Trump will be president
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-10-2016, 12:55 PM
RE: Trump will be president
I voted today Smile

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
12-10-2016, 01:07 PM
(10-10-2016 04:10 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Trump will win. Book it. Write it down. Quote me.

I'm going to lay out my reasons for why Trump wins.

1. Lower democrat turnout than 2012. No Obama this time means African Americans won't be as motivated. Higher hispanic turnout won't make much difference as they are concentrated in areas Trump won't win anyway.

2. Bernie supporters (the youth vote) will stay home. Especially after the Wikileaks emails released today. Those video game controllers will be hard to put down for Hillary.

3. Hidden Trump support. 21 million registered voters failed to show up in 2012. Most of them white. They will show up this time.

So there you go. I'm out until the election is over. I will come back to gloat.

Or cry.

I'll just leave this here.

[Image: 1q0g9k.jpg]

Interactive version of the above map, and the accompanying article, may be found here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-...ald-trump/

This is copyrighted material, and being posted here under fair-use provisions.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
12-10-2016, 01:34 PM
(12-10-2016 11:40 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 11:13 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I think they should be, but make no mistake, I'm aware that it's never going to happen. The very people who would vote on such legislation stand to gain the most from its rejection, after all.

And that is one of the big problems with American democracy. All of your recent presidents have furthered the agenda of special interests much more than the agenda of the people because it's almost an unwritten requirement to be a crook if you want to be president. Bernie Sanders would have been the exception, but look what happened to him. His own party conspired to sabotage his run for president in favor of Hillary Clinton from the very beginning.

Yeah, what about Nixon? What about Ford? What about Carter? The fact that Carter is raising millions for habitats doesn't prevent him from making millions off of speeches. You can't just hand wave them away by saying "well."

In the same vein, you can contribute to businesses and politicians you favor with your money. Again, even if I grant you that his behavior corrupt as well (which I don't really have a problem with), that doesn't make the corruption of other public officials (the Clintons, in this case) any more acceptable.

Since you don't seem to have studied American history beyond the usual surface headlines, in 1880's Ulysses S. Grant, who was the 18th president of the US, was destitute after he left office. There was no pension for ex-presidents at the time. Grant had to sell his Civil War mementos to live on. He and his wife were given money by friends so they could survive. He finally wrote a book while he was dying of throat cancer and made $450,000 dollars from the royalties. There were some people who thought he was selling his soul for money and were disgusted by the book. Even so, it sold well.

Congress finally passed a bill giving former presidents a pension to live on. The spectacle of a former president on the streets begging for money was something Americans felt was was an international embarrassment. Abraham Lincoln's wife, Mary Todd Lincoln, took to selling her dresses and personal items to live on.

Of course we live in different times but this is the history of how former presidents, former writers* and ex government officials made money after retirement.

*Charles Dickens and Mark Twain both went on speaking tours across the US to make money in their retirement years as both were in serious need of funds. Today they would be making millions.
Have you adjusted Grant's $450k for inflation, df2? If not that would be just under ten million now.

One does wonder what the two authors you mentioned earned during their writing careers, and what they did with it then. But I would rather see a lot of the scientists and medical people who worked for the good of the world get the credit rather than the politicians who foul almost everything they touch.

Lecture tours and after dinner speaking have been staple incomes for many kinds of people for well over a hundred years. Pity that worms like Tony Blair still had enough twats who liked him to support him and pay to listen to him after we were rid of him. Then some silly bugger gave him a job he was never suited for IMO. [/rant]

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
12-10-2016, 01:38 PM
(12-10-2016 12:06 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 11:58 AM)Vosur Wrote:  There have been plenty of presidents since 1958; none of them felt the need to enrich themselves by 50, 100, let alone 130 million dollars by giving speeches to special interest groups after they left public office. Why do you think that is?

Many?

Ike died in 1969.
Kennedy died in 1963
LBJ died in 73
Nixon died in 94.
Ford died in 2006 -- but was again tainted.
Carter
Reagan -- Alzheimer's before leaving office
HW Bush one term has health issues now
Bill Clinton 53 when he left office in 2000

You can't compare the economics of the 1960s to today.

Many died a decade after leaving office!!!

The only us presdient who would have left office young enough to make serious money after his presidency would have been Kennedy -- had he not died in 63.

Had he not been assisinated he might have been 47-51 before leaving office. Young enough to make plenty of money.

Wha? Nixon was planning his "comeback" as early as 1974.
Nixon was all over the place after he was forced to resign. In fact, he got around more in the 80s than Reagan did! He had speaking engagements all over the country and continually wrote articles for various magazines. I recall Newsweek ran a story on his "comeback" and he turned up on several prominent magazine covers and news shows.
[Image: Clinton_Nixon.jpg]
Shit - before his death, he visited with Bill Clinton in the White House. He had a much better time after his terms in office than he did during. Believe me, he didn't scrounge for money.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
12-10-2016, 01:42 PM
(12-10-2016 01:34 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 11:40 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  ...Charles Dickens and Mark Twain both went on speaking tours across the US to make money in their retirement years as both were in serious need of funds. Today they would be making millions.

