Trump will be president
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
06-11-2016, 08:14 AM
RE: Trump will be president
(06-11-2016 08:07 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(06-11-2016 07:50 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I unfortunately think they are kind of screwed whoever gets in if Clinton wins I suspect its not gonna be long before she faces the possibility of impeachment. Sometimes I feel like I'm watching an aircraft plunging to earth its awful but you just can't take your eyes off what's happening.

That doesn't near scare me as much as the possibility of armed, power drunk people staging an uprising if trump loses....

Yup, I can understand that for sure but to be fair if you read between the lines I was kind of alluding to that too, probably I should have been more specific though. Smile
Find all posts by this user
06-11-2016, 09:24 AM
If there is any good to take from this election then its mabe that many people in our modern world and the US particularly have seen how easy it is to have your country spiral down into something you have never even imagined even a short time before. Ohmy
For decades people have wondered how Adolf could happen in Germany. I think we have learned now, how fast someone can pop out of virtually nothing, how fast and how much he can gain followers (close to half the population in both cases!). Well actually it took Adolf 10 years, Trump...how long? Blink

We have learned how loud and clear he can annouce or commit the most heinous crimes (torture, war, being oblivious to "collateral damage" = killing innocent people without any remorse, opressing minorities), how openy he can advertise that he is going to violate the very constitution he is supposed to uphold (one of the many things that make him different to Adolf. He promises to uphold the constitution, Adolf flat out anounced ot abolish it, but still Trump just may not care to break the constitution). Yet, it doesnt seem to matter that we are living in an age of almost unrestriced access to information. Such phenomena seem to be independent from access to information. It looks like as long as someone "pushes" the right buttons on a fairly large part of the population, as long as he is able to create and exploit fear (fear seems to be the big overriding factor), people will follow him, no matter what. They will blend out any conflicting information. It seems to be something in our brains/minds that makes (lots of) us very susceptible to following whomever promises to relieve us from our fears (even if he is the one instilling them into us in the first place). If you think about Islam and Christianity, they are based on fear too, and they are extremely successful.

It seems by all means correct, that if you control peoples fears, you control said people. Everything else seems to be of secondary importance. Smartass

Having looked at all the information on the media, i am wondering what Trump would have had to say or do to make some people (LDH comes to my mind, im am sure there are people much more deluded) not support him. Would he have had to actually torture a person on stage? Actually harass or rape a woman? Actually, physically beat up a mexican or member of any other minority? What (the fuck) would stop people from supporting such a horrible individual? I am really curious, and would really like to know from a Trump suppporter first hand. Consider

Disclaimer: i havent mentioned HRC at all. So dont suppose i am thinking she is any good for the US.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
06-11-2016, 09:28 AM
(06-11-2016 09:24 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  If there is any good to take from this election then its mabe that many people in our modern world and the US particularly have seen how easy it is to have your country spiral down into something you have never even imagined even a short time before. Ohmy
For decades people have wondered how Adolf could happen in Germany. I think we have learned now, how fast someone can pop out of virtually nothing, how fast and how much he can gain followers (close to half the population in both cases!). Well actually it took Adolf 10 years, Trump...how long? Blink

We have learned how loud and clear he can annouce or commit the most heinous crimes (torture, war, being oblivious to "collateral damage" = killing innocent people without any remorse, opressing minorities), how openy he can advertise that he is going to violate the very constitution he is supposed to uphold (one of the many things that make him different to Adolf. He promises to uphold the constitution, Adolf flat out anounced ot abolish it, but still Trump just may not care to break the constitution). Yet, it doesnt seem to matter that we are living in an age of almost unrestriced access to information. Such phenomena seem to be independent from access to information. It looks like as long as someone "pushes" the right buttons on a fairly large part of the population, as long as he is able to create and exploit fear (fear seems to be the big overriding factor), people will follow him, no matter what. They will blend out any conflicting information. It seems to be something in our brains/minds that makes (lots of) us very susceptible to following whomever promises to relieve us from our fears (even if he is the one instilling them into us in the first place). If you think about Islam and Christianity, they are based on fear too, and they are extremely successful.

