Trump wins big South Carolina!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2016, 05:05 PM
Trump wins big South Carolina!
Since no one has mentioned it Trump had a big win in SC yesterday. http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-ele...imaries/SC I can't believe he managed to win having bashed Bush and after Cruz aired ads where Trump said he he supports abortion. The message of the republicans this year seems to be - "Fuck all those stupid social questions! As long you hate Mexicans and Muslims you're good enough for us."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2016, 05:19 PM
RE: Trump wins big South Carolina!
I think more than anything it's the fact that he's a true outsider and he's been at least somewhat successful in being an outsider. Cruz tried to run as an outsider, but ultimately he's part of a Senate that can barely pass anything, and anything that is passed he seemingly has an issue with all of it. That just makes him an ineffective outsider. Trump, despite his criticisms, is seen as successful in most circles.

Bush, on the other hand, never had a chance. Too even-keeled for the electorate. If you're going to be that uninspiring, you have to have some sort of a niche, like Carson behind a "renowned" surgeon. Rubio, in my opinion, is the only one even half presidential on the GOP's side.

The only way Trump gets the nomination is if Cruz and Carson stay in the fight and keep splitting the vote that would otherwise likely to go Rubio. Even if one of them dropped out at least it would make it closer. Until then, though, Trump will keep taking advantage of the split vote, and the GOP is running dangerously close to nominating a guy who doesn't have a chance in Hades at beating Hillary.

"The danger of religious faith is that it allows otherwise normal human beings to reap the fruits of madness and consider them holy." - Sam Harris
[+] 1 user Likes philosopher's post
21-02-2016, 09:13 PM
(21-02-2016 05:19 PM)philosopher Wrote:  I think more than anything it's the fact that he's a true outsider and he's been at least somewhat successful in being an outsider. Cruz tried to run as an outsider, but ultimately he's part of a Senate that can barely pass anything, and anything that is passed he seemingly has an issue with all of it. That just makes him an ineffective outsider. Trump, despite his criticisms, is seen as successful in most circles.

Bush, on the other hand, never had a chance. Too even-keeled for the electorate. If you're going to be that uninspiring, you have to have some sort of a niche, like Carson behind a "renowned" surgeon. Rubio, in my opinion, is the only one even half presidential on the GOP's side.

The only way Trump gets the nomination is if Cruz and Carson stay in the fight and keep splitting the vote that would otherwise likely to go Rubio. Even if one of them dropped out at least it would make it closer. Until then, though, Trump will keep taking advantage of the split vote, and the GOP is running dangerously close to nominating a guy who doesn't have a chance in Hades at beating Hillary.

Yea Carson really needs to drop out, he's hurting the Republicans by staying in.
It'll also be interesting to see where Jeb's 8% goes. Hopefully it goes to Rubio, he seems like the least shitty of the three front runners. I mean Cruz is a total nut job, I'd rather Trump than Cruz.

[Image: oscar.png]
21-02-2016, 09:34 PM
It's America. Does anyone really expect them to elect an intelligent president???

You've seen their TV documentaries, right?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-02-2016, 10:27 PM
ANY Hispanic, Muslim or woman in this country who votes for Trump has no idea on how to vote. FFS, there are millions of them, they will/should get it right. A Trump presidency is a nightmare for the entire world. Thus will end the "Great Experiment". Dodgy
22-02-2016, 01:32 AM
Trump won't get elected. He's too polarizing, and his nomination will spur a huge Democrat voter turnout.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
22-02-2016, 09:07 AM
(21-02-2016 05:19 PM)philosopher Wrote:  I think more than anything it's the fact that he's a true outsider and he's been at least somewhat successful in being an outsider. Cruz tried to run as an outsider, but ultimately he's part of a Senate that can barely pass anything, and anything that is passed he seemingly has an issue with all of it. That just makes him an ineffective outsider. Trump, despite his criticisms, is seen as successful in most circles.

Cruz is an outsider in that he's part of the system, but everyone in his party hates him. He's a Tea Party extremist who is a liability to the establishment.

Sadly (or happily?) the one candidate who would probably benefit the GOP most by running in the general is the one who's doing the worst and who nobody talks about. Strategically speaking, there are a lot of reasons for the GOP establishment to dump everything they can into propping up Kasich.
  • He's moderate enough that he doesn't scare away non-Republican voters just by talking.
  • He's moderate enough that my ultra-liberal wife (and others she's read about) would rather vote for him over Clinton (she hates Clinton).
  • He's the governor of Ohio, and it's a very pivotal swing state in the general election. Sure they can technically win by picking up votes elsewhere but historically speaking, Ohio has been crucial to the GOP winning or losing the white house.
But, of course, this is the primaries, where everyone has to try and out-conservative each other to get the nomination. So, they have to nominate the most moderate sounding extremist so that he can dial his crazy back during the general election without sounding like a flip-flopper.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
22-02-2016, 10:41 AM
Yeah, the Establishment screwed the pooch last year by not putting their money into Kasich right then and there.
22-02-2016, 01:20 PM
(22-02-2016 10:41 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Yeah, the Establishment screwed the pooch last year by not putting their money into Kasich right then and there.

...Although, since I posted that, I heard he put froth something to defund Planned Parenthood in Ohio. I'm assuming he's trying to pander to the crazy in his party, but this may end up costing him more. I guess he's not polling to well, so it's not like "doing the same thing" is likely to improve his odds.
22-02-2016, 11:08 PM
Agreed on all your points about Kasich. Especially that his pandering to the right with Planned Parenthood would hurt him with moderates and liberals who just hate Hillary.

"The danger of religious faith is that it allows otherwise normal human beings to reap the fruits of madness and consider them holy." - Sam Harris
[+] 1 user Likes philosopher's post