One does wonder what the two authors you mentioned earned during their writing careers, and what they did with it then. But I would rather see a lot of the scientists and medical people who worked for the good of the world get the credit rather than the politicians who foul almost everything they touch.

Lecture tours and after dinner speaking have been staple incomes for many kinds of people for well over a hundred years. Pity that worms like Tony Blair still had enough twats who liked him to support him and pay to listen to him after we were rid of him. Then some silly bugger gave him a job he was never suited for IMO. [/rant]

Mark Twain lost a lot of money investing in get-rich-quick schemes that didn't work out. The following article talks about one of his biggest mistakes (investing in an automatic typesetting machine):

http://www.fool.com/investing/high-growt...stake.aspx
12-10-2016, 01:43 PM
(12-10-2016 01:38 PM)kim Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 12:06 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Many?

Ike died in 1969.
Kennedy died in 1963
LBJ died in 73
Nixon died in 94.
Ford died in 2006 -- but was again tainted.
Carter
Reagan -- Alzheimer's before leaving office
HW Bush one term has health issues now
Bill Clinton 53 when he left office in 2000

You can't compare the economics of the 1960s to today.

Many died a decade after leaving office!!!

The only us presdient who would have left office young enough to make serious money after his presidency would have been Kennedy -- had he not died in 63.

Had he not been assisinated he might have been 47-51 before leaving office. Young enough to make plenty of money.

Wha? Nixon was planning his "comeback" as early as 1974.
Nixon was all over the place after he was forced to resign. In fact, he got around more in the 80s than Reagan did! He had speaking engagements all over the country and continually wrote articles for various magazines. I recall Newsweek ran a story on his "comeback" and he turned up on several prominent magazine covers and news shows.
[Image: Clinton_Nixon.jpg]
Shit - before his death, he visited with Bill Clinton in the White House. He had a much better time after his terms in office than he did during. Believe me, he didn't scrounge for money.

Yep he was trying...but Washington pretty much ignored him. He tried to rent a couple co-ops and wasn't allowed in.

But after his memoirs were released, and people remembered how good he was with China and Russia, he was slowly welcomed back.

That said watergate did sink him -- democrats still mostly vilified him until Clinton and really enough time had passed.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-10-2016, 02:58 PM
(12-10-2016 01:42 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 01:34 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  One does wonder what the two authors you mentioned earned during their writing careers, and what they did with it then. But I would rather see a lot of the scientists and medical people who worked for the good of the world get the credit rather than the politicians who foul almost everything they touch.

Mark Twain lost a lot of money investing in get-rich-quick schemes that didn't work out. The following article talks about one of his biggest mistakes (investing in an automatic typesetting machine):

http://www.fool.com/investing/high-growt...stake.aspx

Yeah, Mark Twain was a great storyteller but lousy with money. He invested in something else besides that typesetter and it went bust too but I can't remember what it was. Funny guy though. Laugh out load

(sorry if this was off topic folks)

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
12-10-2016, 03:07 PM
Mark Twain is never off-topic!
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
12-10-2016, 03:14 PM
Music RE: Trump will be president
(12-10-2016 03:07 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Mark Twain is never off-topic!
Anyone who can invent himself a name like that gets a vote from me!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
12-10-2016, 03:14 PM
(12-10-2016 01:34 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 11:40 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Since you don't seem to have studied American history beyond the usual surface headlines, in 1880's Ulysses S. Grant, who was the 18th president of the US, was destitute after he left office. There was no pension for ex-presidents at the time. Grant had to sell his Civil War mementos to live on. He and his wife were given money by friends so they could survive. He finally wrote a book while he was dying of throat cancer and made $450,000 dollars from the royalties. There were some people who thought he was selling his soul for money and were disgusted by the book. Even so, it sold well.

Congress finally passed a bill giving former presidents a pension to live on. The spectacle of a former president on the streets begging for money was something Americans felt was was an international embarrassment. Abraham Lincoln's wife, Mary Todd Lincoln, took to selling her dresses and personal items to live on.

Of course we live in different times but this is the history of how former presidents, former writers* and ex government officials made money after retirement.

*Charles Dickens and Mark Twain both went on speaking tours across the US to make money in their retirement years as both were in serious need of funds. Today they would be making millions.
Have you adjusted Grant's $450k for inflation, df2? If not that would be just under ten million now.

Wow, I didn't realize it would have been so much in today's currency. Thank you for that information. Grant was a Civil War general so I don't know if he got a pension from the military. I would suspect he probably got a small amount but not enough for a family to live on.

My great, great, great uncle was General Sherman who famously burned Atlanta, Georgia.....along with much of the countryside. He was asked to run for president after the war but declined. He was a good friend of Grants and attended his funeral. Sherman became good friends with several Civil War generals from the South he'd previously fought against and later attended their funerals too. Some of the Civil War military men had more respect for each other then than Republicans and Democrats do today.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
Thread Closed