(27-10-2016 03:36 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Laugh if you will. Big Grin

[Image: Monkeys-Laughing-On-The-Simpsons.gif]

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
27-10-2016, 04:38 PM
RE: Trump will be president
(27-10-2016 03:36 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(27-10-2016 07:22 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Sure, first they take away your right to own a Stinger missile and the next thing you know you are an outlaw for owning a Swiss Army knife.

In Australia, it's illegal to carry or possess any bladed weapon in a public place (just about everywhere). Which means, technically, I could be fined for carrying this little 1½" trimming knife on my keyring—hooked through my belt loop.

[Image: olfa.jpg]

Laugh if you will. Big Grin

The last time I went in for jury duty (4 years ago), they confiscated my Swiss army knife at the courthouse entrance (can't go in there with a "weapon", you know). This time I was smart enough to leave it at home.
27-10-2016, 04:46 PM
(27-10-2016 04:38 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(27-10-2016 03:36 PM)SYZ Wrote:  In Australia, it's illegal to carry or possess any bladed weapon in a public place (just about everywhere). Which means, technically, I could be fined for carrying this little 1½" trimming knife on my keyring—hooked through my belt loop.

[Image: olfa.jpg]

Laugh if you will. Big Grin

The last time I went in for jury duty (4 years ago), they confiscated my Swiss army knife at the courthouse entrance (can't go in there with a "weapon", you know). This time I was smart enough to leave it at home.

Did you get it back at the end of the day when you left? I had to toss a small Swiss Army knife into the trash ($8 shot in the ass Angry) going into the airport, many years ago. Hell, I can kill with a rolled up magazine, or my bare hands, for that matter (or my feet, if I can get my shoes off in time and get them in the perp's face.

[Image: 3BZBu60.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
27-10-2016, 05:34 PM
(27-10-2016 03:22 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(27-10-2016 07:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  [...] From the Washington Post.

I've cited a couple of points from your link Chas:

"On the campaign trail Mrs. Clinton frequently calls for new gun safety measures as she reassures law-abiding Americans their firearms won’t be targeted under her would-be administration...

The so-called "assault weapon" ban targets an entire class of firearm, including the most popular sporting rifle in the U.S. How is that not targeting their firearms? Consider

Quote:And critics such as Mr. Trump and powerful gun rights groups fear Mrs. Clinton would reshape the Supreme Court by appointing justices much more hostile to Second Amendment freedoms...

This is an outright and outrageous lie that [Mrs. Clinton] doesn’t want to take people’s guns, said Dudley Brown, president of the National Association for Gun Rights. Hillary Clinton has made a career of restricting citizens' Second Amendment rights and trying to ban, outright ban, entire classes of firearms. And if that’s not taking guns then I don’t know what is. All you have to do is pay a little bit of attention...

Mrs. Clinton’s platform calls for an expansion of background checks for all firearms purchases.

Private transfers of firearms do not require a background check; however, selling or giving a firearm to someone who is not legally able to own it is a violation of state and federal law - both the seller and the buyer have broken the law.

Quote:She’s also called for a reinstatement of the national assault weapons ban and a prohibition on high-capacity magazines."

The "assault weapon" ban (part of the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act of 1994) was demonstrated to have had no effect on crime or gun deaths and was allowed to lapse.

Nothing has changed to somehow make it effective.

Quote:I'd appreciate your views on my bolded phrases—particularly the three in the last para, which I agree with in total.

Why do you agree with them? What problem(s) do they solve?

Quote:—As a footnote, Dudley Brown is a self-described Christian of Baptist leanings, opposes abortion and homosexual relationships, and supports the notion of "legitimate rape".
Angry

So? He doesn't speak for me.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
27-10-2016, 05:43 PM
(27-10-2016 01:02 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  You know, Obamacare hurts me, but I still am 100 percent behind HRC because I know it's better for our country that the ACA exists. I'm paying out the ass for insurance coverage, but I know it's the right thing to do. I'm in no way a one-issue constituent and I think it's irresponsible to be one. She will win, I will be on the right side of history and it's a simple choice for me. I've volunteered for months now, and that is a first for me, it's that important.

I pay a lot for health care too but I know it's good for the country to have healthy children and especially pre-natal care for pregnant women. When a country neglects their children it affects the entire country later on down the road with much higher costs.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
27-10-2016, 05:53 PM
(27-10-2016 05:43 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(27-10-2016 01:02 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  You know, Obamacare hurts me, but I still am 100 percent behind HRC because I know it's better for our country that the ACA exists. I'm paying out the ass for insurance coverage, but I know it's the right thing to do. I'm in no way a one-issue constituent and I think it's irresponsible to be one. She will win, I will be on the right side of history and it's a simple choice for me. I've volunteered for months now, and that is a first for me, it's that important.

