'Truth' & Logic.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2012, 04:26 PM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2012 04:38 PM by Mr Woof.)
'Truth' & Logic.
Logicians concern themselves with both inductive and deductive reasoning in their pursuit for what some loosely describe as truth.

Deductive arguments are concerned only with the sententential structure of what is being claimed, its validity as distinct from actual real degrees of probability.

Please consider:
Many humans grow another nose.
John is a human being
Therefore John could grow anther nose

This argument is deductively valid as if the premises were true the argument would be' true'? or highly probable.

Again please consider:
Many humans grow another nose.
My cat grew another nose
Therefore my cat must be human.

The second version does not follow structurally in word context so is not valid.(lol)

Inductive reasoning holds that the premises being argued are true by virtue of the fact that the hypothesis has been rigourously tested and meets the relevant criteria and observational requirements to become a worthy pragmatic theory or law.

An old inductive argument went like this:
All swans are white
This bird is a swan.
Therefore it is white.

This argument was allegedly true and valid by virtue of its premises and correct format..... until black swans were discovered in Australia.

Logicians, involved with long and highly convoluted arguments use symbols and systems known as trees and truth tables, to get rid of fallacies, which may be as simple as a wrongly placed comma altering the context of what is being claimed..

It may help us all, in our arguments, to realize that if the most stringent logical analysis only deals in degrees of probability, especially within the Big Picture, that our own, sometimes strident claims, may be helped by just a little toning down.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Mr Woof's post
01-09-2012, 01:35 PM
RE: 'Truth' & Logic.
I just started formal logic this semester. I think it will greatly improve my way of philosophizing. Thanks for sharing.

[Image: pudalo15fa2.png]

Blog.
01-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Who needs logic?

I have a stick!

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
01-09-2012, 02:33 PM
There is no truth, only conclusions based on the pretense or knowledge.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
01-09-2012, 02:39 PM
(01-09-2012 02:33 PM)Thomas Wrote:  There is no truth, only conclusions based on the pretense or knowledge.

Oh! That's so true.

(see what I did there?)

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
01-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Valid- if the premises are true the conclusion must be true.

Sound- if the premises are actually true.

I pretty much start and end there.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
[+] 1 user Likes TrulyX's post
01-09-2012, 08:43 PM
(01-09-2012 02:50 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  Valid- if the premises are true the conclusion must be true.

Well said.

So should we call you ValidlyX or SoundlyX from now on?

01-09-2012, 08:58 PM
(01-09-2012 08:43 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(01-09-2012 02:50 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  Valid- if the premises are true the conclusion must be true.

Well said.

So should we call you ValidlyX or SoundlyX from now on?

So Truly

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
03-09-2012, 09:16 AM
It only becomes truth when the logic is given flesh inside a Field Programmable Gate Array.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
04-09-2012, 03:08 PM
In all technicalities, nothing that we assume is "true". We already make three assumptions when assessing reality. In order for us to claim our observations are true, we must assume reality exists without evidence.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab