Trump wants to Ban Muslims from Entering US

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2015, 11:40 AM
RE: Trump wants to Ban Muslims from Entering US
(08-12-2015 11:33 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 11:31 AM)wallym Wrote:  The harsh reality, is that mass shootings aren't the real threat. A nutjob with a gun kills 20 people if they do an amazing job? There are 300+ Million people in the US. 20, while a bummer, isn't a big deal yet. And mostly, they aren't 20. It's like 3. And I imagine a lot of those are family disputes or gang related which can be avoided by most.

The concern should be 9/11 style attacks. Big things that kill 100's, or 1000's, or more.

It’s not a “big thing” as long as it ain’t you? Consider

That's the same trick they use to sell lottery tickets.

Blog: http://141min.tumblr.com/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2015, 11:43 AM
(08-12-2015 11:40 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  France has to be thinking, "Hey Trump, we didn't give you that giant statue just so you could shit all over the meaning"

Perhaps most strikingly, the poll found that the French are increasingly hostile towards people from other countries. Sixty-six percent of those polled said there are too many foreigners in France, with 59% agreeing that “immigrants don’t try hard enough to integrate” (four points higher than last year).

Though a rejection of Islam is less widespread than in last year’s poll, 63% of French people think the religion “is not compatible with French values” (compared to 74% in 2013).

(source: http://www.france24.com/en/20140121-fran...h-penalty)

Blog: http://141min.tumblr.com/
[+] 2 users Like wallym's post
08-12-2015, 11:51 AM
(08-12-2015 11:43 AM)wallym Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 11:40 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  France has to be thinking, "Hey Trump, we didn't give you that giant statue just so you could shit all over the meaning"

Perhaps most strikingly, the poll found that the French are increasingly hostile towards people from other countries. Sixty-six percent of those polled said there are too many foreigners in France, with 59% agreeing that “immigrants don’t try hard enough to integrate” (four points higher than last year).

Though a rejection of Islam is less widespread than in last year’s poll, 63% of French people think the religion “is not compatible with French values” (compared to 74% in 2013).

(source: http://www.france24.com/en/20140121-fran...h-penalty)

I don't think it is just Islam, the history of that content has been through theocratic bullying for 2000 years. You could argue labels today sure, but they also need to not make it about labels anymore than we like it in the states.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-12-2015, 11:52 AM
(08-12-2015 10:33 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 10:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  Well, up until recently, none were done by Muslims. The rate of increase is something to be noted.

Is it?

Were they merely to occur at a rate commensurate with proportion of the general population - an assumption for the sake of this sentence - would it not be inevitable that they not occur until that demographic grew to be statistically significant?

Like I said, to be noted. From none to some is a rather sharp rate of increase.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-12-2015, 11:57 AM
(08-12-2015 11:31 AM)wallym Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 10:20 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Below is data regarding the Mass Shootings in the US, from 1982-2015.
There have been 73, if I counted correctly.

US Mass Shooting Data

Of those 73 shootings:

38 were committed by White Males with Legally Obtained weapons.
Looks like 3 (including San Bernardino) were committed by middle easterners.

Frankly, I don't think muslim immigrants are the real threat...

The harsh reality, is that mass shootings aren't the real threat. A nutjob with a gun kills 20 people if they do an amazing job? There are 300+ Million people in the US. 20, while a bummer, isn't a big deal yet. And mostly, they aren't 20. It's like 3. And I imagine a lot of those are family disputes or gang related which can be avoided by most.

The concern should be 9/11 style attacks. Big things that kill 100's, or 1000's, or more.

What's important is the amount of potential carbon footprints erased by a single cheaply made bullet or improvised explosive, global warming being more likely to kill us all than statistically insignificant shootings and bombings.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
08-12-2015, 12:14 PM
I'll agree to banning all Muslims from entering the country just as soon as we ban all Christians from running for President. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
08-12-2015, 12:15 PM
(08-12-2015 11:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 10:33 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Is it?

Were they merely to occur at a rate commensurate with proportion of the general population - an assumption for the sake of this sentence - would it not be inevitable that they not occur until that demographic grew to be statistically significant?

Like I said, to be noted. From none to some is a rather sharp rate of increase.

Statistically, a raise from 0 to 1 is an increase of infinity percent. Rolleyes

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
08-12-2015, 12:18 PM
It's hard to know how to weigh this whole thing, I'm torn between my disgust for the thuggish intolerant attitudes and tactics Trump and his supporters advocate AND my equal disgust for the barbaric and unjust practices that flourish in the Muslim world. I can't help but think that there's a much better way to address the very real threat of radicalized Islamic Jihadists than the kind of bullying xenophobic bullshit that Trump's all about. But I won't pretend that violent Islamists don't scare me just because it's politically correct to do so to avoid hurting the feelings of moderate Muslims.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
08-12-2015, 12:27 PM
Those with a desire to remain a superpower (and I'm all about conquest) would be wise to study up on the differences between the Persian Empire and present day Iran. Tolerance exists not just "because it's the nice thing to do," but because only small insignificant places who don't mind being excluded from the dealings of the rest of the world have the option to remain culturally isolated. In a country of 320(ish) million people, we just don't have that option.

The same applies to subcultural divisions within our country as well.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
08-12-2015, 04:09 PM
"I can't believe Trump would want to do something unconstitutional like this!! In unrelated news, we want to ban some guns." - Liberals

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Lord Dark Helmet's post