Truth, how important is it in your life?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2016, 01:52 PM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2016 02:47 PM by Heatheness.)
Truth, how important is it in your life?
"Truth is relative." unknown

Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom. - Thomas Jefferson

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything. - Mark Twain
................................................................................​................................

We're taught from a very early age "don't lie, tell the truth" but how much of that really is a day to day reality for you? How much do you lie?

What do you feel is a cut off between a "little white lie" and a blatant lie?

What about omission, lie or no?

Do you feel others lie a lot or a lot more than you?

Do you lie for work? Do they ask you to?

When is it okay or even expected for someone to lie? Job interviews, dating sites, relationships? Children?

For myself I'm a very honest person but I still do lie at times when it's being kind to do so to help boost someone's moral or when pushed into by someone who is not respecting my boundaries. I also think omission is a lie especially if the omission is with someone you have a trusting relationship with as this, to me, is a betrayal.

What I have been known to do is to tell people it's not your business when asked a question that I didn't want to answer and I felt was not their business. I don't feel this is a lie. I have also had people/bosses at work ask me to lie like, "Say I'm not in." or other things but I refuse. I will say they are not available but I will not lie about if they are there.

I feel like lying is becoming the norm though. I see it in all areas of my life, people I know, people in the news, politics (nothing new there) and I'm not liking it much.

How do you feel about truth vs lying?

EDITED to add-

Is cheating on your mate lying?

This is when you have a fidelity agreement and you break it to have a relationship with someone else that your mate does not know about or consent to. Do you see that as lying even if you don't have to actually lie about where you are/were directly?

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2016, 01:57 PM
RE: Truth, how important is it in your life?
All animals use deception to survive. Humans take the cake by successfully deceiving themselves into believing they don't.

Honesty is indeed an important tool when working in coordination with those who have similar objectives, but is not ethical or rational in all situations by default.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
13-01-2016, 01:59 PM
I think it is important to be a honest person but Kant view was extreme. I would say that it is acceptable to lie when one is forced to answer about topic that one feels should not concern person asking - it is still a lie but I could not care less as I don't think that honesty should be absolute. Also omnision isn't a lie I would call it a middle ground between truth and lie.

As for lying becoming norm I think it already happened. Lies are common I suppose, we just do not always (or often?) recognize them.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
13-01-2016, 02:25 PM
I won't claim that I never lie (That would be a lie! Tongue), but I usually have a good reason for it. I never lie to people out of spite or to hurt them, though I do sometimes lie to or deceive people in order to gain various abstract benefits for others or myself.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
13-01-2016, 02:45 PM

This is when you have a fidelity agreement and you break it to have a relationship with someone else that your mate does not know about or consent to. Do you see that as lying even if you don't have to actually lie about where you are/were directly?

(I wish I would've put this in the OP. I will edit and add.)

13-01-2016, 02:47 PM
I never lie.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
13-01-2016, 03:01 PM
It's a matter of perspective I guess. Generally honesty should be the norm. But there is plenty of situations where lying would be alright though I'm not sure it's set in stone when and how it's alright. Omission can be lying. To cheat on your mate isn't something I'd call lying.
13-01-2016, 03:11 PM
(13-01-2016 02:45 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Is cheating on your mate lying?

It's not lying I would say. Infidelity I deem to be closely tied with omnision - as you don't inform you partner about it - and in specific cases with oathbreaking.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
13-01-2016, 03:18 PM
(13-01-2016 03:11 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 02:45 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Is cheating on your mate lying?

It's not lying I would say. Infidelity I deem to be closely tied with omnision - as you don't inform you partner about it - and in specific cases with oathbreaking.

I think I do see it as lying.

If you are pretending that everything is fine and going along according to what you both agreed to except that you are not really doing what you agreed, then acting like you are is a lie. It's actually a lie everyday. IMO

13-01-2016, 03:20 PM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2016 03:31 PM by jennybee.)
We're taught from a very early age "don't lie, tell the truth" but how much of that really is a day to day reality for you? How much do you lie?

I try not to lie simply because I was so angry for being lied to by the church and my parents. That said, I do the white lie thing sometimes--for example, if a friend asks me if I like her new hairstyle *after* she goes on and on about how much she likes it. She loves it and is feeling good about herself, why should I piss all over that simply because it's not my style? So ya, I would probably just tell her it looks nice.

I would have lied to protect Jews in Nazi Germany and would lie to protect anybody that was under persecution.

What do you feel is a cut off between a "little white lie" and a blatant lie?

A white lie to me is done to protect someone's feelings. The cost of my saying to my friend "Your hair looks like shit" would do more harm to her self-esteem than my simply saying it looks nice. I wouldn't go on and on about loving it, but I would say that it looks nice, but really loved it more when she had it styled in such and such a way in the past.

A blatant lie, imo, the lie is done more for the benefit of the liar than for the other person--whereas the white lie is to preserve someone else's feelings.

What about omission, lie or no?

No, but could still be a form of dishonesty.

Do you feel others lie a lot or a lot more than you?

I like honest people, so I try to surround myself with people like that. It does take me awhile to fully trust somebody though and I usually have my guard up for a little while, especially in rships. But it's just in the beginning stages and it's only for a little while, while I get to know the person. To me, I view it as a safety precaution--both with my heart and my personal safety.

Do you lie for work? Do they ask you to?

I have never been asked to do this at any of the places I worked. The only work-related lie I've told is the fake sick day thing (you know, the ones where you go to the beach to "recuperate" Laugh out load )

When is it okay or even expected for someone to lie? Job interviews, dating sites, relationships? Children?

I would say never, for the most part. (See my white lie example/persecution example).

Yes.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post