Truth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2017, 04:21 AM
Truth
Watching the first 45 seconds of this video got me thinking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoiW4KO_O...A&index=13

Is truth the highest concept there is? Whatever that means.

Not trying to be philosophical because I don't know how to. I've only just started studying it, but the above video got me thinking.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SeaJay's post
17-04-2017, 04:33 AM
RE: Truth
Love gets my vote. Heart

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
17-04-2017, 04:45 AM
Balance gets mine.

Goodevil

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
17-04-2017, 05:55 AM
Before I watch this, I want to note:

Pantheism
wikipeidia
Quote:Pantheism is the belief that all reality is identical with divinity, or that everything composes an all-encompassing, immanent god. Pantheists thus do not believe in a distinct personal or anthropomorphic god.

I don't think you can call yourself an atheist and a pantheist at the same time. The title of the video is "A New Way to See God". If you see god as existing in any way, then you're not an atheist.

Watching now.

Truth. I've heard truth defined as "that which is in concordance with reality." I can agree with that. I've also heard it said that since our experiences are defined by our perceptions, there is no common "truth", but there can be "true statements". That sounds like splitting hairs or word games.

The idea of an Omni- god breaks down as soon as you begin to really think about it. If there are inviolate, "ultimate" concepts, such as truth, then nothing, including a deity, could be greater then them. The ancient philosophers illustrated that idea with questions like "Could god make a rock so heavy he cannot lift it?".

The universe is god? A god that does not interact with humanity is essentially non-existent.

Whoa! Dude thought he was jesus for four days???
Interesting to consider what the outcome would have been if he had emailed a friend rather than his professor. The birth of a new cult perhaps?

Done. Meh. I'm not sold on defining pantheism as atheism. Other than that? I dunno. He seemed to be basing his idea of universe=god on a sense of positive things, ie interactions with people, nature, etc. Would he apply the same process if he was in the third-world slums? Or living a subsistence existence in a harsh environment? (Not criticizing, just curious.)

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
17-04-2017, 06:13 AM
(17-04-2017 05:55 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Before I watch this, I want to note:

Pantheism
wikipeidia
Quote:Pantheism is the belief that all reality is identical with divinity, or that everything composes an all-encompassing, immanent god. Pantheists thus do not believe in a distinct personal or anthropomorphic god.

I don't think you can call yourself an atheist and a pantheist at the same time. The title of the video is "A New Way to See God". If you see god as existing in any way, then you're not an atheist.

Watching now.

Truth. I've heard truth defined as "that which is in concordance with reality." I can agree with that. I've also heard it said that since our experiences are defined by our perceptions, there is no common "truth", but there can be "true statements". That sounds like splitting hairs or word games.

The idea of an Omni- god breaks down as soon as you begin to really think about it. If there are inviolate, "ultimate" concepts, such as truth, then nothing, including a deity, could be greater then them. The ancient philosophers illustrated that idea with questions like "Could god make a rock so heavy he cannot lift it?".

The universe is god? A god that does not interact with humanity is essentially non-existent.

Whoa! Dude thought he was jesus for four days???
Interesting to consider what the outcome would have been if he had emailed a friend rather than his professor. The birth of a new cult perhaps?

Done. Meh. I'm not sold on defining pantheism as atheism. Other than that? I dunno. He seemed to be basing his idea of universe=god on a sense of positive things, ie interactions with people, nature, etc. Would he apply the same process if he was in the third-world slums? Or living a subsistence existence in a harsh environment? (Not criticizing, just curious.)
I think the narrator was just telling us he went through differing beliefs after rejecting the idea of God. I don't think he ends up being anything at the end.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes SeaJay's post
17-04-2017, 06:22 AM
If I had to choose (admittedly, without watching the video), I'd go for knowledge, or something like this. Not sure what they mean by highest concept, but I think science and the knowledge we've gathered by means of it is our highest achievement. Okay, science and art.

And sympathy, is what we need Johnny, my friend, 'cause there's not enough love to go round... I'm rather partial to sympathy, because it's, in a way, less selfish than love (not selfish in a bad way; it's just that you can have sympathy for someone you despise or don't care about one way or the other. The desire to lessen someone else's pain, even if it's someone in whose well'-being you don't have any personal interest (other than as in a fellow human being's) or don't expect the same in return from...)

Now when you climb
Into your bed tonight,
And when you lock
And bolt the door
Just think of those
Out in the cold and dark
'Cause there's not enough love to go round

[Chorus]
And sympathy
Is what we need my friend
And sympathy
Is what we need
And sympathy
Is what we need my friend
'Cause there's not enough love to go round

Now half the world
Hates the other half.
And half the world
Has all the food.
And half the world
Lies down and quietly starves

'Cause there's not enough love to go round,
No there's not enough love to go round...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
17-04-2017, 06:32 AM
Truth
Love
Balance
Sympathy

Thumbsup

I’d like to add Wisdom and Kindness

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
17-04-2017, 06:39 AM
(17-04-2017 06:13 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  I think the narrator was just telling us he went through differing beliefs after rejecting the idea of God.

Hmm. You're right. After Looking at his video list, I agree.

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
17-04-2017, 06:39 AM
(17-04-2017 04:21 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Is truth the highest concept there is? Whatever that means.

I watched your video and have several comments:

I also deconverted from theism at the point when I could no longer consider God as equal to the truth. So for me what is true is an overriding priority and honesty is the key to approaching truth. However, instead of considering truth as a concept with a capital "T" -- Truth -- it's better to think of it as an assembly of facts.

That is difficult to do for people raised to think theism important, which is no doubt why the person who made the video at first thought he must somehow reform religion. People with a fact-based approach to truth realize, however, that all the necessary information is already very easily available to anyone interested. What theists are missing is the will to learn what is true.

Yet another point missed by the video is that the concept of God, whether theistic or pantheistic, also includes consciousness. God is thought of as a conscious being. This is not an idea embraced by materialistic atheists. The self-organization which created the realities we know was a blind, material process guided only what whatever worked. There is no reason to personify or anthropomorphize it at all, or to worship or love it.
[+] 6 users Like Thoreauvian's post
17-04-2017, 06:40 AM
(17-04-2017 06:32 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Truth
Love
Balance
Sympathy

Thumbsup

I’d like to add Wisdom and Kindness

Compassion and/or Empathy.

[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post