Trump wants to Ban Muslims from Entering US

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2015, 05:04 PM
RE: Trump wants to Ban Muslims from Entering US
(11-12-2015 01:31 PM)Alla Wrote:  So, why do I have this impression that atheists hate Christians while defend Muslims?

Because you've never listened to Sam Harris or Christopher Hitchens speak about Islam.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2015, 05:13 PM
(11-12-2015 04:55 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(11-12-2015 01:31 PM)Alla Wrote:  Oh, I am OK with helping refugees. The reason why I say this is because I am so surprised that atheists defend Muslims and they are so hostile towards Christians.

ManlyGirl is a good Catholic.
Laugh out load
(11-12-2015 04:55 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm not sure whether that supports or refutes your point. Hobo
This supports my conviction that Heart GirlyMan Heart is wonderful person Smile

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
11-12-2015, 05:14 PM
(11-12-2015 05:04 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(11-12-2015 01:31 PM)Alla Wrote:  So, why do I have this impression that atheists hate Christians while defend Muslims?

Because you've never listened to Sam Harris or Christopher Hitchens speak about Islam.
No, never. I assume it is bad.

11-12-2015, 05:16 PM
(11-12-2015 04:44 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  

I dunno, but it would be a false impression in my case. I don't hate anyone. My closest friend is a Catholic. One of my favorite writers is Orson Scott Card, a Mormon. And if someone proposed expelling all Christians from the US, I would be defending Christians. The reason I'm publicly defending Muslims at the moment is because everyone is shitting on them because of a handful of terrorists.

As for the religious beliefs of Christians and Muslims, they are equally silly.
Thanks for explaining. I always knew that atheists are great people. It is because I was an atheist and I was kind to people. And I liked fairness.

[+] 2 users Like Alla's post
11-12-2015, 05:21 PM
(11-12-2015 05:14 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(11-12-2015 05:04 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Because you've never listened to Sam Harris or Christopher Hitchens speak about Islam.
No, never. I assume it is bad.

Whether it's bad or good is up to you.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2...tions.html
11-12-2015, 05:25 PM
(11-12-2015 05:21 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(11-12-2015 05:14 PM)Alla Wrote:  No, never. I assume it is bad.

Whether it's bad or good is up to you.

I couldn't watch it: website declines to show this page.

11-12-2015, 05:31 PM
(11-12-2015 05:25 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(11-12-2015 05:21 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Whether it's bad or good is up to you.

I couldn't watch it: website declines to show this page.

Here's a different one.

[+] 2 users Like Matt Finney's post
11-12-2015, 09:14 PM

Personally I am not looking at the religion of the refugees. It is a factor because of the opposition. In fact, there are christian refugees, just nobody is talking about them.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
12-12-2015, 12:56 AM
(08-12-2015 07:54 AM)epronovost Wrote:  Considering his life in public entertainment, I am starting to think that Trump is in for shits and giggles. If he is not playing dumb, than truly, this man is the one of the greatest sack of shit in the world.

He's a deep cover Democratic double-agent, sent in to torpedo the Republican candidacy. Laughat

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
12-12-2015, 07:42 PM
(11-12-2015 01:31 PM)Alla Wrote:  Oh, I am OK with helping refugees. The reason why I say this is because I am so surprised that atheists defend Muslims and they are so hostile towards Christians. At least atheists on this forum. Not all of them. You are not one of these atheists. You are really wonderful person. You always have been kind to me.
So, why do I have this impression that atheists hate Christians while defend Muslims?

I can't speak for other people, but I can hazard a guess.

In America, about 75% of people identify as Christian. People who identify as non-religious are somewhere in the 5%-20% range, depending on how you define terms. Muslims make up less than 1% of the population.

So, generally speaking, Muslims aren't pushing themselves on American atheists the way that a lot of Christians do. We don't have to swear on a Qur'an when we testify in court. Tax dollars aren't spent erecting Muslim memorials on public lands. Powerful Muslim special interest groups don't influence legislature.

So, a lot of lashing out from atheists isn't against Christianity itself but against what is seen as undue pressure and influence. This is completely missing from American Muslims. Contrast this with any ex-Muslim atheists from Islamic countries: you never hear them complaining about the Christianity when they were growing up. They complain about Islam.

As far as defending Islam goes: I don't. I'm not going to tell Muslims they can't believe what they do the same as I won't tell Christians they can't believe what they do. I'm not a big fan of thought crimes. Any time it sounds like I'm standing up for Muslims, I can pretty much guarantee that I'm either
  • standing up for their equal treatment, or
  • speaking out against misconceptions.
I can say "that's just me" but any time I listen to another atheist explain themselves, they pretty much say the same things I'm saying.
[+] 5 users Like RobbyPants's post