It seems by all means correct, that if you control peoples fears, you control said people. Everything else seems to be of secondary importance. Smartass

Having looked at all the information on the media, i am wondering what Trump would have had to say or do to make some people (LDH comes to my mind, im am sure there are people much more deluded) not support him. Would he have had to actually torture a person on stage? Actually harass or rape a woman? Actually, physically beat up a mexican or member of any other minority? What (the fuck) would stop people from supporting such a horrible individual? I am really curious, and would really like to know from a Trump suppporter first hand. Consider

Disclaimer: i havent mentioned HRC at all. So dont suppose i am thinking she is any good for the US.

It's not just fear, it's the comradery that arises from thinking one is sticking together against the imagined threats. The nationalism, combined with fear and comradery.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
06-11-2016, 09:42 AM
If you are correct then we maybe are far less civilized than we actually think of ourselves and are much more (still) tribal apes than we think.

A point many thinkers have raised, i know.

[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
06-11-2016, 09:48 AM
(06-11-2016 09:42 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  If you are correct then we maybe are far less civilized than we actually think of ourselves and are much more (still) tribal apes than we think.

That is exactly what I think. I actually see this as some sort of cross roads. Are we civilized enough to emerge from this with our civilization intact, or will we slide back a hundred years or so?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
06-11-2016, 09:54 AM
(06-11-2016 09:48 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(06-11-2016 09:42 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  If you are correct then we maybe are far less civilized than we actually think of ourselves and are much more (still) tribal apes than we think.

That is exactly what I think. I actually see this as some sort of cross roads. Are we civilized enough to emerge from this with our civilization intact, or will we slide back a hundred years or so?
Who knows but its pretty important all the tv networks here are covering it almost as much as a Brit election, there's even live coverage planned on the day and that's not happened before that I can remember.
06-11-2016, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2016 10:37 AM by GenesisNemesis.)
It's only been what, a couple hundred years since we've transitioned from feudal societies to democracies, and half a century ago, we underwent a second world war which could have ended "civilization" itself. We still have a ton of learning to do.
[+] 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
06-11-2016, 11:23 AM
(06-11-2016 09:54 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(06-11-2016 09:48 AM)Dom Wrote:  That is exactly what I think. I actually see this as some sort of cross roads. Are we civilized enough to emerge from this with our civilization intact, or will we slide back a hundred years or so?
Who knows but its pretty important all the tv networks here are covering it almost as much as a Brit election, there's even live coverage planned on the day and that's not happened before that I can remember.

We have life coverage tuesday night, on our two big public channels, for years now. I actually cant think of this being a smaller event than german elections. Blink

06-11-2016, 11:39 AM
I've posted this quote before, but I'll do it again:

Democracy is a device that insures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.
George Bernard Shaw

Good luck. You'll need it.

The one, true, and real Harvey

Bene vixit, bene qui latuit
René Descartes
[+] 2 users Like Harvey's post
06-11-2016, 11:44 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2016 01:21 PM by Gloucester.)
(06-11-2016 11:23 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(06-11-2016 09:54 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Who knows but its pretty important all the tv networks here are covering it almost as much as a Brit election, there's even live coverage planned on the day and that's not happened before that I can remember.

We have life coverage tuesday night, on our two big public channels, for years now. I actually cant think of this being a smaller event than german elections. Blink

Yup, this is a global event. The US currently still holds more actual fire power than any other single nation but cannot match Russia for deviousness, LDH's sig about good being weak applies here. America currently wants the world's approval in some ways, Russia gives not a shit.

The two sides are separated not so much by the usual left v right politics but by their whole philosophies. What does Trump want? Will he give a shit about the rest of the world?

Who knows, probably not even Trump!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Thread Closed