Trump will be president
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
27-10-2016, 06:32 PM
RE: Trump will be president
(27-10-2016 06:08 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(27-10-2016 05:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  Why do you agree with them? What problem(s) do they solve?

Too many loopholes in the background checking process. EG: If the FBI hasn't returned the check results within a 3-day period, you get the gun regardless.

No civilian has any justifiable requirement to possess an assault weapon—such as the semi-automatic Colt AR-15. Semi-autos are banned in Australia; why not in the US?

The (expired) 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban prohibited magazines that could hold more than ten rounds. That needs to be reinstated.

(27-10-2016 03:22 PM)SYZ Wrote:  —As a footnote, Dudley Brown is a self-described Christian of Baptist leanings, opposes abortion and homosexual relationships, and supports the notion of "legitimate rape".

Quote:So? He doesn't speak for me.

Why then did you include a link that implicitly uses Brown's pro-guns claims as disparagement of Clinton's proposed changes to US gun laws? Presumably you agree with his pro-gun/anti-Clinton stance? Which implies he is speaking for you does it not?

Background check time is two weeks, not three days. In California, where I live, Federal legislation reduced the check time from three weeks, to two. Go figure.
Find all posts by this user
27-10-2016, 06:53 PM
Another gun debate! Gun debate, that's for sure!
We're gonna make the same arguments we've made a thousand times before!

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
27-10-2016, 07:03 PM
(27-10-2016 06:53 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Another gun debate! Gun debate, that's for sure!

So far, this is a discussion. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
27-10-2016, 07:24 PM
I ain't gonna go back and look, but I wonder whether it was a pro- or anti-gun person who made the turn?
27-10-2016, 07:33 PM
(27-10-2016 07:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-10-2016 06:53 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Another gun debate! Gun debate, that's for sure!

So far, this is a discussion. Consider

Fair enough. We'll use the lyric 'discussion' for the first chorus, then 'argument' for the second.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
27-10-2016, 09:12 PM
(27-10-2016 06:08 PM)SYZ Wrote:  No civilian has any justifiable requirement to possess an assault weapon—such as the semi-automatic Colt AR-15.

Ranchers here in Texas love the weapon for its accuracy at relatively long ranges, with its high muzzle-velocity and ease of maintenance. Good for shooting predators before they endanger your livestock.

Just for the record, an AR-15 isn't actually an assault weapon, which is a weapon with selectable fire-rate. An AR-15 is a semi-automatic rifle, and nothing more.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
27-10-2016, 11:22 PM
(27-10-2016 06:32 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(27-10-2016 06:08 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Too many loopholes in the background checking process. EG: If the FBI hasn't returned the check results within a 3-day period, you get the gun regardless.

No civilian has any justifiable requirement to possess an assault weapon—such as the semi-automatic Colt AR-15. Semi-autos are banned in Australia; why not in the US?

The (expired) 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban prohibited magazines that could hold more than ten rounds. That needs to be reinstated.

Why then did you include a link that implicitly uses Brown's pro-guns claims as disparagement of Clinton's proposed changes to US gun laws? Presumably you agree with his pro-gun/anti-Clinton stance? Which implies he is speaking for you does it not?

Background check time is two weeks, not three days. In California, where I live, Federal legislation reduced the check time from three weeks, to two. Go figure.

No. Federal law requires the use of the National INSTANT Check System. Key word is instant. They have 3 days to approve or disapprove but generally results come back within minutes. Each states has their own law on wait times after purchase before you can take the gun home. In California, it's 10 days. In Arizona where I live, I can purchase a handgun in about 15 minutes from the time I walk in the store. Fill out the questionnaire. Pay for the gun. They run the background check through NICS. I walk out with the gun. Just did it 4 days ago. Was in the gun shop less than a half hour. Got a new Glock 29.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
28-10-2016, 06:13 AM
[Image: 66157885.jpg]

Dodgy

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
28-10-2016, 06:33 AM
(28-10-2016 06:13 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  [Image: 66157885.jpg]

Dodgy

That made me chuckle ... Reminded me of this:

[Image: toystory.jpg]
[+] 6 users Like Mathilda's post
28-10-2016, 07:31 AM
After one of my presentations last night I was having a conversation with several of the young women and men when invariably the topic of the election came up. All of them are interns doing post-graduate work and are from other States. They had already sent in their absentee ballots and in every case they voted for Clinton and to a person they were very concerned and fearful of the repercussions of a Trump win, most especially the young women.

They so much want to see a woman president that understands their issues and concerns on a personal level. To them a Trump presidency would set back women’s rights decades and I agree. They have taken to the social media outlets to promote their case and say that on their campuses the overwhelming majority is voting Clinton.

For their sake I hope she is elected. To me a Trump presidency would be but a minor annoyance but what it signifies for them is a clarion call for all the mysoginists and sexual predators that abusing women is perfectly fine.

[Image: nasty_women_vote_button-rd8529fdfadef429...vr_324.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
Thread Closed