Trump wants to destroy the wall...between church/state separation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2017, 06:29 PM
Trump wants to destroy the wall...between church/state separation
President Trump wants to tear down the wall that actually matters as he told an audience of religious leaders at the National Prayer Breakfast that he would destroy the Johnson Amendment. The Johnson Amendment, for those who don't know, is a provision in our U.S. tax code that prohibits 501©(3) non-profit organizations from endorsing or opposing political candidates.

[Image: 03trump-master768.jpg]

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/02/us/po...trump.html

The truth remains true even after you question it. Funny how religions don't want you questioning them. Censored
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like BrianChariott's post
03-02-2017, 07:04 PM
RE: Trump wants to destroy the wall...between church/state separation
(03-02-2017 06:29 PM)BrianChariott Wrote:  President Trump wants to tear down the wall that actually matters as he told an audience of religious leaders at the National Prayer Breakfast that he would destroy the Johnson Amendment. The Johnson Amendment, for those who don't know, is a provision in our U.S. tax code that prohibits 501©(3) non-profit organizations from endorsing or opposing political candidates.

[Image: 03trump-master768.jpg]

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/02/us/po...trump.html

Yes, I saw this.

He has started seriously courting the christians - likely currency spent for Pence.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
03-02-2017, 09:50 PM
How else is he supposed to become the "God Emperor" his followers keep proclaiming him to be?

And in all seriousness, agreed he's laying the groundwork for Pence. So many Evangelicals and Trad Catholics I know are all "see! he is Pro-Life! He wasn't lying! And he's trying to take back our rights!"

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
04-02-2017, 12:46 AM
He's really dragging your country through the gutter isn't he.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 7 users Like earmuffs's post
04-02-2017, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2017 02:34 PM by Shai Hulud.)
Heh, just got told on sharing a post about the Johnson Amendment being important "Pope Leo XIII would disagree". Somehow, Trad Catholic guy, I think Pope Leo would more disagree with some random flavor of Evangelical becoming a state religion or something.

Edit: Ah, he won't let go.

Quote:I'm talking about principles, not details. Separation of Church and state was always a liberal ideal, and has always been rejected in principle by the Catholic Church. And Leo specifically refutes every reason you've given here in support.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
04-02-2017, 02:33 PM
(04-02-2017 12:46 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  He's really dragging your country through the gutter isn't he.

He couldn't wait to get to it either. He's running fast and loose with our Constitution.
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
04-02-2017, 02:39 PM
Even conservative judges have long since ensured that the "wall of separation between church and state" stays strong.

Source: The Separation of Church and State in the United States

From the article:
Quote:For approximately fifty years, separation of church and state was the touchstone for church-state jurisprudence, endorsed by liberal and conservative justices alike... While some judges and lawyers may have disagreed with the Court’s rhetoric, few contested the underlying principle

Short of a constitutional amendment (extremely unlikely) or a suspension of the constitution (possible under Trump given his personality, though unlikely), it's unlikely that DJT could do permanent damage to Jefferson's wall of separation.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
04-02-2017, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2017 02:50 PM by cactus.)
This isn't really about speech, is it? It's about churches forming political action committees. Or am I off in my assessment of what's happening here?

Also, I'm pretty sure this is the exact plot of God's Not Dead 3, which will of course misrepresent it and try to make it about "speech," when it's actually about money.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
04-02-2017, 03:02 PM
Perhaps I'm the only one here who thinks that this separation was a mistake?

Privatisation increases competition for survival ... all very Darwinian.

Look at all the countries that have an official state religion... they've successfully domesticated the viral meme.

There's a reason why places like Egypt went for an official state religion after the Arab Spring as they rebuilt their institutions (social contracts).

And before anyone says, "OMG Theocracy!!!" ... note the difference between a state religion and a religious state.

Yes

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
04-02-2017, 03:11 PM
(04-02-2017 03:02 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Perhaps I'm the only one here who thinks that this separation was a mistake?

Privatisation increases competition for survival ... all very Darwinian.

Look at all the countries that have an official state religion... they've successfully domesticated the viral meme.

There's a reason why places like Egypt went for an official state religion after the Arab Spring as they rebuilt their institutions (social contracts).

And before anyone says, "OMG Theocracy!!!" ... note the difference between a state religion and a religious state.

Yes

Yep. If there's an "official" religion, all the little edgy kids will want to rebel against it, especially when they see how tightly coupled it is with a corrupt government. I have a lot of faith in today's youth. Cool

It's not like the IRS actually enforces this shit, anyway. Let the whiny theocrats have their one last hurrah. It will serve as an example to future generations.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post