I pay a lot for health care too but I know it's good for the country to have healthy children and especially pre-natal care for pregnant women. When a country neglects their children it affects the entire country later on down the road with much higher costs.

Preaching to the atheistic choir.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
27-10-2016, 06:01 PM
(27-10-2016 04:46 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(27-10-2016 04:38 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  The last time I went in for jury duty (4 years ago), they confiscated my Swiss army knife at the courthouse entrance (can't go in there with a "weapon", you know). This time I was smart enough to leave it at home.

Did you get it back at the end of the day when you left? I had to toss a small Swiss Army knife into the trash ($8 shot in the ass Angry) going into the airport, many years ago. Hell, I can kill with a rolled up magazine, or my bare hands, for that matter (or my feet, if I can get my shoes off in time and get them in the perp's face.

[Image: 3BZBu60.jpg]
My husband almost got arrested (and almost missed his plane) in a German airport because he had a book weight--a leather strap with lead weights in each end that Barnes and Noble markets as a device you use to hold open a book. I had given this to him for a Christmas present, since I use mine all the time on the treadmill book rack. But in Germany it's classified as a weapon because you can whap somebody with it.

I had jury duty a couple of months ago...walked right into one the court buildings to sit in the selection lobby without any metal detectors, etc., but I wasn't called that day and never got into the actual court room. It seems annoying and unnecessary that you wouldn't be allowed to retrieve the offending item or put it in your car!
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
27-10-2016, 06:08 PM
(27-10-2016 05:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-10-2016 03:22 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Mrs. Clinton’s platform calls for an expansion of background checks for all firearms purchases. She’s also called for a reinstatement of the national assault weapons ban and a prohibition on high-capacity magazines."

Why do you agree with them? What problem(s) do they solve?

Too many loopholes in the background checking process. EG: If the FBI hasn't returned the check results within a 3-day period, you get the gun regardless.

No civilian has any justifiable requirement to possess an assault weapon—such as the semi-automatic Colt AR-15. Semi-autos are banned in Australia; why not in the US?

The (expired) 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban prohibited magazines that could hold more than ten rounds. That needs to be reinstated.

(27-10-2016 03:22 PM)SYZ Wrote:  —As a footnote, Dudley Brown is a self-described Christian of Baptist leanings, opposes abortion and homosexual relationships, and supports the notion of "legitimate rape".

Quote:So? He doesn't speak for me.

Why then did you include a link that implicitly uses Brown's pro-guns claims as disparagement of Clinton's proposed changes to US gun laws? Presumably you agree with his pro-gun/anti-Clinton stance? Which implies he is speaking for you does it not?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
27-10-2016, 06:21 PM
(27-10-2016 06:01 PM)julep Wrote:  It seems annoying and unnecessary that you wouldn't be allowed to retrieve the offending item or put it in your car!

I had a penknife that I always have on my keyring confiscated at the courthouse. They tagged it and I picked it up on my way out.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
27-10-2016, 06:26 PM
(27-10-2016 06:08 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(27-10-2016 05:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  Why do you agree with them? What problem(s) do they solve?

Too many loopholes in the background checking process. EG: If the FBI hasn't returned the check results within a 3-day period, you get the gun regardless.

No civilian has any justifiable requirement to possess an assault weapon—such as the semi-automatic Colt AR-15. Semi-autos are banned in Australia; why not in the US?

The AR platform is modular, light weight, accurate, and maintainable. It is the most popular sporting rifle in the U.S.

Quote:The (expired) 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban prohibited magazines that could hold more than ten rounds. That needs to be reinstated.

I ask again: what problem does this solve?

Quote:
(27-10-2016 03:22 PM)SYZ Wrote:  —As a footnote, Dudley Brown is a self-described Christian of Baptist leanings, opposes abortion and homosexual relationships, and supports the notion of "legitimate rape".

Quote:So? He doesn't speak for me.

Why then did you include a link that implicitly uses Brown's pro-guns claims as disparagement of Clinton's proposed changes to US gun laws? Presumably you agree with his pro-gun/anti-Clinton stance? Which implies he is speaking for you does it not?

The point was what Clinton has said; that was the context.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Thread Closed