Trump will be president
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-11-2016, 07:09 PM
RE: Trump will be president
(12-11-2016 11:57 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(12-11-2016 09:22 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Yes, they certainly have laid out some worthwhile goals. Dodgy

Lighten up, trump is just playing around. He is saying that he will point certain people to get the electors to vote for him. Right after december 19th, expect trump to change those.

He doesn't need the electors to vote for him and knows that -- they will do it because that's their job. It would be a dangerous precedent if they went against that.

They tend to take their job quite seriously. He won those votes and I'm willing to bet they'll sleep fine at night doing their job to vote for him in all states he won -- their personal thoughts should be irrelevant.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-11-2016, 07:18 PM
(12-11-2016 07:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(12-11-2016 11:57 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Lighten up, trump is just playing around. He is saying that he will point certain people to get the electors to vote for him. Right after december 19th, expect trump to change those.

He doesn't need the electors to vote for him and knows that -- they will do it because that's their job. It would be a dangerous precedent if they went against that.

They tend to take their job quite seriously. He won those votes and I'm willing to bet they'll sleep fine at night doing their job to vote for him in all states he won -- their personal thoughts should be irrelevant.

Then why are they "voting" at all. If they are "required" to do something automatically, it's not really even a vote. A computer could do it. Anyone not free to vote their conscience is not really free to "vote". It's some sort of sham procedure.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
12-11-2016, 07:19 PM
(12-11-2016 07:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(12-11-2016 11:57 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Lighten up, trump is just playing around. He is saying that he will point certain people to get the electors to vote for him. Right after december 19th, expect trump to change those.

If the EC didn't elect Trump, it would probably be the end of the EC itself. Neither party would trust them to vote fairly in another election again.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
12-11-2016, 07:21 PM
(11-11-2016 08:41 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(11-11-2016 08:38 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  The muslim thing pretty much means muslims can come, but he ain't taking in any refugees, and if he does it will be a few and most of them will be people deemed able to help america

And lets be real, trump was never pro-life. Everytime he was asked about abortion he tried to give a non-answer. Hell he even said in the primaries he has no problem with planned parenthood. He only pretended to be pro-life to get the crazy evangelicals to vote for him.

He will still have to throw Pence a bone or two.

With any luck, he'll choke.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
12-11-2016, 07:29 PM
(12-11-2016 07:18 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(12-11-2016 07:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  He doesn't need the electors to vote for him and knows that -- they will do it because that's their job. It would be a dangerous precedent if they went against that.

Then why are they "voting" at all. If they are "required" to do something automatically, it's not really even a vote. A computer could do it. Anyone not free to vote their conscience is not really free to "vote". It's some sort of sham procedure.

Because back in the day, everyone couldn't travel to Washington DC to vote, so they arranged to have others do it. Yes, there is an escape hatch, but I doubt it would be employed in this case. It wasn't used when GW Bush became president. It wasn't used even though people floated the idea when Obama won a second term. You can call it our own election ritual.

We cast a proxy vote and they cast the real once which is ratified in December.

12-11-2016, 07:29 PM
(12-11-2016 07:19 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(12-11-2016 07:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  He doesn't need the electors to vote for him and knows that -- they will do it because that's their job. It would be a dangerous precedent if they went against that.

If the EC didn't elect Trump, it would probably be the end of the EC itself. Neither party would trust them to vote fairly in another election again.

It has nothing to do with “fair”, the electoral college was specifically designed to keep the electorate (that’s you and me) from electing someone unqualified to do the job.

“Alexander Hamilton was explicit: this mechanism was designed to ensure that “the office of president will never fall to the lot of any man who is not in an eminent degree endowed with the requisite qualifications.”

They would be doing their patriotic duty for the good of the country.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
12-11-2016, 07:40 PM
(12-11-2016 07:29 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(12-11-2016 07:19 PM)pablo Wrote:  If the EC didn't elect Trump, it would probably be the end of the EC itself. Neither party would trust them to vote fairly in another election again.

It has nothing to do with “fair”, the electoral college was specifically designed to keep the electorate (that’s you and me) from electing someone unqualified to do the job.

“Alexander Hamilton was explicit: this mechanism was designed to ensure that “the office of president will never fall to the lot of any man who is not in an eminent degree endowed with the requisite qualifications.”

They would be doing their patriotic duty for the good of the country.

I get what Hamilton was saying, but every four years this very topic comes up.

If you think there are riots now, can you imagine what will happen to our country if they feel the election was stolen from them?!

We cannot be so myopic to not see an action like that would have serious ramifications that go far beyond voter remorse from many people who might or might not even voted.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-11-2016, 07:45 PM
Quote:They would be doing their patriotic duty for the good of the country.

Indeed
12-11-2016, 07:51 PM
Quote:If you think there are riots now, can you imagine what will happen to our country if they feel the election was stolen from them?!

I honestly believe that the harm that Trump will cause will be far worse than the Civil War. I'm fully expecting a full scale holocaust. So, yeah, it's worth the rioting.
12-11-2016, 08:05 PM
(12-11-2016 07:40 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I get what Hamilton was saying, but every four years this very topic comes up.

If you think there are riots now, can you imagine what will happen to our country if they feel the election was stolen from them?!

We cannot be so myopic to not see an action like that would have serious ramifications that go far beyond voter remorse from many people who might or might not even voted.

We already have civil unrest and yes it can get worse but it has to be weighed against the possibility of someone as thin-skinned as Trump who doesn’t seem to have rudimentary knowledge of international diplomacy commanding the planet’s largest military and nuclear arsenal.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Thread Closed