handshakes, but didn't find the specifics of who shakes who's hand first. Perhaps you've found something more specific?

Quote:What are the masses lapping up?

"Donald Trump in handshake trouble... again" - BBC News

"Donald Trump 'suffers hilarious snub by Poland's first lady' - who goes straight to Melania instead" - the Mirror

"Polish First Lady inadvertently snubs Donald Trump's handshake" - the Telegraph
(At least this one is a bit more honest by qualifying with "inadvertently", something of which many other outlets fell short. Either that or, maybe the editors at the Telegraph are also unaware of social norms in Poland).

These are just a few examples of what people are lapping up without question.
[+] 1 user Likes TheBear's post
11-07-2017, 01:09 AM
(10-07-2017 08:23 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(07-07-2017 01:17 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  ...
Lastly Guardian seems to have different perspective.

From the link:
Quote:“The west became great not because of paperwork and regulations but because people were allowed to chase their dreams and pursue their destinies.”

I suppose it depends upon one's definition of 'great'.

The "West" became large because of expansionism (rampant dream-chasing / resource grabbing). Empires (East and West) became great due to mature systems of bureaucracy (process, law, defined rights and responsibilities).

Agreed. But West evolved.

Quote:There were a few references to "The West" in there. This article articulates well what that means for scriptwriters (Bannon/Miller).

Thanks for the link.

Quote:Wasn't the point being made that Trump's narcissism blinds him to social norms?

What are the masses lapping up?

Huh

Allegedly masses lapping up Trump being snubbed. But when one read a comments about this picture then masses are quick to point that:

a) it was protocol to great First Lady first
b) she shook Trump hand too

Not everyone know or cares enough to look further, some cheer said "snub" but I wouldn't say that this show particular gullibility.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
11-07-2017, 01:22 AM
(10-07-2017 10:17 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Every country has their own customs on greetings and handshake etiquette. I did a cursory search of Poland's social norms on handshakes, but didn't find the specifics of who shakes who's hand first. Perhaps you've found something more specific?

Former chief of protocol (szef protokołu dyplomatycznego) Jan Wojciech Piekarski says that there was no snub. It's woman who initiate the greeting with man, and woman greet another woman first.

There are differing opinions though.

Here is article (only in Polish).

Quote:"Donald Trump in handshake trouble... again" - BBC News

"Donald Trump 'suffers hilarious snub by Poland's first lady' - who goes straight to Melania instead" - the Mirror

"Polish First Lady inadvertently snubs Donald Trump's handshake" - the Telegraph
(At least this one is a bit more honest by qualifying with "inadvertently", something of which many other outlets fell short. Either that or, maybe the editors at the Telegraph are also unaware of social norms in Poland).

First and last titles are somewhat accurate. First is just right - Trump was "in trouble" cause he didn't knew this little detail about hand shaking.

Last one is kinda right too - ignoring outstretched hand was tiny faux pass according to another former chief of protocol Janusz Niesyto, as one don't ignore such even when it result of error.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
11-07-2017, 02:27 AM
(11-07-2017 01:09 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Not everyone know or cares enough to look further, some cheer said "snub" but I wouldn't say that this show particular gullibility.

Szuchow,

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Just look at Trump's face and demeanour. Smile Last time I saw him that weak was with the bald eagle.

D.
11-07-2017, 02:32 AM
(11-07-2017 02:27 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 01:09 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Not everyone know or cares enough to look further, some cheer said "snub" but I wouldn't say that this show particular gullibility.

Szuchow,

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Just look at Trump's face and demeanour. Smile Last time I saw him that weak was with the bald eagle.

D.

He is free to think that it was snub and if he thinks so then no wonder that he isn't happy. But who said that he is right? Check my posts above.

Mikhail Bakunin.
11-07-2017, 02:53 AM
(10-07-2017 09:12 PM)Dom Wrote:  ...
the weird hand shakes

... which made the lack of weirdness with Putin more noticeable. Did the small part of his brain that thinks decide he had met is match / his superior or did they agree in advance not to do a Macron?

Consider

(10-07-2017 10:17 PM)TheBear Wrote:  

Every country has their own customs on greetings and handshake etiquette. I did a cursory search of Poland's social norms on handshakes, but didn't find the specifics of who shakes who's hand first. Perhaps you've found something more specific?

Quote:What are the masses lapping up?

"Donald Trump in handshake trouble... again" - BBC News

Thanks. I missed all that.

Blink

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post